Letter from FedEx legal department...

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by AlexFields, Jan 19, 2013.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (645) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009 Verified

Last week I had a "damaged" shipment with FedEx that was returned to me and labeled as improper shipment of alcohol. Today I got a letter in the mail from FedEx Ground legal department stating that they believe I recently shipped alcohol, listing several ways in which I failed to comply with laws or FedEx policies (i.e. didn't use "contains alcohol" label or adult signature requirement, shipped beer or hard spirits, shipped to residence). The end of the letter states "You must contact your account executive and/or send a letter to the FedEx Ground Legal Department detailing the steps you are taking to correct any problems with your alcohol shipping. We will note your cooperation and will work with you to ensure that your shipments continue to be handled safely and legally."

Has anyone else received something like this? Do I need to respond to it, and if I don't am I risking any real consequences if I get "caught" again? Does this mean my account will be flagged and I should switch to UPS or something?

When I mentioned the problems with my shipment everyone basically said it's not a big deal and just to let it blow over but the letter has me worried. I mean I know they aren't going to do anything to me over this incident and this is just a warning, but I don't know what this means in terms of future shipments. Been using FedEx for trades for three years, dozens of boxes, this is the first problem I've had.

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I got the same letter after I had a bottle break in shipment and the entire box returned to me for shipping alcohol. Since I got the letter I have shipped at least 5 boxes of beer w/ Fed Ex and not had any problems.

Don't sweat it.

Also, when I got the letter, I showed it to me wife. She's an attorney. She just laughed and told me not to worry.

seplo, cfh64, GottaTickemAll and 4 others like this.
  3. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Advocate (645) Louisiana Jan 4, 2013 Verified

my first trade through fedex was damaged in transit, they sent me a letter detailing the damage, and stated they had repackaged everything and that it would still arrive on time, i haven't had any other issues so far

4. Use UPS for a couple shippings and go back if you are more fond of FedEX. No worries.

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Use the power of Google and find 1... yes 1, aka 1, also known as 1, or 1, person, ever, in the history of mankind - who was prosecuted and/or fined for shipping beer.

Find any yet?

Nope.

Don't worry about it.

6. Sounds like you got invited to a voluntary counselling session. To me, it doesn't seem pressing. I would learn from this and continue. Pack every box like it could result in the same letter, or worse. Skimping on packaging to save on time or cost is ridiculous. FedEx isn't going to go easy on your boxes and neither should you! Package every box as if you know that the next word you hear about it will be of your trading partner and you'll be golden. Viva La trading shit!

7. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

I got the same letter. I shipped with UPS for a few shipments and eventually switched back to Fedex and haven't had any problems since. The boxes before could probably be dropped out of a truck going 45mph. Now the boxes I pack can be dropped out of a low flying plane and everything should get there without damage.

8. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Savant (310) Wisconsin Apr 27, 2009 Verified

Sounds like something to cover their butts so they don't get in trouble with the law. They can point to the letter they sent you as proof that they did everything reasonably within their power to not allow people to ship alcohol illegally.

9. jklinck

jklinck Savant (255) Washington Jul 23, 2007

Bingo. Fedex has no law enforcement authority. They're just trying to cover their asses in case someone who DOES have law enforcement authority comes snooping around. They could maybe sue you, but they wouldn't because it would cost them money. And being a business their priority is making money, not wasting it on frivolous BS.

Auror and jrnyc like this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

FedEx and UPS are the biggest marijuana distributors in the country. If they really wanted to stop these shipments it would be easy enough. Alcohol too. They want to make it look like they are against it with their "legal department advisories', but if they really stopped it their profits would go way, make that WAYYYYYYYY down.

11. nc41

nc41 Champion (770) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

I had a box broken in Minneapolis, a box full of BCBS, listed as damaged and discarded. I didn't get a note, a call, or a letter, I just followed the tracking number. I suspect it was hijacked more so than totally damaged and destroyed. I bubble wrap everything to death and it had about a dozen bottles in it, maybe one broke and leaked, they opened it up and there's the unbroken BCBS sitting there. Just my opinion. If it went to legal they would have contacted me in some way, since they didn't...

12. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Saw it, made this face: [​IMG]

Tossed it.

Continued shipping beer, no problems so far.