1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lexington, KY / KY Beers and Distribution

Discussion in 'US - South' started by jimmyr78, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I'm heading to Lexington, KY in a couple weeks and was curious about some beers that are brewed/distributed there that I would not be able to find readily here in St. Louis, MO.

Any good bottle shops, beer bars to recommend?

Thanks!
  2. ltjska04

ltjska04 Savant (365) Kentucky Jun 1, 2005

Beer Trappe for bottles, Country Boy and West Sixth breweries.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

West Sixth IPA. It's so good I made it my avatar.
  4. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Just got a message from the owner at The Beer Trappe - excited about visiting!

Will definitely hit up Country Boy and see if I have time for any others. We will be a group of 8 of us headed to the KY-MU basketball game on Feb 23rd. All are craft beer/whiskey fans.
  5. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Bring some 4 Hands, Six Row, 2nd Shift, and Perennial!

In bottle, you can find Dogfish Head, Full Sail, Finch's, Smuttynose, West Sixth, BBC, All Tech, New Albanian, Three Floyds, Sixpoint, among others. Wine and Cheese in St Louis has an awesome import selection, but you might find a few Shelton Brothers beers here like Jester King and Prairie Artisan that are not there.

In addition to our local Country Boy and West Sixth, check local tap lists for Against the Grain (Louisville) offerings. They are draft only.
  6. The Beer Trappe is definitely one of the premier spots for good finds and great environment, a must visit.

Glenn Creek Brewery is right nextdoor and they do have a great selection, but I'm not going to lie, they're incredibly overpriced.

Lexington Beerworks is a fun place, too, with a good selection and a retail license, and they get some good kegs.

Pazzo's has awesome pizza and tons of beer, plus you can take beer away. Marikka's Bier Stubbe probably has the BIGGEST beer selection, but they opt for quantity over quality it seems sometimes. They retail beer, too.

West Sixth and Country Boy are the two breweries that were already mentioned, I won't be redundant, but they are great to visit.

Some smaller but cool beer bars to check out are Chase Taproom and Arcadium, sometimes you can find some gems there. And The Village Idiot is a nicer gastropub with a strong emphasis on beer, really good food.

Liquor Barn is our marquis liquor store and they have a wide selection of beer, there are a few scattered all around town.
    BEERchitect and KYGunner like this.
  7. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Try seekabrew for a detailed list. Also add in smuttynose, we just got them.
  8. As I recent visitor, I can vouch as an outsider for some of the above recommendations; particularly, Country Boy, The Village Idiot, and Liquor Barn.

I will be visiting again in April, so thanks to all for the additional tips. Anyone know if GCB offers flights?
  9. GCB is currently a train wreck. Their brewery plans have all but evaporated and they're still 30% more expensive than The Beer Trappe, which is right next door. I haven't been there in forever and few of the local beer nerds go there at all, I'd just stick to the other venues if I were you.
    chinchill likes this.
  10. very helpful. thanks.
    I do plan to get to the Beer Trappe this time. ... and West Sixth. Will try to re-visit Country Boy too; I really liked thier beers last year.
    TheBeerAlmanac likes this.