1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lift Bridge (maker of Farm Girl) sues Lucette over Farmer’s Daughter Ale

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jera1350, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

2. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I had half-jokingly noted this would happen when Lucette first came on the scene. Lucette better change the name to 'Farmers female offspring'
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  3. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I'm curious why they are suing now, it's not like Lucette just came out with this. It's been in stores for close to a year and on tap even before that.

Maybe they could go with Farmer's Step Daughter or something?
  4. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Lucette Agrarian Parent's Female Offspring.

Really rolls off the tongue.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  5. they should do a red ale and call it "Red Headed Stepchild"
    Philly82785 and tewaris like this.
  6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Lucette seems to be bullying through their distributor here. If it is true that Lift Bridge has attempted to handle this without the lawyers, then I understand. My gut reaction (deleted post) was based on my hatred for bullying tactics through lawyers (ala Northboud/Northgate), but it does not seem like that is what LB is doing here.

Read the article before you react...damnit.

And, of course we really don't know what has happened to this point.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  7. incutrav

I'm sure they'll say they are 'protecting their brand', blah, blah. This would not end well for Lucette if they have to change the name, as im sure they have a metric ton of cans sitting that are already paid for.
  8. incutrav

I never saw the link until now to the MPLS journal article.

"Lift Bridge also said Lucette is encouraging Twin Cities bars to replace Farm Girl with Farmer's Daughter, and pointed to signs in Twin Cities bars announcing the debut of Lucette's "Farm Girl Spiced Blonde Ale."

Wouldnt it be JJ taylor doing the 'encouraging' as they are their distributor?
  9. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Lame.

Lucette should counter that there are more "Farmer's Daughters" in Wisconsin that "Farm Girls" in Minnesota. Although we don't know the full story, I find this kind of b.s. maneuvering really annoying. And it makes me wonder if Lift Bridge is losing sales to Farmer's Daughter based on merit, & that's really what's behind this kind of nonsense.
  10. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

You may see these as un-filled cans, but the can collectors will see these as "Valuable Collector's Items." I can see it now: "ISO: 'Farmer's Daughter' Blanks -- FT: 'Billy Beer' Leakers" :D
    Ish1 likes this.
  11. mnstorm99

I would assume so. Who distributes Lift Bridge?
  12. JJ Taylor distributes Lucette and Capital distributes Lift Bridge, however only in the last few months, Lift Bridge self distributed for 5 years.

I agree with Lift Bridge. They both didn't come onto the scene within months of each other (Northbound/Northgate), Lucette clearly had heard of or recognized and were cognizant of what they were doing.

I posted this on the FB thread:

Lucette is doing themselves a disservice. Lift Bridge is a brewery that's been around for 5 years with Farm Girl being their flagship and a reputation that is bar none. Why even put the thought of a comparison into peoples heads. Have the wherewithal to be mindful of how you name your beer. Breweries are a business and a brand, have the smarts to take care with your branding and your beer. Case in point, that promo poster, even the distributor is confused.

I
  13. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Whoops! Edit:Original Gravity for the State of Minnesota "Twin Cities"
  14. mnstorm99

Thanks for the reply.

Lift Bridge was self distributing when they were brewing in Stevens Point? Wouldn't they have to go through a distributor based on Minnesota law?
  15. Yes, they were self distributing and nope, you don't have to go through a distributor if you contract brew. As far as I know, it becomes law when you hit so many barrels/year.
  16. mnstorm99

I guess my question is over the fact that it was being produced in Wisconsin.
  17. Because they were bringing beer over state lines? Maybe they had to have a special license for that but no, you don't have to go through a distributor regardless.
  18. mnstorm99

Cool, thanks.
  19. incutrav

Seems more of the blame should be on the distributor for making the signs, then Lucette. Its not rocket science to decipher the names 'Farm Girl' and 'Farmers Daughter' when on the shelves, two totally different labels, and packaging types. Tap handles are not similar either.

I know one of the JJ graphic designers who does the posters. Its VERY possible they were confused.
  20. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

If a beer can't survive on its own merits, it deserves to be discontinued.
  21. incutrav

Wonder if Lucette ran into trouble with their Pale Ale 'Easy Rider' as well? Its coming to cans soon, but rebranded to 'Ride Again' pale ale.
  22. I wanted to chime in on some questions raised. The reason for the timing is we have been trying to have discussions with the owners for many months. We wanted to address the concerns without attorney involvement and the courts. The response has been aggressive and deceptive tactics. In 2008 we launched Farm Girl Saison and sales have never been higher. We are working on big expansion to help meet demand. We have have an obligation to our customers and partners to protect our brand that we have worked hard to build. This was the last thing we wanted to do, but we feel we were forced to take the action. I welcome any questions you have and will answer what i can.

Dan Schwarz
    Co-founder and ceo
  23. I am under the impression Farm Girl has been distributed in Wisconsin and Minnesota long before Lucette was even around.
  24. That is correct. We have been distributing in Wisconsin since 2009.
  25. Now only if you would distribute your limited releases to Rochester...mmm Irish Coffe Stout
  26. do either the farm girl or the farmers daughter have a MN TAN?
  27. LOL. Good one.
  28. First, isn't Farm Girl a Saison? Second, if they indeed are marketing the beer as Lucette Farm Girl Spiced Blond Ale, then there is a problem and have grounds to force a change, if it is Farmer's Daughter, then I don't see the argument.

Ultimately, simillar to the Northbound/gate (isn't it amazing that it is actually Northgate without dubbing it "North-gate") debacle, I would argue that because the name contains the word Farm and then refers to a female, whether a daughter or a girl, they are not close enough to force a name change. The bar staff and consumer should be able to differentiate the two, despite having relatively similar names. Soooo many breweries have similar styles that are referred to as the style, I don't see why this should be a problem.

I will continue to buy Liftbridge despite this silliness. I just like hop dish and barrel-aged Silhouette too much!
    arniepnminne, LiftBridge and GeezLynn like this.
  29. You should be getting Irish Coffee Stout and all new releases going forward.
  30. Hell Yes!!!
  31. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

My dad had the "pleasure" to serve the notice to Lucette, sounds like they were decent enough to offer him some samples
  32. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Maybe they should just make better beer and not worry about taking legal action. Good beer can stand on its own regardless of copycat attempts. Just my two cents.
    XmnwildX12 and arniepnminne like this.
  33. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

He shoulda drain poured it ;)
  34. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

I'm thinkin' of opening a brewery in CA and putting out a Racer 6 IPA. Sound good?
    minnesotaryan and Hopsiam14 like this.
  35. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I don't mean to be crass about this and I certainly don't wish any ill will upon the Liftbrige team. If someone ripped off my beer I'd be upset too.
    Ish1 likes this.
  36. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (765) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

How exactly does someone rip off a bad saison by brewing a good blonde?
    arniepnminne likes this.
  37. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

A bad saison? As in you don't personally care for it, or do you feel it's technically flawed?
  38. KarlHungus

Both. It is also apparent from its 3.52 rating here that BAs who have reviewed it also think it is mediocre.
    arniepnminne likes this.
  39. incutrav

Whether you like it or not, its LB biggest seller by far. Big in the macro crossover groups it seems
  40. KarlHungus

That may be, but that doesn't mean its not a bad example of the saison style.