1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Light ales?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chimaylvr, Jan 29, 2013.

1. My 82 yr old father who doesn't care for domestic lagers much and who is currently on a low carb diet recently asked me about "light ales" or low carb ales. I had to admit I couldn't think of any but I thought of session ales and I googled the nutional info for GI Honkers Ale. I found that it had 16 or so grams of carbs but the Mild Winter and Nut Brown had 0, yes, zero. Can that be right and does anyone know of other beers like this?

2. Something written saying a beer has 0 grams of carbohydrates is simply wrong. All beer is going to have some residual sugar in it, especially in a style like Nut Brown. For low carb ales, styles like Gueuze, Berliner Weisse, Irish Dry Stout would be something to look into. Orval also gets super dry as it ages. For (lack of a better term) 'regular' craft beer (4.5-6% ABV), you're looking at somewhere between 10-18 g sugar per 12 oz. Look for beers with a final gravity under 1.010 for 'low-carb' in craft.

LeRose likes this.
  3. Doesn't Mikkeller/To ├śl Walk On Water have zero residual sugars & lowest possible final gravity.
    Also 14 % ABV, odd beer. Does this fit?

4. I double checked the site i saw this info on: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/goose-island. I stand corrected on the nut brown but the mild winter has zero, but Bourbon County, with 475 calories, has only 8 grams of carbs for a 12oz serving. Who knew?

5. That may be what it says, but it's wrong. Just looking at it simply from a math perspective the numbers don't work. Mild Winter is 5.6% ABV, so 133 calories of the 168 would come from alcohol. Fat listed 0g, Protein 0g, Carbs 0g are listed. Where did the other calories come from then? It's the sugar; I assume that someone just forgot to add the numbers to the site.

The Bourbon County's a bit of a laugher, again the math doesn't work out from the stats given. Assuming 475 cal like it says and assuming fat and protein are negligible, the carb calculation works out to 29.5g/12oz, quite the increase from the listed 8g/12oz. Bourbon County Stout does not have less residual sugar per serving than Guinness' 10g, I'll tell you that.

6. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Cant vouch for the accuracy of this article, but it outlines the steps needed to get even to low carb, never mind zero. I have a hard time believing zero. Short version, the link points out that ALL of the starch in the mash would have to be converted to fermentable sugars. Like I said - not saying this is right or wrong.

http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=24

OP - did you find the information on a site like MyFitnessPal or a similar site? I looked there and there are tons of "zero carbohydrate" results, but I suspect that the analysis wasn't done - meaning the results shouldn't be posted PERIOD, so I am calling bullshit on that.

I just asked our labeling authority here, and according to the Code of Federal Regulations 21 (I can get the page number if I have to) you have to be less than 1 gram of carbs in a serving to be low carb, and less than 0.5 grams per serving to label as zero in foods and beverages. I agree - in a 12 oz serving o' beer that has to be damn near impossible. As far as we know, there are no nutritional labels required on beer - and that might be a "yet".

Those calculations by Halcyondays look pretty straight to me!