1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Leinenkugel's Hoppin' Helles

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by AnalogErik, Aug 16, 2013.

1. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (375) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Chaz likes this.
  2. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I bet they did put five hops in there. No more, no less.
    copslovebeer, Roguer, Omnium and 5 others like this.
  3. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

It's supposed to come out some time this year. I'm planning on giving it a shot.

Anybody see it in stores yet?
  4. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (375) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

They have it at my local here in minnesota, so i'd guess its available in wisconsin
  5. waitforit

waitforit Disciple (55) Wisconsin Jun 30, 2013

Just bought a six while in Minnesota for the weekend; I'll check when I get back to Wisconsin.

Pleasantly surprised, as I usually am when Leinenkugel's manages to adequately represent a given style. Not sure about the "Hoppin'" part, but it's an eminently drinkable Munich lager, so... yeah. Worth a try.
  6. Proverbial: "It's made by Leinenkugel so it must suck!"

I'm actually looking forward to trying it. I've been mildly impressed by beers under the Leinkugel brand.
  7. Theniz

Theniz Savant (325) Indiana Nov 13, 2012

I know its out here in Indy, buddy at work said its pretty tasty, I know they have cases of just Hoppin Helles, its also in their fall variety pack, I'll probably check it out, leinenkugel has never impressed me, but none of their beers have been terrible, its decent for the really cheap price point.
  8. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

It's not supposed to be an IPA -- it's a style that isn't highly hopped... they're out here.
  9. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Sacrilege! ;)

Had heard about this one coming down the pike for a good while now, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
    steveh likes this.
  10. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Can anyone confirm if Leinie's uses artificial flavoring in their beer?
  11. waitforit

waitforit Disciple (55) Wisconsin Jun 30, 2013

Got another sixer in Madison. This confirms it's one of the best I've had from Leinie's in a long, long time.
  12. felsenpils

felsenpils Zealot (80) Wisconsin Nov 4, 2012

Tried one last night. This is absolutely not a Munich Helles. It is a decent American lager. Strong west coast hop aroma and flavor, followed by a caramel malt taste and then dissolving into a Chinook hop aftertaste. If you like beers like Samuel Adam´s Noble Pils or Schell´s Pils (MN), then you will like this one. One of the better specialty products from SAB-Miller-Leinenkugel´s.
  13. Kurt_Rasner

Kurt_Rasner Initiate (5) Sep 1, 2013

Wife picked up a 12 for me today at the local grocery store in Indiana, not bad.
  14. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

This was a boring beer. Not even sure it represented style.
    ZAP likes this.
  15. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

I'm drinking my first one right now. I was pretty thrown off by the name and expected it to be more hop forward. It's growing on me though.
  16. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Not to style? Of course not, it's a hopped up helles. Hence the name, Hoppin Helles.
  17. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I'd argue it's not hopped up either
  18. steveh

Compared with... ?

I'd say it has plenty of hops -- the wrong hops for a Helles lager, mind you. It would win points in a blind APA competition.

Is it as hopped up as some of today's hop bombs? No, but it's not meant to be on that extreme. But for a Leinie's beer it has some hop character that is unusually good.
  19. As one of my brewing friends says, a Helles should shout MALT, and whisper hops.
  20. steveh

I don't know about "shout," but I understand the concept. Helles is mellow and should go down the gullet without thought -- just satisfaction.

The Leinie's Hoppin' Helles is just another American Pale Ale to my palate. OTOH, it's one of the best beers from Leinie's I've had in a while.
  21. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

hi, i'm relatively new to "craft" beer.. 10-12 years or so.. from reading the last handful of comments i'm having trouble deciding if this beer is a Helles or not, if it's to style or not, if it's too hoppy or not hoppy enough, if it's more like a Pilsner, Lager, Helles or APA and if Leinie's made a good or bad beer.

surely there must be a right answer
    bozodogbreath likes this.
  22. steveh

Good or bad will always be differing opinions between beer drinker. If you tend to like an American Pale Ale such as Sierra Nevada's, you'll probably like the Hoppin' Helles. Is it true to a Helles in style? Not really.
  23. ZAP

Yeah I just didn't get much hops at all....I guess maybe some light bitterness on the finish but I didn't get much for hop flavor even putting it into an APA competition. I had a six pack of it too. I'd say I'd give it another shot but I'm not buying it again....
  24. To me, this is a pilsner, and an enjoyable one at that. I think that it's named Hoppin' Helles for marketing reasons.
  25. steveh

They're using Simcoe and Citra (even added the trademark in the description), pretty characteristic hops. I think your palate threshold for hops has been raised too far!
  26. ZAP

Yeah not sure why I didn't get more hops from it...wish I did I'd buy it if it tasted like a decent apa but I just didn't get much from it....and Simcoe and Citra are arguably my two favorite hops..
  27. Took the words right out of my mouth (err hands). I'll give it a shot, and I'm fairly excited. If it's halfway decent it will add to the extremely small list of American brewed Helles I can get my hands on.

I just hope it isn't IPL-like.

Edit: Crap, I should have read the rest of the thread. More like an APA? That's all well and good if it's a decent pale ale, but a decent pale ale I can get. Oh well.
  28. I saw this in their variety pack.
  29. In variety pack in Pittsburgh.
  30. steveh

Exactly.

On the other hand, Leinenkugel's price point is pretty good, at least in the Midwest.

31. If I want a cheap pale ale with Citra, that's well-balanced and not insanely hopped I typically grab Victory Headwaters. Runs about $10 per six pack where I am, which is cheap for Boston.
  32. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (575) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

that's not a proverb. It's experience.
  33. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I see they've adopted Miller's marketing strategy
  34. steveh

Yikes. The Leinie's was $7.