1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lengths you've gone to, to access craft beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BILF, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BILF

BILF Savant (465) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Recently I had the pleasure of touring Costa Rica as part of a group on business. Months before the trip I checked the beer scene out on the internet which revealed a total of one craft breweries in Costa Rica and a very limited offering of local macro brews. Panic set in.

I knew that I needed to reach that brewery. To cut to the chase I managed to divert an entire tour bus full of my fellow travellers unawares to this brewery (Volcano Brewing). I spoke to the tour guide and told him of my dilema and how it was unlikely that my fellow travellers would agree to the change in itinerary. He was really cool and said leave it to me. As we pulled into the brewery no one on the bus except for me and the tour guide knew what was going on.

When we got off the bus I headed to the bar as the others on the bus were treated to a tour of the brewery and an explanation of brewing.

Later they joined me at the bar for a two hour session of APA and Brown Ale.

As we got back on the bus the guide said to everyone that if they had a good time to thank me as it was my idea. They were in shock and thought it was all part of the itinerary. Thankfully they all enjoyed the detour very much.

Even the tour guide thanked me and said he would include the brewery tour for future groups.

What lengths have you gone to to get a real beer?
  2. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I have smuggled SNPA into a concert at the Savvis Center. Was sitting in a suite with unlimited AB products too.
    devlishdamsel and Carrico like this.
  3. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Other than the occaisional smuggling of beer into a movie, concert, show or something of the sort nothing too crazy. I have however found myself shipping beers to my home when on vacations or traveling.
  4. BILF

Sweet! Sending yourself beer.
    devlishdamsel and creepinjeeper like this.
  5. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

I have a fantasy vacation that my husband will grant me when I get tenure. Belgium? nope.

<----I just want to go to chicago and eat at a certain brewer's pub :p
    oh, and the foodie in me also insists on a full dinner at charlie trotter's. Man Chicago folk are spoiled!
  6. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (355) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

On our honeymoon, we wanted to do Charleston and Savannah. I made two conditions: we go to Ft. Sumter, and we go to Friday toasts at Moon River in Savannah.
  7. Real beer is not available in South Africa so every beer I drink has to be shipped to me from either Europe or the USA.
    Zach136, luwak and ChanChan like this.
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

This. I have taken a shine to taking advantage of Southwest allowing 2 checked bags for free as a means of me bringing beer home from wherever I go. Typically try to fill a 12-bottle styro shipper, and check it as a bag, and then stuff as many more bottles as I can into my suitcase without exceeding the weight limit. This has allowed me to bring home significant stashes of non-local beer at no shipping cost for me.

But it does require that I run around like an idiot trying to buy beer everywhere I go......
    beerborn and ChanChan like this.
  9. BILF

What about Namibia ? Nothing doing there?
  10. Hmmm. Let's see. Compared to the other posts here, nothing much.
    stayclean likes this.
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (545) California Dec 12, 2009

I sneaked in a couple bombers of Life & Limb into a concert at the Hollywood bowl last summer, I poured them into some A&W rootbeer plastic bottles.

Yea, the Hollywood Bowl allows you take alcohol and food to their regular venues, but when artists rent the place alcohol is not allowed in and they sell nothing but macro-crap, but you can still take some food and soft drinks ;)
  12. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Nothing too crazy. Taken the 1.5 hr round trip to Bennington Beverage for Heady a couple of times when they were getting steady shipments of it.
  13. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

He totally deserved it.
    Lare453 likes this.
  14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Wait, you didn't say whether the beer was good or not.
  15. truckmann

truckmann Aficionado (140) Oklahoma Jan 18, 2009

Trusted a guy that I have never actually met in person to pick-up and send me some Black Tuesday. Turned out great since he didn't even have to charge me for shipping! (He was able to ship it through his work).
  16. In Reno?
    Overlord and Durb777 like this.
  17. Today I drove 350 miles for 4 cases of heady topper. I'm actually at McDonalds right now and have 150 miles left till I get home. You know what I'll be washing these burgers down with.
  18. I recently had my mom in Pennsylvania purchase a case of Brooklyn BCS for me, then had her take it to one of my best friends back there who owns a moving company. He put it on one of his trucks headed to LA, and I met the driver at a truck stop in Phoenix. Free shipping.
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I recently took a vacation to Columbia...and knowing that there is no craft beer in Columbia, I got ahold of a horse. I then put three cases of Founder's Double Trouble into his rectum, purchased 3 boxes of Ex Lax, and sent my horse on his way. I met him, fed him, and drank Double Trouble all weekend. *this is a lie. No great story for me.
  20. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

No amount of whales will ever get that taste out of my mouth.
    IcemanCometh and MarcatGSB like this.
  21. I drove 351. Or at least that's what google maps is telling me the distance is. Then the additional 30 or so to Hill Farmstead the next day. Then back home the next. Well worth it.
  22. Where did you find a grenade? You should probably lay low for awhile.
    ezperkins2, Zach136 and meanmutt like this.
  23. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Funny I live in chicago and love BCBS, big john, matilda, etc But I've never been to the goose island pub or charlie trotters.
    Brunite likes this.
  24. I brought 3 Alpine Bombers and a 4 pack of Abrasive with me to Mexico lasr spring. Not to say that that was all I drank for a week but it gave me a break from Sol and Corona.
  25. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Just to watch him die.
    gcamparone likes this.
  26. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

I had to lay low out of the country for a while, so I took an absolutely awful job shepherding morons around as a tour bus driver in Costa Rica. It was hot, the people were feckless and dull, and I had a powerful thirst on for good beer that was almost impossible to sate. There's only one decent fucking brewery/bar/tasting room in the entire country. Well, this one time I got lucky while on the job.

This crazy, wild-eyed gringo came down on a trip with a bunch of of other pasty white folks from his business. He mentioned he was into beer. He seemed incredibly naive so I took advantage of the opportunity. I subtly convinced him to completely ditch the scenic tour his company paid for .. that was designed to go through safe areas ... and instead authorize me to drive hours of the way to the a not-safe-at-all part of the country so I could drink at the brewery. And I let him think it was his idea, and he bought it!!!!

I told him I would get permission from the company and other passengers and he was trusting enough to buy that bullshit. Of course, nobody knew that it wasn't part of the itinerary until hours later when I had drank my fill.

Given the part of the country Volcano brewing is located in, we're lucky none of the tourists got mugged or worse. Plus I was stone-cold drunk when I drove them back. My eyes were tearing up both from suppressed laughter and from drunkenness as the gringo beer-connoisseur pretended on the way back that he and I were somehow conspirators in this scheme.

The best part? Everybody else on the bus got stuck with some stupid ass fucking tour of this backwater brewery while me and the gringo drank at the bar. Of course, I was nowhere near him, as that would have ruined the experience.

To top it all off, at the end, I thanked him for his idea and told him I'd use it in the future.
    KillerTofu90, mborden, IKR and 13 others like this.
  27. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Flown with beers in checked bags a few times. The first time I did so I packaged it into three boxes very 'nicely' (my brother said it looked like I was packing bricks of cocaine), and filled a checked bag with these boxes. The bag came in over the weight limit and I DGAFed, so I paid the extra $60 or $90. I was happy to be bringing home many bottles of Midwest beer to CA for my family. The organization paying for my flight ended up picking up the tab for the overweight bag.
  28. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Was that all at the Cannery? Heard they were limiting to 1 case/person. Maybe that was just around the holidays.
  29. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

First, I'm mega-jealous. I want goose island to spew from my faucets.
    Surprised you're not lured by the idea of a fab burger served with an outrageous brew. Charlie Trotter's is a different story. Super $$$$$... once in a lifetime level.
    jplopez21 likes this.
  30. On a family vacation with the wife and two kids in tow, I drove two and a half hours out of the way (on a 7 hour car trip) to swing by the Ithaca brewery to get some Brute. We were a little late getting into town to have dinner with my wife's sister and family. 5 years ago and I still occasionally get grief from that escapade.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  31. Oh yeah?? Well, I drove 352!!
  32. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

Drove 1,274 miles to go to Hunahpuu Day last year. Plan on doing the same in March.
    OnWisconsin and luwak like this.
  33. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Today I traveled a total of 16.2 miles round trip for my restocking expedition. Took like 25 minutes of the day too!:D
    WassailWilly and Fujii13 like this.
  34. Yeah.. from what I've seen the limit changes depending on how much they have left. The lady at the desk pretty much made up the 5 case limit on the spot. When I called yesterday, it was 3. She said they're usually sold out by Friday morning.
  35. Is everyone going to ignore overlords brilliantly written story? Cheers overlord. Well done.
    JxExM likes this.
  36. It was all right but it was racist of him to assume everyone's a cracka
  37. To the OP, that was a GREAT story! Wow! :)

For me, not quite as good. Does totaling my wife's van on the way to the Hill Farmstead Harvest Festival and never making it there count? (and all my friends I was meeting there had to bring it back to PA for me- TRUE story) The other one one is hitting my parents up to be mules for a few cases of MOAS. They can't ship to PA so I had them shipped to my parent's doorstep in Indiana, floated them cash for shipping, and my dad forwarded the catch to PA. Funny thing is, I go ahead and order the cases and tell my parents after the fact when I'm handing my dad $ (and he's looking at me like I have three heads) at Thanksgiving with one of those conversations, "...Oh, and BTW..." :p He's pushing 70 now and looks at me and shakes his head and just laughs!! He's lightened up in his later years because early on he would have "kicked me in the pelvis".
    fujindemon74 and JxExM like this.

38. Best post of 2013
    Overlord, JxExM and DennyCrane like this.
  39. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Once became a facebook friend (arghhhh) with a female just to gain her confidence and friendship, which I then used to help myself procure vast amounts of fresh, highly unobtainable beer. Yes....she worked at a local brewery. Yes....I feel terrible about it. Really. Terrible.