1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Limited release: better or worse? And, for whom?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dougfur, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I would take KBS over Dark Lord any day.

Behemoth, Gumballhead, Dreadnaught and the rest of their double IPAs are just as good as Dark Lord too, and they are easier to brew

It doesnt make sense for a brewery to make so much of a 15% beer either.

I also imagine its a sticky mess to make. Considering how sweet of a stout it is
  2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I'm not saying I don't like any of the stuff you mentioned but to me Dark Lord is in a league of its own and if you include the barrel aged versions is one of the greatest beers ever made and one I wish I could drink every day or at least once a week and when you'll take KBS over Dark Lord any day does that mean you'll trade me all your '13 Dark Lords for any '13 KBS I get?
  3. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Was going to quote a capacity post but multiple people have mentioned it so i'll just reiterate. Perfect example with Lagunitas last year not brewing Brown Shugga. They didn't prepare properly for the limited release of their imperial brown and would have had to cut production on multiple year-round brews to try and get it done. Brewing still has to be cost effective, and if Lagunitas hadn't acted accordingly, we all wouldn't have been graced with Sucks! So cheers to limited releases and operational efficiency.
  4. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Sure thing :)
  5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Or maybe it was all a gimmick to get Sucks a higher profile.
  6. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

A breweries core line up is what makes the money, pays the bills and allows breweries to brew special and limited release beers. More often than not the core line up is made up of beers they can turn over often and move the product effectively and efficiently.

Special releases are generally beers that a brewery cannot turn over with the same regularity. They often require additional raw material, time and storage. Once you start to add up the additional cost to brew these beers and compare it to what you are losing out on by taking away brewing time and space from the core line up you would realize why it is more beneficial to brew these beers less often.

I do not believe it is ever a good thing for a brewery to be able and meet the demand in a market. If you are going to meet the demand you are likely on the decline. As a consumer group, BAs get irrationally upset at breweries for not making enough beer when they either have to look to hard for it, pay too much or simply miss out. Just because it is brewed and released does not mean that it is necessary for everyone to consume and we need to accept that and shift our focus to the beers we can get. Trying to justify the need for seasonals to be brewed more often is another example of where the consumers focus is off. We have to realize that what is preferable to us is not always the most beneficial for the businesses.
    dougfur likes this.
  7. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Very true, the rumor is that they straight up just forgot to order the ingredients for shugga that year (being renowned stoners as their inspirational tool) and went: screw it, what can we brew with what we already have?
  8. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

They don't want to step on Southern Tier's toes.
  9. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

as far as cost goes I have an easy solution for breweries instead of selling any products at a loss charge enough that you make a profit.
  10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Increasing the price is often easier said than done. More thought needs to go into it than simple profit. Customer relations and opinions come into play more than anyone who makes this argument wants to admit. Even if a brewery would go this route they would have to sacrifice other opportunities to brews the beers in question more.

If the answer is simple it is often not the best answer.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

What about Occam's Razor? :p All kidding aside, I get the point you're making.