1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Let's Pour pricing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tcanaday, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Do these prices make anyone else sick? 11.50 for a Brother Thelo? Get a grip.

2. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (340) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

you got to pick and choose your battles with them. I feel some beers are way overpriced while most are only a buck or two off and when you get free shipping with six bottles kind of makes it worth the upcharge.

3. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

why does that make you sick? It includes the price of shipping. It's retail plus roughly 2.50$ for shipping on every single bottle.
    What really makes me sick is how much UPS charges to ship alcohol legally! That's what I'd be pissed about.

cyrushire likes this.
  4. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i feel lek the bombers are the onesthat are the best deal...the 12 oz bottles are a ripoff, but like surge said you gotta pick your bottles to purchase. seems like the 12 oz bottles, like white oak jai alai,hop crisis, chicory stout, were all very expensive, even with free shipping.

johnyb and surge1311 like this.
  5. raczkowski

get your own ups account and print labels from home..its much easier and you can save some on shipping doing it that way.

6. Mages64

Does Letspour let you do that?

7. surge1311

ya you are right about this, only 12oz I bought was deschutes conflux just to try but all the others were really high. I wanted to buy a doggie claws but it was $8.00. I did get cascade bottles for $25 which is about normal. I saw speedway and numbskull for around $14.50 and they go for 13-14 around here. So when shipping is free its seems to add up pretty fair to me. I have been very happy so far with my purchases

8. I think it's great that it allows access to some beers that one may be geographically isolated from, but you only get free shipping if you buy six beers, so you are paying about minimum 20 dollars over to get "free" shipping, they have a DFH 60 minute for 5 dollars on there, that would make a 30 dollar freakin six pack. Six packs are 10 dollars in their distribution areas. I guess it doesn't make me sick, it makes me mad that people pay this, when it's paid, it is charged. Just chaps my ass a bit.

PS- $38.99 for Bruery Fruet, such a deal..... $19.99 in California.

9. raczkowski

i must have misunderstood what the guy was talking about in terms of referring to UPS shipping letspour beers lol. my apologies.

10. skcusab

skcusab Disciple (50) Dec 28, 2012

Pricing and this industry are out of control, they have really gotten away from the core values this industry started out with back when all the "cool kids" weren't doing it.

11. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Where are you seeing Fruet for $19.99 in California? I'd buy the hell out of it for that price.

libbey, luwak, Gosox8787 and 5 others like this.
  12. surge1311

fruet was over $30 here in MASS, send me some for that price too

fujindemon74 and YogiBeer like this.
  13. Nugget in Davis on Mace. I bought 5 last week. Don't know if it was a crazy sale, but it happened.

vurt likes this.
  14. surge1311

nice score atleast you took advantage of it

15. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I think i paid $74 for 6 bombers. Was the best $74 i ever spent IMO. Got to try GD Hercules, ST Unearthly IPA, HUBs Valhalla, Elysian Red IPA, Rogue John John Dead Guy, & Rogue Old Crustation (is that what it's called? Doesn't matter, it was wack.) All except the last one were amazing and Hercules and Unearthly are now in my top 5 IPA, IIPA, DIPA.

16. surge1311

unearthly is good I got oak aged unearthly which is even better IMO. I agree though, its all personal preference, gives you the opportunity to try stuff not in your area and not having to give up beers in your cellar that you rather keep.

17. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Sry, the oak aged one is the one i had, that brew was glorious IMO.

18. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

my one experience with letspour was great and plan on ordering again very soon, maybe tomorrow

there are some great deals on there

19. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

I think the pricing is just fine if you're buying beers not available in your area. but you can't compare the prices to your local shop

luwak, denver10, JohnB87 and 2 others like this.
  20. I made a purchase last night because I wanted Rye on Rye. Got free shipping and had a $10 off coupon. I paid around $87 for the 6 following bottles:

2013 Boulevard Brewing "Rye on Rye"
    2012 Cascade Brewing Blueberry x2
    Boulevard Brewing "Long Strange Tripel"
    Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA
    Boulevard Brewing Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Those Cascade bottles were $23 each and are $21 from the brewery. I am not sure on the pricing of the others but that comes out to roughly $14/bottle. However, I wish I had waited till this morning and could have gotten Big Sky Brewing "Ivan the Terrible". That went quick.

luwak and Gosox8787 like this.
  21. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Their 12oz bottles are crazy, but the bombers/750s I see are a few buck each more than you can get elsewhere to cover the "free" shipping. But really comparing their prices to your local stores is silly and when you factor in shipping prices at practically any other retail beer site online they are not far off at all.

Oh and Fruet was $30 pretty much everywhere, I wouldn't use a crazy sale somewhere as an example in your argument.

BrettHead, Cee-Poe and luwak like this.
  22. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

Got me an Ivan this AM, right place at the right time I guess. $74.00 for 6 bottles is pretty good in my book.

23. Yea I emailed them to add the Ivan to my order haha. I haven't heard back and of course it's already sold out.

24. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

Must have had 6 cases. It says 72 and sold out..

25. A single 12 oz. bottle of SN Tumbler is more than $4. Enough said.

tcanaday likes this.
  26. I think if you had read the whole thread you would see this point has been discussed. 12oz=overpriced and bombers/750's=good deal. It all depends on factoring in free shipping and what is available locally. I imagine Tumbler isnt a big seller as it's distribution is wide.

ALSO, wouldnt you pay $4 for a pint of Tumbler at any given local pub?

27. much easier than trading at about the same $

Mages64 and Finatic like this.
  28. I did read the whole thread and I still think the website is a rip off. The Tumbler example being the most obvious example, I cited that one. Not only is $4+ for a 12 oz. of Tumbler is a massive rip off but the extra buck or two on the bombers, while not as outrageous as the Tumbler example, is still too much in my opinion. Yes, there is free shipping, but you have to buy six bottles. Some, like me for example, may not want 6 bottles.

Also, to the point of Tumbler in a bar....first of all, a pint is 4 more oz. than a 12 oz bottle, but that aside, it's apples and oranges. Bar prices reflect that someone is serving it to you (bringing it to you, washing the glass before and after) and the atmosphere you are in, which could be an added value.

Just my $0.02.

TrillAzun likes this.
  29. I think the prices are fair, anyone who has actually shipped UPS understands the costs. Unless they have the buying power of Amazon for cheap shipping they are spending a good amount on it. I ship UPS with a pretty large discount and it still equals a little over a buck a bottle for shipping a 12-boxer. Fewer bottles normally equals higher per bottle costs for me so I see 2 bucks a bottle shipping as normally pretty fair as that is what most people would pay and is probably less than what other online stores would charge.

30. ISO $20 Fruet.

It's on shelves up here in the Bay Area for double that price. $35 is the lowest I've seen

31. Exactly, I calculate the price it costs us to ship that bottle and thats what is added to the retail price on our site, we find that it's a better strategy then getting priced gouged on checkout for shipping. Right now we get amazing ups rates and pass on the savings to the consumers to try to keep the price as affordable as possible, as well as having quantity discounts and coupon codes.

The fact of it is that shipping isn't cheap and the cost doesn't change all that much between a 12oz bottle and a bomber/750 so that is why the 12oz seem to be a little higher priced then the other sizes. Cheers!

32. LOL at you thinking I dont know how many ounces are in a pint. My point was simply that $4 for a draft/bottle of any given craft beer in a bar is reasonable. I'm not here to discuss what goes into serving it or washing the darn dishes. The point of the website is to buy 6+ bottles. Therefore, you get free shipping and beers not distributed locally

If someone uses LetsPour to purchase a single bottle of ANYTHING, then they are not getting their money's worth, obviously. Its not your local craft beer store where you stop by on your way home from work and walk out with a bottle or two (or 20). I imagine it's designed to allow people to selectively purchase 6+ bottles of beer, not available to them locally, at a reasonable price (taking into account free shipping and distribution limitations).

It is a supplement to your already extablished beer buying habits and preferred outlets. I order once every few months when I see 6 or more bottles I'm excited about, I don't stock my fridge from the site.

vurt, Hanzo and RyanBilling like this.
  33. You like letspour and think it's a good deal, that's fine. I have no issue with that. I don't think it's a good deal, we have differing opinions. Is that ok?

beerepiphany likes this.
  34. Use
    https://www.halftimebeverage.com/

Not only are they more fair with the prices but give you free shipping on a case of beer over 100 dollars

35. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Their prices cost me nothing, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Cee-Poe and tcanaday like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

A slight hijack of this thread:

I bought a case of 16oz cans of Yuengling Traditional Lager from an online store. The beer was ~$49 and shipping was $19.95 thru UPS(for 30lb package?) Was I overcharged for the beer?

37. Mages64

I spent 700$ for 12 750ml bottles from Belgium. I'd do it again tomorrow:) a good deal is in the mind of the beholder!!:-D

38. Man I paid 8 bucks for my Woody Jack. 10-12 is as high as I seen it here in PA and that's the Jacked up price.
    14 dollars you sir got ripped off!

TrillAzun likes this.
  39. That's the average per bottle, not the actual cost... wookey jack is $9

40. TrillAzun

TrillAzun Aspirant (25) Washington Mar 19, 2013

Let's Pour doesn't do anything that most breweries or other online stores do better and cheaper. When most people want a beer they don't want to buy 6 of it to get free shipping, they only drive their sales up by saying that shipping is free when it's already reflected in the cost of their bottles. Trying to be sneaky but really it's foolish. There are better ways as I and other people who actually know how beer works have mentioned. If anyone wants the best deal on shipping of a specific beer, contacting the brewery and asking if it does shipping is always a better deal than working with a third party retailer who only adds margin to what the brewery sells it for.

HenryD likes this.