1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Light Beer: You Don't Have to Like It, but Respect It

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Nov 2, 2012.

1. I refuse to respect a mass produced "beer" (if you want to call it that) that cares so little about its quality, and yet still refers to itself as "king of beers." But I do understand that there are decent light beers out there. Narragansette is one.

2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

If there's one thing brewing my own beer has taught me it's that even if I don't like 'lite" beers, they truly are remarkable from a production standpoint. Possibly the hardest possible beer to brew IMO. Good article and worth the read.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

seplo likes this.
  4. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Actually, they care quite a bit about their quality. The only thing they might care more about however is advertising.

5thOhio likes this.
  5. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (425) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

not much of a light beer drinker but I like Amstel light.

KYGunner likes this.
  6. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Great article, and while to do respect the quality assurance they have, they need for so many brew-masters that the macro's take away from the craft brewing industry upsets me. I have to believe that one or two of the brew-masters they hire would have been able to create a brewery as great as Stone or FFF, if it were not for a job offer at In-Bev

7. Yea from a production standpoint I have a ton of respect for what big brewers at companies like AB do. I mean to make at what is it like 10 different breweries across the US (with different water supplies) and ingredients that vary from year to year and make it taste the same every time, without things like massive hop profiles to hid things that are different, would have to be super difficult.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  8. Did you read the article? The point of the article was that it takes an incredible amount of quality to produce mass-produced lagers. They are much more difficult to produce than throwing some water, yeast and malted barley in a carboy in your closet for a few days.

beertunes likes this.
  9. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

seplo likes this.
  10. Who cares?
    It takes a lot more skill, planning, and dedication to have a McDonalds (BMC) cheeseburger taste the same across the globe. But I'd much rather go to my local joint (Ladyface), or fire up my backyard grill (homebrew), or even go to the awesome regional burger chain In-n-Out (Sierra Nevada).

Something being "hard to do" doesn't mean it gets automatic respect from me.

11. JfehrTSR

JfehrTSR Initiate (20) Nov 2, 2012

There is no doubt in my mind that the feats they accomplish are amazing. The brewmasters there are some of the most talented around. However, the problem is that the top priority of AB/Miller/Coors is to create a beer culture that just settles for something that's easy drinking. That would be like all of the soda drinkers just settling for club soda..

12. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I'm going to maintain that respecting the brewing process of brewing macro lagers is entirely different than respecting everything else that is associated with them. I dislike pretty much everything these beers stand for. Massive and always changing marketing campaigns, gimmicks, the continual charge to buy up the competition and become larger and market dominant, people insisting that their brand is different and superior to all others (despite most AALs being quite similar), the idea that it is okay to drink mass quantities of light beer because it is "light", the big brewers continually striving to create even lighter beers with less and less calories and more resemblane to water than beer, and these beers frankly just not tasting good. /rant

13. I completely respect the technical proficiency with which macro light lagers are made. The consistency is astounding, really. But the end product still isn't very good.

divineaudio, psuKinger, Ford and 3 others like this.
  14. Does anyone believe that nonsense? Gee, let's see, I can go through a lot of extra steps in the brewing process to reduce flavor, calories and ABV, or I can just add......... WATER!
    Which do you think they really do?

15. How do you define quality?

16. IMHO quality is inversely proportional to quantity.

17. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

While I can appreciate a well painted house I don't think it compares to a Van Gough, yet both are paintings.

benbking and hardy008 like this.
  18. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Industrial manufacturing != Craftsmanship, regardless of whether the manufacturing is of high quality or not.

19. rlcoffey

And yet, the lower quality beers from my closet taste better.

So which is really of higher quality in the end?

20. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I refuse to respect any brewer that doesnt care about people, and only care about the bottom line. after reading that article about the CEO of inbev, man... he has destroyed so many lives.

21. rlcoffey

I think "Quality Assurance" is a misnomer. Is should be called "Consistency Assurance" instead.

They are both positive concepts, but they are not the same thing.

vlodko62, kemoarps, einhorn and 2 others like this.
  22. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

This article convinced me to switch back to BMC. Bud Select 30 pack for $17.99 here I come!!

bozodogbreath likes this.
  23. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

That's narrow minded... I think hipsters like you are becoming mass produced.

Azzy, kojevergas and mintjellie like this.
  24. So you're thinking the local nanobrewery that just opened down the road for you has better quality than Sierra Nevada?

Well, according to that logic, I guess any "craft" brewery other than Sam Adams (apparently the lowest quality craft brewer) would have better quality beer than Sierra Nevada.

franklinn likes this.
  25. True this.

26. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Wonderbread is remarkably consistent from loaf to loaf.

tobelerone and vlodko62 like this.
  27. This thread/comments make me mad, everyone is arguing over semantics and definitions.

Its extremely difficult/complicated/impressive to do what Budweiser and MillerCoors do because of the large production scale. What they produce is not a particularly interesting, complex, or relatively good beer. I think everyone can all agree on that.

What coca-cola does is far more impressive, considering they have different factories all over the world in different climates while making product that no-one has been able to re-create. Their formula is not patented, its just a trade secret, nobody has totally "cloned" it yet.

28. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

hate to tell you, but coke tastes different from country to country...

29. So on one hand, BA's bitch about how disgusting BMC light beers are, and they also bitch about how disgusting Rogue VooDoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is. One is a macro, the other is a craft brew. I guess what I'm saying is bitch all you want about BMC (I don't drink it btw), but there's just as many "respected" craft brewers that put out unliked brews also, but yet they deserve respect under the "craft" name?

plaid75 likes this.
  30. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

My theory is if it tastes good, then I will buy it. I hate Budweiser, but I will buy several different Goose Islands because of the taste. I do understand the whole AB-InBev hatred though and I can respect peoples decision on not buying their stuff. To me it's the same as buying from McDonalds, Sony, Walmart, Coca-Cola and Ford. That's just my opinion though

kemoarps likes this.
  31. If I have learned anything from watching 4.5 seasons of Breaking Bad, it is that I would much rather buy my meth from a top quality, mass producer like Walter White rather than some small time crank shop like Jessie "Captain Cook".

32. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

I don't drink it but I don't hate on it either. To each their own and thats ok with me.

33. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Stupid article, stupid thesis. Really, the Atlantic, Really?

34. Anyone who has ever brewed beer for themselves [not to mention used their own home grown ingredients] should already know that the issue with mass produced "light" beer doesn't have anything to do with "quality".
    Those who really have no clue will continue to confuse strong tasting, high gravity beer as being "higher quality" than the much weaker mass produced beer.
    After spending the better part of last year self indulging in homebrewed ales and of course "store bought" craft beer I bought my 1st sixer [of 2012] of Miller High Life a couple days ago and it sure does taste fantastic for a change..!
    So good, that I can't believe how good it tastes to me right now.
    I understand folks who genuinely HATE the taste of industrialswill..just don't confuse it with inferior taste or quality.
    I completely HATE the taste of ANY beer with Belgian yeast..but I can certainly respect it's heritage and also respect the tastes of those who love it.

BigCheese and kingofhop like this.
  35. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Yes, Mexican coke is way better. We are still talking about the drink right...(I keed, I keed)

Cheers!

Coldsnack likes this.
  36. I think it would really interesting if BMC were to mass produce a beer like KBS and it tasted the exact same and the but was 10x more available. so many of you on here would automatically assume its not the same or your perceptions of its prestige would drop just because now more people can get it and you can't brag about the fact you have a rare beer. People need to ask themselves what is the main reason they like beer ? Taste has to be #1 before you consider the culture or vibe of the brewery, its uniqueness, or the quantity in which it is produced and distributed. With that said my biggest problems with BMC is how they monopolize the industry and try to crowd smaller threats with distribution channels, legal action, and trying to cut corners with respect to ingredients. I don't mind popping open a miller highlife after mowing the lawn in the summer. I prefer craft beer for the taste and what the industry stands for. It has been a long process for Bud/ inbev to reach this level of dominance people forget they too were a craft brewer. When I go to a bar I don't say why would you ever drink a bud light or put people down for their preference I just politely say its not my beer of choice and ask if they have tried any number of craft beer I enjoy drinking. its just obnoxious sometimes reading these threads and knowing taste appears to be less important then the perceived exclusivity of a beer.

BigCheese likes this.
  37. If you would like, I will post/link some photos of the beer aisles at 4 or 5 major supermarkets in this area to show you what sort of a "monopoly" Big Beer companies have on these shelves.
    No more than 50-60 % at any supermarket and perhaps 70% at gas stations, 7/11s and at RiteAid.
    This might be a regional thing, but in Western Washington, craft beer has a very large share of the shelf space and you can always find a sixer for anywhere from $6 to $8.

Brad007 likes this.
  38. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

The Atlantic recently seems to like the idea of making ridiculous claims just to get people outraged/arguing as a way to try to sell magazines. Look at the last few months: the whole "why women can't have it all" business vs. motherhood article, that Hannah Rosin "girls in college getting more promiscuous is good for girls and shows men are in decline" book advertisement disguised as article, etc. I wouldn't take anything they write too seriously these days.

39. There have been many studies on this, its a total placebo effect, in blind taste tests nobody really knew the difference. But when it comes out of a glass bottle and says made with real sugar its changes perception. A few studies arent the be all end all, but do a blind taste taste yourself, I bet you cant tell the difference.