1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Let me see your Can-Cans Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by BigGene, May 8, 2013.

1. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

so um.

a 46 lb monster is en route.

however, i realized last night, when getting a beer from my haul in the fridge, that i forgot to pack out my "canned" item in the box, as it was sitting on the countertop all "yo, you forgot about me, wtf man, i thought i was going for a ride"...

so, target, expect your canned item a day or two later than the box, but it is coming.
    skipjack17 and ufmj like this.
  2. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

Been working nights these past two weeks, so sleep has been a hot commodity as of late. This 25-lb beast arrived on Tuesday:

[​IMG]
    - Embasa Chipotle Peppers (in adobo sauce)
    - Musco Family Large Early California Olives

[​IMG]
    - Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
    - Devil's Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale
    - Devil's Canyon California Sunshine IPA
    - Golden Road Get Up Offa That Brown
    - Golden Road Point The Way IPA
    - Maui Big Swell IPA
    - Maui Coconut Porter (serious "want")

[​IMG]
    - AleSmith Speedway Stout ("want")
    - Bootlegger's 80 Anniversary Ale
    - Bruery Hottenroth Berline Weisse (definitely should be a "want")
    - CCB White Oak-Aged Jai Alai ("want")
    - FW Parabola '13 ("want")
    - Rough Draft Hop Therapy DIPA

No note in the box, but I'm pretty sure sofisdad is responsible for paralyzing my FedEx guy from the waist down...nothing a little physical therapy can't cure. Thanks for an absolutely redonkulous box, brother!
  3. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I have pretty much narrowed it down to 1 I think, logjammin, is it you? :)
  4. Its just about time for Mr. UPS to stop by my house. I know he will be dropping something off today, but if my guess is correct he may have something else for me as well. Fingers crossed.
  5. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (470) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Great box, I agree, looks like David's handiwork
    ufmj likes this.
  6. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

My target's box arrived today!

Lift from the knees, Joe!
  7. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (575) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

So I'm sitting at home today. My daughter got out of school yesterday and camp doesn't start for a couple days. In other words, an enforced vacation for me since the wife is out of town. Doorbell has been ringing all day. One of her friends or another coming over to play, so I've been ignoring it and letting her answer. Doorbell rings again. I keep watching ESPN.

"Dad, you have a package!"

WTF, I'm not expecting anything...or am I?

[​IMG]

Return address: Florida, as expected!

Note: "Fragile" stickers to ensure rough handling.

The haul:

[​IMG]

Boiled Peanuts - I know this is a southern thing but they look scary.
    CCB Jose Marti - NOW we're talking!
    2x White Oak Jai Alai - Definite want
    2x Tocabaga Red Ale - Haven't had, but it's highly rated!
    CCB Cucumber Saison - Certainly the most interesting bottle in the box. A must-try whether I like it or not. ;)
    Swamp Head Sciaenhops Imperial Red - It took me like 5 tries to type that correctly.
    CCB Gates of Hell - love baltic porters! Can't wait to try this one.
    CCB Homefront IPA - Not familiar with this one. Hmm, 6%. Might be dangerously sessionable!
    4x CCB Maduro Brown Ale - I like a good brown. Cans are even better for the summer.
    6x CCB Jai Alai - I'm going to carefully evaluate these with an eye to changing my current rating, if appropriate. :D

Overall - Awesome box, MatthewPlus! (I'm assuming it's you since the return label listed Matthew). Lots of Cigar City goodies and a few other breweries I'm not as familiar with. That's the best part of this - getting some stuff we know and want, and some stuff we didn't know about. It's like Christmas in June, right? Fortunately my wife isn't home for a few hours, giving me time to hide the loot.
    BenTenison, skipjack17, ufmj and 7 others like this.
  8. Every side says "This Side Up" Haha.

Just mind fucking the Fedex guy for laughs I guess.
    ufmj, ThreeFishes and RyanCave like this.
  9. wow, Ryan Cave. My porch was rocked by a giant box when i got home from work. 48 lbs of cans, and those are some mighty fine cans if I do say so myself.

pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cans:
    Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout x6
    DC Brau Wings of Armageddon x6
    DC Brau Corruption x6
    Full Nelson IPA x6
    Bottles:
    Victory Storm King x2
    Heavy Seas Peg Leg x2
    Old Rasputin x2
    Evolution IPA x6
    Grower:
    DC Brau Corruption !

1x giant can of nuts

first time i can say a giant box, full of cans, a big jug and some nuts, killed my back and gave me a hernia and an erection in a matter of minutes. as you can see i didnt wait and busted the nuts already, next up a beer!

Thank you Ryan, you crushed it!
  10. gonna be a good weekend of drinking :)
    usofar and bcm75 like this.
  11. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

glad to see it got there safe, Bromigo! enjoy the concert!
    averagjoe3 and MatthewPlus like this.
  12. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

bcm- glad you like the box.... hold on to the gates for a while, i have a feeling it will get even better with some age... hopefully some fresher jai alai (about 2 weeks now i think?) will help change your opinion of it.
    and the boiled peanuts. not locally canned, i know.
    but you can buy them at nearly every gas station in tampa, and all reputable redneck crossroads..
    its the country caviar!!
    and i had the same thoughts about the "this side up" labels... repackaged box, what can you say? glad all got there safely, enjoy bud!!
    bcm75 likes this.
  13. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (575) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

That, sir, will be a tall order.
  14. to my target the fedex truck is delayed, it looks like you will be getting the package tommorow
  15. There is a lot of that going on down here. Must be the storms and such.
    dgthrasher likes this.
  16. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito Savant (395) Oregon Sep 29, 2011

OK guys. Long winded story so please bear with me here. I get home from work around 2 PM Pacific time everyday. For the record, I'm a beer buyer for a chain of stores here in Oregon. As I'm pulling into my place, I see a Fedex truck parked a couple buildings down from where I live. Immedieately I get super stoked thinking I'm gonna get a box from my sender. As I'm walking in my front door, the truck pulls up directly in front of my place. Excitment building to orgasmic levels at this point. Watch the driver get out with a very small package and knock on my neighbors door. SHIT!! Today's not the day. Fast forward 2 hours. Doin some laundry after just cracking my last fridge beer. Looking through this thread to see how many boxes have landed already. When suddenly, an aggressive knock hits my door. "Who the fuck is that?", I say to myself. Look through the peephole... Fedex driver #2!!! Boom! Porch bomb! I open the door with a shit eating grin. And to quote the driver, "Careful, it's REALLY heavy!" Pics to follow soon...
  17. Next (final?) Hint: I picked up what I thought was the last item for my box this evening. Then I stopped at 2 more beer stores on the way home. This box will have several of the same beers as the box RyanCave sent, as there's quite a bit of shared distribution in the DMV - District, Md and Va. I can't wait to see the haul because I honestly forget what all I bought and how much. All I know is there will be 4-5 smaller boxes inside one big box. This box is not going in the same direction as RyanCave's box.

Wow. That wasn't really a hint, more like incoherent rambling. Are you trying to get me drunk??
    averagjoe3 and texasdrugaddict like this.
  18. leftoverburrito

Ok. First off, HUGE THANK YOU to texasdrugaddict!!! Nailed several wants and some other future wants I'm sure.

Second, shout out to BigGene for putting this together! You've got a little somethin coming your way as well my friend.

Lets get to it! The cans...

[​IMG]

Sante Fe Brewing Imperial Java Stout X1 (Mmmmm... coffee stouts)
    Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi X1 (Want)
    Great Crescent Brewing BB Stout X1 (Probably future want)
    La Cumbre Elevated IPA X4 (Huge want)
    Ska Brewing Vernal Minthe Stout X2 (Love me some mint chocolate)
    Ska Brewing Mole Stout X1 (Interested to try this one)

12oz bottles...

[​IMG]

Odell IPA X2 (Another Huge want)
    Marble Brewing IPA X1 (Excited to try this one)
    Odell St. Lupulin Pale X1 (Again, excited)
    Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout X1 (Intrigued)
    Founders Backwoods Bastard X2 (HUGE Want and also my first Founders Brew)

The bombers...

[​IMG]

Clown Shoes Luchador En Fuego (Future Want)
    Clown Shoes Porcine Unidragon (Looking forward to trying this one)
    Southern Tier Imperial Oat Stout (Love Southern Tier)
    Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer (Stoked)
    Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon (Want)

The swag...

[​IMG]

2 jars of Sadie's Salsa! (I'm a huge hop head and a huge heat head so these are right in my wheelhouse)
    2 Leinenkugel's fishing bobbers (Gonna double as Christmas tree ornimants)
    Last but not least a sweet La Cumbre Glass!

This is my first BIF and it's been super fun! Looking forward to more of these in the future with you guys!

Cheers!
  19. I figured with the name Leftoverburrito, salsa would be a good idea. Just wasn't sure if Hot was gonna be too hot, so I sent the "Not as Hot" too. Both are good but the Hot is Hot.

Also, I love the Clownshow Stouts, some people don't care for them that much but Blacon and Vampire are great yr round big boy stouts to me and the other too are really great seasonal stouts IMO. The Mole Stout is something else and will surprise you, very unique. Enjoy the box and let me know what you think of some of them.

P.S. I didn't know those were fishing bobbers, haha. I was putting them in my beer thinking they were to let know when the can was getting empty. Haha.. No wonder I couldn't get them to work right.
    leftoverburrito likes this.
  20. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

TDA, we may have to work something out for some of that sweet sweet la cumbre one day!
    ufmj and texasdrugaddict like this.
  21. Any day your ready, Its 10 mins down the road and open 7 days a week. Haha. So just shoot me a BM whenever and we will work it out.
    ufmj, codyhaskell and boogercrack like this.
  22. leftoverburrito

Hot is never too hot for me.

Confession: I had no idea what they were either! HaHa! I did a barcode look up for them!
    texasdrugaddict likes this.
  23. codyhaskell

codyhaskell Savant (300) Texas Aug 27, 2009

Did my pictures not show up for you? I thought since you responded that you could see them.
    Link to photo post.
  24. codyhaskell

My target hasn't posted in over three weeks. Should I send a search party?
  25. Elevated IPA is absolutely fantastic. Send tda all your virgins in exchange for this glorious beer.
  26. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Your target has been on the the site in the last 24 hrs, maybe he has forgotten about this BIF. maybe you want to wait to ship until you see his box land.
    codyhaskell likes this.
  27. theo871

theo871 Savant (325) Maine Jan 22, 2004

Man, those are some great hauls so far. Message for my sender: I am thirsty, please send cans!
    texasdrugaddict and VegasHopHead like this.
  28. Message for theo871: I am thirsty as well, send me heady and ill send you whatever cans your heart desires
  29. Target, I have 4 wants and am planning on sending Monday. But, I may just make it 5 and wait until the end of the week
  30. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Theo already sent me his box and it did have Heady in it.
  31. founder26

So your not my sender?...
  32. Hint!

My boxes have made a stop along their way in Champaign, IL.
  33. Why would that make me not?
    founder26 likes this.
  34. founder26

Lol because you didnt respond when I posted yesterday that I narrowed it down to you, I spent like 3 hours trying to figure it out!
  35. Might need to spend 3 more........

Hint # whatever: founder26 is not my target. Sorry
  36. founder26

Wtf really!?... hmmm ok back to the drawing board
  37. Dear Target,

I have not forgotten about you. Tonight, I plan on packing 300+ oz of goodness representing 5 Florida breweries. At the beginning of the week, hey will be making their journey to a land which is roughly 25* cooler than where I sit right now. Be excited.

Regards...
  38. codyhaskell

You have probably counted me out, but just in case: I am not your sender. Best of luck!
  39. theo871

theo871 Savant (325) Maine Jan 22, 2004

I think I have an idea of who my sender is, but then again maybe I don't. The hints are too damn vague!
  40. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (470) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I think I have figured my sender out, but still somewhat confused. Not ready to announce who did it in the Study with the Lead Pipe.

BTW, my own ship date to a zip code whose digits add up to 16, is at least a week away, quite possibly more.