1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Let's Pour pricing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tcanaday, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I've not had any problems with Lets Pour's prices or services. I've ordered several times. And I like knowing what's available but those guys drop email bombs 4+ times a day. Seriously guys?! Why not show 6-8 beers per email instead of only 2?..

SteelCity75 and looseteeth like this.
  2. Stop complaining and find a good trading partner.

3. The prices would make me sick, or not, I can't have an opinion because they don't ship to me. WAAAHHH

4. here here. why does it cost so much to ship beer compared to other goods through legal means?

5. Government fees and licensing, state taxes, alcohol taxes, excise taxes. Write your state and federal legislators. It does no good to bash a company like UPS. Theyre just passing along the taxes and fees they must pay to their customers.

6. Yeah definitely should do that. I fucking hate how that I can order surly shipped but it comes to over $5 a can if you factor in shipping. It's like they are intentionally trying to make it hard to do

7. I highly doubt RR pulled out of Washington because of Let's Pour.

8. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I liked letspour when they gave out the discount sales but havent bought anything since.

9. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

No affiliation here. I've made several purchases and any issue has been resolved.
    Clearly its not in anyone's best interest to buy 1 bottle hence what seems like extreme shipping charges versus buying 6 bottles. Its more cost effective to ship more.

Trill, you sound like you have a former affiliation with LetsPour and are trying to damage their rep, not educate. Perhaps an ex-employee who kept denting my cans before shipping them to me. ;)

10. BigBadBarrel

BigBadBarrel Zealot (75) Michigan Mar 5, 2013

This for sure, What really got me was the New Belgium La Folie for $18.50 a bottle. Jeez!

11. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Then don't buy from them.

Also, saving the hassle of having to drive/get out to a bottle shop can be very valuable and worth it for some people. I'm not one of those people, but I'm sure they think it's great to have the option. And don't forget that you are paying for the packaging labor & materials, as well.

12. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Why do I never get emails from let's pour with deals even though I'm pretty sure I have that option clicked?

13. Spam filter maybe? I've had a bunch of non spam flagged by gmail lately.

14. Dude, you;re better off not getting e-mails from them. Holy shit, they will flood your inbox

robwestcott likes this.
  15. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Nah never in the spam folder I don't know it's weird.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It's $15 on the shelf here, so you're looking at $3.50 a bottle for shipping....doesn't seem too crazy.

17. I grabbed mine for 16, so yeah. I agree

18. FINALLY ! i have been waiting to find a thread about how beer works. is there a link to the full explanation ?

riemster likes this.
  19. I'll throw in my $.02. I've made a couple orders and find the prices on the bombers quite reasonable. The 12 oz beers are expensive certainly, and if you buy something you can get down the street (like Tumbler for example) you're obviously going to get a bum deal. But the bombers are usually at most a couple dollars more than what I see in NYC for comparable beers, so factoring in that it's something I can't actually get here and the convenience of it coming to my door, I find it appealing as a supplementary option. As someone said above, I certainly wouldn't stock my fridge this way, but every now and then to grab 6 bombers I want to try and that I can't get locally? I'm willing to pay the extra few bucks.

20. Can we address the time limit and signing for the package issues haha

21. Hanzo

Since they are shipping legally there is no way around the 21+ signing rule, otherwise a ten year old could order beers.

22. Oh, I'm aware, but it's still a pain in the ass when UPS delivers at about 1pm during the week.

23. Hanzo

That does suck, I just get mine sent to a family members house that I know is always home....just be sure to make sure they don't like beer before you set that up.

24. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm not too familiar with LetsPour because I live in MA and we can't order beer online. However, after glancing at their prices it really isn't that bad. Yes, paying 5-6 dollars for a 12oz bottle/can is a bit much, but I would totally throw one in a larger order to be able to try something I can't buy locally. And the bomber prices seem very reasonable. Just looking at some beers I can buy locally, their prices are only 1-2 dollars more than I'm paying here in Boston. I think you all should be happy that you're allowed to supplement your local beers with things you can order online. It's a luxury and you should pay a little extra for it.

And as far as trading goes, don't forget that you're gonna pay 20-30 dollars in shipping alone. So you're trading for $30 worth of beer but it's costing you $50-60

25. I only get emailed once a day from Letspour, and I like it because it reminds me to go on to the site and to the Spin The Wheel thing to try and win some free cash.

Hanzo likes this.
  26. I'm more upset at LetsPour never letting me win the $100 or $500 wheel spin than I am at their beer pricing. Things rigged I tell ya! ;)

Bitterbill, HipsterBrewfus and Hanzo like this.
  27. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I am constantly surprised by how many people don't seem to understand the idea that convenience is something that consumers are, and ought to be, charged more money for. Prices are too high for this beer to show up on your doorstep that otherwise you would have had to fly across the country to buy? REALLY??

It might not be worth it to you to pay a premium price for such a service, but to say that a couple bucks more per bottle for this convenience is a ripoff is simply not a fair characterization.

28. BigBadBarrel

BigBadBarrel Zealot (75) Michigan Mar 5, 2013

We picked them up for $11.99, guess it just depends on what region your from.

29. That was the price at cost in the market in Ft Collins when it was released it seems.
    Wilburs advertised it at 17.99. It's brewed in the same damn town.

30. I periodically check letspour hoping that it won't continue to be a rip off. I checked again today. I saw Two Hearted, which I love, but can't get in RI. Price was $5.75 per bottle. Some may say, "yeah, but if you buy six or more it's worth it because it ships for free." Six bottles of Two-Hearted from them would cost $34.50. So you're telling me a sixer of Two Hearted for $34.50 is worth it? I don't know what that stuff goes for in other parts of the country, but I can't imagine it coming anywhere close to even half of that price.

31. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

As others have said, you're an idiot if you're buying cheap 12oz shelf beers for $5-6 a piece, but you can definitely get a good deal on letspour. If you can find 6 22oz/750ml bottles you want and can combine that with a $10 coupon (which isn't tough to get), you can get a pretty solid deal. They only seem to add $2-3 for the bombers and the $10 coupon can cut most of that surcharge. They're a business and shipping beer (especially legally) is not cheap. They aren't just going to give you beers at the local shelf prices and not make any money.

32. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

That's a poor example. Two-Hearted is easily worth $6 a bottle to be delivered to your door in a place where it is otherwise unavailable. Now, you may have comparable beers which are locally available that obviate the need to pay so much for it, but is it worth it? Absolutely. It's a really good beer.

How much would it cost you to travel to somewhere that sells Two-Hearted to buy a sixer? Is the gas and a few hours of your time really not worth $25?

33. I suppose you're right, I am comparing it to the sixer of Flower Power I can get locally. I still can't imagine ever shelling out $6 per bottle for any beer, not just two-hearted.

34. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

Thanks! I've not read most of these posts but I take it, for some reason, people are complaining about prices. (Not really any of my business. My thinking has always been if you don't like a price....don't buy! Pretty simple).

Anyway, I'd never heard of Lets Pour before 15 minutes ago! Thanks! I just ordered 2 cases of beer to try!

vacax likes this.
  35. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

1) People will ALWAYS complain about price, no matter what the price is. That's just the way it is. Even if beers were half what we pay now, someone would bitch. Our society has coddled us for so long that everyone expects everything to fall in their lap.

2) Comparing a price online to a beer you can buy down the street is completely damn stupid. Of course the online price is higher, they have to pay shipping. Plus, *gasp*, the place would like to turn a profit. If you can get it easily, cool, there's no need to shit on a thread because you're lucky enough to live in Russian River's backyard. Most of us don't have that option. I can buy beers available to me all day at good prices, doesn't do the guy in Oklahoma any good though, does it?

3) Shipping isn't cheap. When I sold used auto parts I fought with people daily. Everyone assumes that shipping is cheap, easy, and hassle free. Shipping a fender across the country does not cost $10, no matter how you look at it. Same goes for a 40lb box of beer. State to State, sure, it's not bad, but most people are buying from one Coast and receiving it on the other Coast. The cost of boxes, packing materials, tape, drive time, and the gouging from UPS or Fed Ex all add up fast. Even in trading, you pay a good bit to move product around. This is the same thing, but in a professional setting. It WILL cost more. Simple. Assuming shipping is cheap is like assuming money is free. It's a pointless, idiotic argument. Businesses, both LetsPour and UPS, are businesses for a reason. They offer a service, FOR A PROFIT.

4) What the product is worth differs for everyone. The one guy who found one bottle on sale in his hometown means nothing to the guy who can't get that beer in his home State, so that can't be used as a comparison. Is it worth it to YOU? That's the simplest question to ask, and for those who say it is, the pricing structure is fine. I've bought from them three times, was happy with the service, the speed of the order, and the product I got. Was I upset I paid a little more than I could have, had I lived somewhere that sells those beers on the shelf? Sure, but that's the drawbacks with not living someplace where every beer is readily available. No one has that luxury.

5) There's always going to be a beer that NO ONE wants to trade or give up. Having it available for purchase, even in limited quantities, is well worth the extra cost for some people. Trying to trade or establish yourself in the trading community isn't always easy, nor is it always worth the effort. Being able to immediately buy the beer and forego any hassle of exchanging messages for a month only to find out the trader lost interest is worth way more than what you end up paying. I'll buy online any day of the week just for that assurance.

riemster likes this.