1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Less of high ABV or multiple session beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I've started drinking more during the week. Right now it tends to be 1 higher abv (dfh 90, he'brew bitter etc.). Of course the lowest beer i have right now is sucks so that might be the reason. I've never bought many sessions beers, time I find some good ones I think.

2. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

It depends. If I'm sitting by myself, I either drink low ABV beers, or whatever strikes my fancy.

BUT if I'm playing Gamma World (table top RPG) with my friends, I tend to drink higher ABV beers because playing while tipsy is fun. Either that or I just get a 750ml bottle of whatever and drink the whole thing by myself.

ufmj and gatornation like this.
  3. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

I like to start off with a relatively low abv beer (5.5 to 7%) and have 1 or 2 of those before I hit a high abv beer, and if it is the weekends I may have a couple in the high abv range (above 8% somewhere).

4. Regardless what day of the week it has been, and for the last few months or so, I've mostly been drinking very tasty high abv beers (stouts). As such, I'm having difficulty enjoying session beers. Not that I'm complaining...

In order to keep up with this type of consumption, I make sure I sweat my ass off everyday and maintain a good diet.

dianimal likes this.
  5. Nerds everywhere just felt their pants get a little tighter.

Nectar, BeerKangaroo, Hanzo and 7 others like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

With the cold weather, I seem to gravitate to higher abv brews, not that I don't drink them when it's warm out too.;)

I love me a good session beer and when the mood strikes...Deschutes River Ale at 4.0% abv fits the bill.(pun intended)

7. dieBlume

Bahahaha. Gaming & beer is epic. It gives me and my friends an excuse to drink during the week. They all split Beck's or whatever and I bring my own good stuff.

cmmcdonn, kemoarps and gcamparone like this.
  8. I hope you're drinking a Ninkasi Critical hit while playing that!!

9. dieBlume

Hahaha. I don't think we get that in PA.

Also, would I have to roll a d20 and get a crit if I wanted to drink it? Because if so, that would suck.
    Half the time I roll initiative I'm like...last to go.

10. considering the beers logo....yea..it might have to be a 20..At least it will age nicely while you wait to hit that 20.
    [​IMG]

11. Gimme a couple high ABV.

Less bathroom time.

12. Session ales can be good, but usually with higher ABVs you get more for you money. I've seen 6 packs of Stone Levitation for 11 or 12 bucks while their IPA is maybe 11 and same with their PA.

13. dieBlume

The bottle I first saw didn't look so...badass. This photo makes it look much cooler. I don't like that style of beer, but I almost want to try it JUST because of its name. And yes, I'd probably end up aging it waiting to roll a crit. lol

BigBarley likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Rule #29 & #30 of the internet. Come one, into beer and table top RPGs?

Watch out.

15. dieBlume

Well yes, technically if we're going by the rules of the internet, I don't exist at all. We just don't fit through the complex series of tubes that is the internets.

YOU CAUGHT ME. D:

Hanzo likes this.
  16. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

If I have a day off, and some housework to do, I stick with session(y) beers so I don't get fuzzy and cop out on the chores. But when I get home from work and I'm sore and tired, I liked to grab something that is at least 8% and up (not every time, of course.)

dieBlume likes this.
  17. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Depends what I am doing. Come summertime at a music festival in between bands we want to catch...give me the session beers. Founders all day in cans in 12 packs was made for this (can't wait till these come out). I practically don't have to bring anything else, except for coffee beers for breakfast of course. At home watching a movie or playing some games, I'll nurse a nice imperial stout, quad, barleywine, etc...

18. founder's all day ipa is a good session beer, clocking in at 4.7% abv and sam adams double agent ipl is right at 5%. those are my 2 session beers. the sam adams i can get for $7.99 a six and the founders is $9.98 a six.

19. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I don't care. I drink what I want, when I want.

20. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I wouldn't try telling the cops that :p

21. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I do agree that craft lighter beers under 5.5% shouldn't be priced the same as >8% beers. I find after drinking a lot of Impy Stouts and double IPAs and heavy Belgians etc. over the winter by sipping 1 of them and being content for the night, when I just bought a 6 pack of SA Noble Pils the other day, I sucked them down like water (well 2 per day instead of 1 heavy beer). I just downed a very tasty Port City Essential Pale Ale (5.5%) in like 10 minutes. I was thirsty.

22. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Actually, if craft brewers lagers and lighter ales etc could get set price points about no more than $1 more a 6-pack than BMC...that would really sway most Americans into craft vs sticking with the cheap watery beers. But when many craft low ABVs I see priced at $10-$11 a six pack and comparable ABV BMC's are around $7 that is a big price difference to get the same buzz and the taste difference isn't significant for most non-BAs out there to pay the difference.