1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

lexington locals...

Discussion in 'US - South' started by visualmartyr, Jan 24, 2013.

1. visualmartyr

visualmartyr Savant (370) Indiana Oct 22, 2012

i have some good friends coming in from lexington next weekend that i havent seen in years..as a gift the want to bring me some local beers but neither of them drink...what in the state of kentucky should i not miss out on? alltech, country boy, against the grain?? help me out guys...when i was in the state it was known more for bourbon(and probably still is)..thanks
  2. Also West 6th IPA cans. We just got Bell's Hopslam, BA BORIS the Crusher, BA Old Rasputin, Bell's Smitten Golden, and a few others in around town.
  3. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Where do you live and from where in Kentucky? That will determine a lot.
  4. Most Kentucky breweries aren't packaging yet, with the exception of Alltech, BBC and West Sixth (IPA). Alltech (KY Ale) is more or less macro style beer in craft clothing, but anything BBA is at least worth trying and they BBA everything they have. Never been impressed with BBC, West 6th IPA is good but nothing extravagant. I can't speak for ATG (they're in Louisville) but if your not afraid of growlers, Country Boy has a good Jalapeno Porter along with a few others. West Sixth almost always has something awesome and special in their taproom, even their other IPA's are better than the canned version. It kind of makes me resent the fact that their next can is going to be an amber because their imperial stout is a.maze.ing.

Is Cumberland Porter being packaged?
  5. drfabulous

Oops. I see the friend's from Lexington. In addition to West Sixth and Country Boy growlers (Cliff Jumper, Lazy Rye, or better yet, the two coffee stouts right now at Country Boy....the barley wine at West Sixth are all my recs for a growler fill), there is an ATG growler fill at Whole Foods right now, and Lexington Beerworks has two ATG beers on now (I don't know how much a growler fill is though...but all the beers right now at Beerworks are from Kentucky and all might be available for growler fills...there is also Lore and Apocalypse on at Beerworks). Trappe had ATG on the other day as well and I think you can do a fill there of it. If bourbon, get a bottle of Angel's Envy.
    visualmartyr likes this.
  6. What's at Whole Foods right now
  7. drfabulous

McFannybaw. It's been on for awhile. 32 ounce and 64 ounce fills.
  8. visualmartyr

i live in noblesville indiana
  9. drfabulous

We also get Dogfish Head and Green Flash, which you don't.
    visualmartyr likes this.
  10. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I'd suggest they go down to the Beer Trappe and talk to a guy named Kevin. Then they should buy everything he tells them to!
    visualmartyr, AllanC and BEERchitect like this.
  11. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Really? I'm not denying it is an interesting creation, but this and the Parker's cognac finished bourbons are almost a travesty. Why not a bottle of Elmer T Lee? Angels Envy is to bourbon as Smirnoff is to vodka.

Anyway, the only local thing I can think of that's easy to get is West 6th IPA. But it's mediocre at best.
  12. drfabulous

It's all about taste. We like Angel's and West Sixth IPA, which I wouldn't call mediocre at all.
    AllanC likes this.
  13. In the state of Kentucky, the best/most accessible IPA is West 6th. When it came out this summer, it was a huge hit because it was pretty damn good and it was also in cans which was a novelty at the time for craft beer. I can see where it could become mediocre because it's now everywhere in the market, but I don't think the taste has changed at all. That would be at the top of my list for a beer in Lexington to grab.

Although, I tend to agree with you on the Angels Envy. Everyone has their own palate, but for the price, it isn't worth it in my opinion. It is good for storing red chili peppers in though after you finished the bottle.
    AllanC likes this.
  14. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Savant (310) Kentucky Jan 10, 2010

VisualMartyr - From the looks of your hads and wants list, you look to be a fan of stouts and ipa's. Based on that, I would concur on DrFab's recommendation of picking up a couple of growlers at Country Boy. I'm over in Western KY, but everytime I have a friend head over to Lex for a ballgame, meeting, or whatever; I ask them to pick me up something from Country Boy. The Cliff Jumper IPA is a favorite and I'm hearing great things about the Guatemalan Coffee Stout they just tapped last Friday.

Also, Country Boy is easy to get in and out of and your friends won't be overwhelmed by the number of choices.

Regardless of what you end up getting, I think you will be very pleased with the quality of brews coming out of Lexington.

Cheers!
    visualmartyr likes this.
  15. visualmartyr

thanks guys...i have some good ideas now!
  16. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

West sixth is not mediocre. Its not excellent, but its good