1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Light Beer: You Don't Have to Like It, but Respect It

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Nov 2, 2012.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

link to the article, please!
  2. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

That is quite the statement!I'm very curious...
    When you say Belgian beer, are you referring to Belgian styles or just beer specifically brewed in Belgium?

Based on your answer, if you choose to do so, I will go from there with the appropriate question(s).
  3. drtth

drtth Member

4. frazbri

frazbri Member

Same reasons we try to turn our friends on to our favorite bands, music, books, etc... Shared interest, shared enjoyment, validation.
    hopsbreath likes this.
  5. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Member

Sierra Nevada does not mass produce 100's (maybe 1000's?) of 24 cases of piss cans every day. Having said that, they do produce a BUNCH of beer. This is not to say they are a bad beer, although not the best by any means (again, this is my opinion.) I do think they have done a much better job than Sam Adams regarding the quality of their beer as a "craft" brewery however.
  6. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Member

Well you must have been on some of Captain Cook's stuff when you posted this article. ;) lol jk
  7. JohannBock

JohannBock Member

But... does Rogue only produce VooDoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale? If that were the case then you have an argument. But if you look at their lineup you can find many many, quality, good, fantastic things that they produce. Just because you have one bad brew doesn't mean your entire body of work should be thrown out. Apples and Oranges.
  8. psuKinger

psuKinger Member

People are confusing the word "Quality" with the phrase "Quality Control".

AB's product is not "Quality", in that it is not a High Quality Product, in large part because it wasn't made using High Quality Ingredients.

AB's "Quality Control" department is first-class, though. The use of "lower quality ingredients" is not accidental. It's a conscientious decision. So while their final product is not as "quality" as competing products that began using superior raw ingredients, their ability to produce beer in such dizzying quantities, every single 12-ounce serving of which tastes 99.9999% like the last 12-ounce serving, is a true Marvel of modern technology/industrialization.
    Prospero and harrylee773 like this.
  9. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Member

Correct
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  10. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Member

You people do realize I'm talking about budmillcoors type beers right?
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

12. industrialswill

industrialswill Member

Most notably, any beer with the taste of banana, clove and or bubblegum is just plain disgusting.
    I proclaim it to be disgusting and anyone who disagrees is just a Simpleton who has been brainwashed by the subversive marketeering [this stuff is made by actual Holy Monks, no less] that makes this beer SEEM so desirable.
  13. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Then I take it you also don't care for German Weiss beers...which obviously are not Belgian.
  14. 13mikey

13mikey Member

Because quality is always defined as what each individual likes.

We're not talking about shoes or cars or houses or something with a tangible set of measurables.

Once we decide what "quality" means for beer, we can head over to musicadvocate.com and figure out which band has the highest quality of music and then to movieadvocate.com and pick out the best movies of all time.
  15. 13mikey

13mikey Member

Of course they're not the best in your opinion... because according to your definition, the best brewery would be one that produced one bottle of beer a year.
  16. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

You can also talk about hitting the analytical targets for the beer (there are many), passing the sensory panel scores, and passing the microbiological test. These are tangible metrics.

Many craft breweries have quality problems. Explain all of the "is XYZ infected?" threads please.
  17. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Member

Light Beer = Shitty Swill
    Lighter Beer(54,Mich Dry...etc)= Really Shitty Swill
  18. epk

epk Member

Not to single you out, but just to play devils advocate - 90% of beer drinkers would say otherwise (that's probably already been said, but I'm not reading any further in this thread, I already know how it continues).
  19. 13mikey

13mikey Member

Very true. But that's just another point in Budweiser's favor.
  20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

I am no fan of ABInbev for many reasons, but they do make a product with an absence of defects (one definition of quality). When they acquired Rolling Rock, they said they would have to learn to brew a beer with a defect (DMS).

Craft beer is something I have been drinking for a long time. It is not always defect free. Flat bottles, exploding bottles, underattenuated beer, infected beer, diacetyl, DMS, vegital, stale, oxidized, and other off flavors are things I have run across over the years. When it is defect free it is wonderful stuff.
  21. Light - beer Should be mutually exclusive. At least in my fridge.
  22. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

I respect that it's easily converted to water for hurricane victims.
  23. SHODriver

SHODriver Member

I'm sorry but your opinion is wrong. there is some shit beer out there made by craft brewers and I'm not just talking about beers of a style I'm not a fan of.

that may be the case with cane sugar coke but I can assure you that you can taste a difference between regular mountain dew and throwback.
  24. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Member

This thread title, to me, is like New England Patriots fans telling me I have to respect their team because of what they've done the past decade. No, I don't. Sure, they've been highly successful, but between spygate, an offense that even freaking Rich Gannon ran to a Super Bowl appearance once, and the absolute craptacular opposition they faced in their actual SB wins, I don't feel I have to respect anything but their coach who is probably 90% responsible for their overrated success. I feel this is pretty apt to big brewery light beer. I don't have to respect the beer - it tastes like crap - I don't have to respect the marketing - it's just standard, corporate "bomb the populace at every corner" high dollar schemes - but there's some guys in the process that really know their stuff to make the product they do to its exact degrees with the absolute most dismal of ingredients to work with so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
  25. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Member

While I don't care for light beer myself, I respect the fact that that style is an extremely popular. Which means, most people will settle for mediocrity...Excuse me, while I weep.
  26. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Member

Because of local water supplies more than anything.
  27. crusian

crusian Member

and ingredients, but yeah, only everything that makes something what it is. thats all.
  28. JKAllen

JKAllen Member

I respect that some people "like" light beer, but I really don't like much that any of the big guys make. There's a few things here and there, but largely no. I respect the ability to be consistent with extremely large batches, but honestly....when I drink light beer.... It's almost a "why bother" scenario.
  29. Light Beer: You Don't Have to Like It, but Respect It

Nope. You respect it. I will show disdain for it. Hence..we have balance.
  30. Ford

Ford Member

I respectfully refrain from ever drinking it.. ever.