1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lion takeover of Little World Beverages

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by CrazyDavros, Jun 18, 2012.

1. CrazyDavros

CrazyDavros Savant (405) Australia Apr 18, 2008

So, just saw this on AHB. What's the verdict?

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/06/breaking-little-world-beverages-board-recommends-lion-offer/

Presumably Lion is pretty happy with the brands at the moment. I can't imagine they would make any drastic changes to say, LCPA. There's no point in reducing it to another pseudo-craft, barely interesting range, seeing as they already have Squires. Then again, who knows what Lion could do...

Will this include the dining halls and what-not? Will be interesting to see what happens to the current LC and White Rabbit breweries.

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Certainly not my favourite piece of news.

3. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

'We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.'

J. Robert Oppenheimer.

4. MordeciaFunk

Yes.

5. CrazyDavros

CrazyDavros Savant (405) Australia Apr 18, 2008

Apt.

After re-reading my OP an image came to mind of a Lion executive reading "I can't imagine they would make any drastic changes to say, LCPA" and saying out loud, "Is that a challenge!?!?"

In regards to dining halls I was more wondering what Lion will do with them. Surely there's a fair turn-over in those.

6. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

the king is dead?

7. Lukie

Rise of Feral!

8. LexP

LexP Zealot (85) Australia Jun 29, 2008

Well that surprised me

9. So who is the largest per volume 'craft brewer' now??

10. Lukie

FERAL!

WOOHOO

11. One benefit will be LCPA on tap in more places. Can't say I'm that surprised by it all though.

12. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

You almost dont want them to rise too much, or they'll be next. If only the humble brewpub was more profitable in this country.....

13. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

I'd guess at Mountain Goat, maybe Stone and Wood but they will be 20+% japanese owned as a result of the LC takeover so do they still count?

14. Good to see a glass half-full person.

Plenty of other good craft breweries in WA as well. Might lead to some LC regular drinkers/vendors trying a few more of the lesser known ones.

15. Lukie

>Plenty of other good craft breweries in WA as well.<

Apart from Hop Hog, I don't think there is anything else in WA better then LCPA.

16. Only a matter of time till they did complete the majority ownership...better get your hands on the LCPA in the next few months before the bean-counters plans to cut savings and costs in the brewing process take effect...

17. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

very sad to hear. maybe (hopefully) it will be like the AB-inbev takeover of goose island where there is no change in quality and they are able to expand and do more one off's/experimentation with different styles. the barrel aging program at goose island is massive now and they are going to take bourbon county stout to a year round release. some good things can happen in situations like this.

MrKennedy likes this.
  18. MordeciaFunk

After much consideration, 2 days of toing and froing and a 6er of Dundee IPA here are my 2 cents.

Firstly my disclaimers: 1. I have no love for Lion. This is not to say I dislike them etc, but with my company's previous history etc, I was 'brought up' to view them as the enemy, which although is clearly not the case, the residual elements of that brainwashing remain. 2. Lit. Creat. are just down the road from where I work. Although we co-operate (the sharing of postmix, letting each know of 'undesirables), help each other out at any opportunity (they help with the beer knowledge training of my staff, we actively promote the f__k out of any new beer they do), have formed personal relationships with the people that work there and generally care about the craft and bar scene near us, they are my business rivals.

Most of me (eternal optimist) looks forward to this. I don't believe Lion would do anything to affect what Creatures do internally. I do believe that with the added injection of capital Lit. Creat. can go on to expand and have freedom of movement. With the brewery in Geelong coming along at a steady pace, the logistics network required to supply and also distribute from both sides of the continent can only be improved by being involved with a company with such reach. I do think that Lion executives are fully aware of the place Creatures hold in all craft beer lovers' hearts and would not wish to diiminish the good will we all feel towards and zealotry that we all advocate with, what is essentially, the Australian craft beer 'love child'. I also feel (wish) that Creatures can be set-up to be a 'flagship' for Australian craft in the wider world. With Kirin's contacts and established distribution network worldwide, I can't wait for the day that Creatures is available all over, firstly, the Pacific Rim and then to inner-America and then the world. If their beers can 'punch a hole' into the consciousness of the wider world and give Australian beer a foothold into these wider markets, then I can only say that this is a good thing. If one day Creatures PA is viewed as the quintessential Australian beer, as opposed to Fosters, then we can finally chalk up a victory to taste. I know many people, how after trying Sierra Nevada, for example (and I'm guessing a few of us), were more willing to give American beers a shot. We were willing to look at the country of origin, and because of the reputation of other craft breweries that came from there, take a punt. I would love one day to open these forums and chance upon a thread from the Americas, from Asia, from Europe where people are discussing the merits of our country's beers. Not in the patronising, mocking tones of the bland, mass produced lagers that we are famous for, but for the tasty and delicious beers we can and do make.

All of this is now possible with Kirin's involvement. Before it wasn't. Hopefully it can be.

Please don't think that I don't think anything bad can come from this. I am scared. I'm aware of what could happen. The cutting of costs, the lower quality of ingredients, the general sapping of love that large corporations can foster. Believe me, I will be one of the first complaining, manning the barricades, posting snarky comments on this and other mediums, heckling my Lion reps and generally bad mouthing the beer and any other product that Lion have a connection with. But, but, but. Do we really believe that the Creatures board would have signed off on this if they didn't believe it would help the company and beer scene in general. You have to remember they have been fighting the craft beer fight as long as we have.

I have hope this will be a good thing.

'When you have lost all hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope' Pittacus Lore

19. Lets be honest here, Lion perhaps want complete ownership of LC as JS Squire Golden Ale has wained and their presence in the beer market has dissipated to the point where Lion exec. think that the pale and may I add rightly so can take on fat yak's presence mostly in the more lucrative beer tap market.

20. sinkas

I ahve an awful feeling that once the east coast brewry is up and running nicely, the freo one willbe closed and turned into a dining hall only,
    have not heard much abotu the little creatures hotel that was supposed to be going into the freo location for a while
    i wonder if they will scrap the james squires brands?

21. Anyone drive an all Australian owed car here and watch Bathirst???

22. Lukie

I drive a 1953 FX Holden.

Does that count?

23. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

tbh I hadn't bought LCPA for ages anyway

How could I when I can get better beers from either America or the increasing number of local craft brewers stepping up

24. MordeciaFunk

I'm in your boat Mr Danieelol. I know what LCPA tastes like. I would prefer to branch out and try something new.

Case in point, the 6er of Dundee IPA I had last night whilst composing my rambling diatribe was nice. I don't think it was as good as LCPA, but I'm glad for the experience and would much rather have drunk that then another thing I have already had.

Speaking of, Lukie, if you get the chance, head to Mash for their IPA. It's f__king delicious. It hasn't made anything obsolete, but it is awesome.

25. Very interesting - nor had I until a couple of weeks ago when i purchased a case for mrs heygeebee. Was blown away by the fresh and balanced taste. Most surprised, as it had been so long between proverbial drinks.

26. sinkas

that dundee ipa is shite

deathevocation likes this.
  27. Dundee IPA is bloody terrible. Nowhere near LC's class let alone the other APA/IPA brands even available at DM.

sinkas likes this.
  28. sounds like a trip to mash is on order, the new beers from the new brewer far outshine previous offerings there in my opinion

29. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

First of the changes has occurred, all the Little Creatures sales reps are now unemployed.

30. MordeciaFunk

Really? I spoke to our guy yesterday and he still had a job. When did this happen?

31. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Heard it was last week

32. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

That sounds unfortunate

33. Lukie

Everyone except the brewers and the receptionist got the axe. They have until March next year.

34. There were little creatures reps ???

35. I just drafted a reply that was a little too verbose and subsequently deleted it.

Rewriting with some core points:

LWB has always been about making money. Credit is due for realising money can be made from making good beer. Subsequently the brewing process is still the same.

There are still two teams (Little Creatures and White Rabbit) of hardworking brewers working hard to make the best beer they can. I can't speak for Little Creatures since I don't work over there anymore, but we at White Rabbit are always working to make our beer better.

No wholesale introduction of Pride of Ringwood.

36. Lukie

I can certainly attest to the brewers working hard to make great beer. I have met many of them, and they are all fantastic people who are very passionate about what they are doing.