1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Light beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sind310, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sind310

sind310 Aficionado (175) California Nov 15, 2011

My father has started battling cancer. Yay dad!( I say YAY since he refused for a while) His physician gave him clearance to have a glass of beer during chemotherapy treatment. Apparently it will stimulate his appetite and will help him relax. Since my dad and I bond over beer, this is one of the upsides. We are both porter, stout and barley wine lovers. What beers do you recommend that are light (under 7% abv)?
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Deschutes Black Butte great beer and delicious. Prayers out to you and your father. Cheers
  3. sind310

I meant 4%, 5 would be the max.
  4. Look for some milk stouts such as Left Hand as they are usually below 5%.
    Sludgeman likes this.
  5. For a Porter lover, I'd try Anchor Porter. It's very flavorful and only 5.60% ABV. I know that's a little bit over the percentage you want, but it's a fantastic brew that hopefully wouldn't be too hard on your dad.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28/61
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  6. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

Anchor Steam. And best of luck in the treatments.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I would go with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, comes in a 5% abv and is delicious, cheap and widely available.
    benart, 05Harley, albertq17 and 6 others like this.
  8. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Stone's Levitation should be easily available and he may enjoy it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/6301

Wish your father good luck with the treatments.
    sind310, drabmuh and Mgm54 like this.
  9. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

While asking the crowd on a site like this might help, finding stuff under 4% will still be a challenge. So I would suggest a bit of additional detective work.

There are a few styles of beer that are typically supposed to be in the neighborhood of about 4% or less. What the Brits call a session beer. (Most folks on this site think a session beer is anything they are willing to drink more than two of in a row, so obviously they mean something different than do the Brits.)

If you look at the styles lists you'll find several listed as English styles. One style where you might find a tasty beer under 4% is the English Dark Mild

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/75

This list is ordered by the number of reviews which should be sort of close to its distribution/availability. You can also get the list ordered by ratings from top to bottom. If you print that out and go to a beer store with a wide variety of beers, say 1000 or more, you may be able to find something from the list for him to try. Also if there is a beer person at the store who knows what s/he is doing they may be able to help you narrow the search down more quickly.
    sind310 and TongoRad like this.
  10. Picking up where drtth left off, Yards Brawler is a damn fine dark mild- and much more flavorful than its 4.2% would suggest, and there is bound to be some crossover appeal to porter drinkers:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/450/46504
    Hopefully it's available by you.

Here's wishing your father success, and that he makes a speedy recovery.
    benart, Mohican88 and fuzzylogic like this.
  11. radagascar

radagascar Disciple (50) Illinois Jul 14, 2011

X2 on the Left Hand milk stout. The people I run with who enjoy porters speak well of the Sierra Nevada porter, at 5.6% alcohol. Best wishes as he undergoes treatment.
  12. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

Would be hard to get, but Cantillon's offerings are low ABV
  13. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

It'll never make the world-class list by any means, but I think that Breckenridge oatmeal stout is a damn tasty brew to be only 4.9%
    You and your dad stay strong.
  14. sansho

sansho Savant (350) California Jul 16, 2011

Yazoo Dos Perros is a pretty good malty beer and I still don't get how it's only 3.5%.
  15. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

St. Bernardus wit, Hitachino Nest White ale, Bell Winter White, Bells Best Brown Goose Island mild. All I think in the low 5's, don't know of any brews under 5%.
    Here's to your dad's speedy recovery.
  16. Irish Dry Stouts, nothing wrong with a Beamish, Murphy's, or Guinness Draught, all in the low 4% range.

If you could go for light and hoppy, my favorite sub-5% beer is Firestone Walker Pale 31

Good luck to your father!
  17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

O'hara's Irish stout is 4.2 percent
  18. sind310

Thank you all for the suggestions and thoughts. BA community has been a lot more helpful, than I expected. You guys kick ass :)
  19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

This was going to be my suggestion as well! And pretty much anything from Yuengling usually has a lower ABV and for a "cheap" beer, their offerings are pretty decent.

I wish your father the best in his recovery!
  20. I'd like to add the Taddy Porter to Hanzo's suggestion.

I echo what others have said and also wish all the best for your dad.
  21. I think Stone Levitation would be my vote here. Your dad is a hero and a champion.
  22. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I think Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is damn good at 4%, not sure others will agree

Best of luck to your dad. My dad finished serious chemo/radiation 5 months ago, and while he still feels like shit, he scan last week showed no signs of cancer....and he was stage 3b.

Keep the faith
    sind310, audioserf and Ranbot like this.
  23. I fucking LOVE that beer. One of my favorites from New England, definitely my favorite from OC
  24. Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter is 5.40% and it is quite good.
  25. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Im gonna go the opposite direction since you are in Orange.
    Go to Total wine off the 57 and load up on Jester King La Petit Price table beer.
    2.9% for a 750ml. Give him 2 of them! Boom!!! Solution solved.

Cheers!

PS- Hope you dad kicks the shit outta cancer!
    sind310 likes this.
  26. Fuck cancer! Tell your dad to beat it down. Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout is what I would suggest.
    SammyJaxxxx, benart and audioserf like this.
  27. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

St. Ambrose Oatmeal Stout by McAuslan is fabulous at 5%abv, as is Samual Smith OS.
  28. Mean old Tom Maine beer company
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.