1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Liquor Barn open in Bowling Green, KY

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Nutwood, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

Here's what I posted to BA add-a-place just now:

Thirty-two taps focusing on limited and seasonal offerings for growlers, half-growlers and sampling of 2 and 6 ounces. Liquor Barn carries a vast selection of craft and import bottles and a wide selection of reasonably priced single bottles. Also of note, a section of local-centric pairing foods. (please note they have not yet added this location to their website, go figure. I tweeted to them about this.) Grand opeing was today. The beer manager is Tom, formerly of the famed Wino's depot. Here's an article from the local paper. I was at the opening today. It looks great to me. I would also recommend this for those travelling through as it's within an easy mile or two of Interstate 65.
  2. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Member

Man I'm looking forward to hitting it up. Anything interesting on tap, or something you haven't seen around town elsewhere?
  3. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

3F ZD, GBH, and AK; Schlafly Coffee Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate, New Holland (?) brown ale, New Holland Dragon's Blood, Avery IPA, Delirium, FBS, West 6th, Bells Best Bron, Bell's White Winter, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Bourbon Barrel Stout, and others. Pretty much everything on tap is interesting, although it was mostly ales and stouts and seasonals. No porter, no saison, maybe one or two pils. There was a red of some kind. I should have taken a pic of the list with my phone.

The shelves are pretty nice, 8 feet tall x 2 30' runs of American craft, same space for imports, plus a big wall of American and import singles that are priced nice, like SN Celebration for $1.49 etc.

I had samples of Schlafly Coffee Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate. 6 oz runs $1.50-2.00. They sell a 2 oz but with 6 oz so cheap, why? There's a limt of 3 6 oz per visit. They made a big point of telling me they did not want to give the impression they were running a bar.

They definitely had stuff on the shelves I have not seen at the other stores around town.
  4. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Member

Todd, the beer manager at Springhurst has been down there helping open it up. I look forward to stopping by on my way south sometime ;)
  5. kaips1

kaips1 Member

Man we all know you either work there are have interest in the company, quite hanging off the nut hair of a big box store that doesnt give a shit about any potential customers, just their wallets.
    erichall likes this.
  6. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Member

Seems a bit harsh there man. I mean even if he is affiliated, who gives a shit? From what he said there are some things there that aren't around town a lot of places. We've only got one beer place that is local to only here (that I can think of), greenwood wine and spirits. Shenanigans and winos are cool, and now chucks around here is owned by a company in Indiana. So until somewhere like the beer trappe shows up, we work with what we got. Box store yes, good availability and pricing in a town that doesn't have a ton of options, also yes.
    Nutwood likes this.
  7. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

No I don't work there. I work in an automotive assembly plant. I've done some time in the retail business and I just know a nice store when I see one. In a semi-back-water town that has been more or less culturally deprived for most of my lifetime, it’s my prerogative to feel a bit of enthusiasm when I see things looking up. Maybe I write like a bit like a J Peterman marketing tool sometimes, but I was just reporting what I observed. Excuse me if I choose put together a paragraph without baseless criticism, sentence fragments, bad punctuation, and puerile metaphors.

I don't know a lot about Liquor Barn, only what I saw in person and learned by talking to people there. They are based in Louisville and just have 14 stores in Kentucky, some large some small. They make a great effort to sell Kentucky-made product which is the opposite of big-box.

Just because a company makes a certain decision to provide scale, qulaty, value and variety in a well-designed, very clean and well-lit store that targets a discriminating consumer -- doesn't make them evil. Oh yeah, did I mention it's a killer location?

To me it looks like they are all-in, risking a lot of capital on faith that people will be drawn to that approach. They have put a lot of effort and emphasis on their faith that discriminating customers are out there, and I find that encouraging and even a little bit flattering.

Me, I really appreciate a nice presentation. Some people don't even notice it and could care less. The unwashed masses like booze too. So, LB is not out to get people's attention with quickie-mart loss leader 3-day weekend deals on 30 packs of BMC. They might do that, but it's not the core of their business.

I'm just as interested in a hole-in-the wall that does it right too. I think LB is here to compete and succeed, but like ish said, we work with what we got. I have a lot of loyalty to Chuck's and will never stop shopping there. In many ways they compare very favorably to LB and I have no doubt they will retain 99% of their business.
    callmeishmALE likes this.
  8. erichall

erichall Member

Liquor Barn is owned by a publicly traded canadian company. They are big box thru and thru. They do sell Kentucky made products but they are more shelf fillers and goodwill gestures than profit centers.

LB started as a kentucky company based in lexington but was sold a few years back.
  9. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

I stand corrected. The people in the store said they were based in Lexington now that I think about it. They never mentioned Canada eh.
  10. Brent

Brent Member

Wow. Showing some love for the hometown.

Liquor Barn - great selection, good prices.
    Wino's - very good selection, okay prices, they know your name when you walk in.
    Something to be said for both.

No sense in piling on LB because it is part of a conglomerate. Scale equals volume equals pricing. Smaller places will stay in business because of customer relationships. If not, the free market reigns.
    Nutwood and callmeishmALE like this.
  11. auroracrisis

auroracrisis Member

They are owned by the Canadian company but managed out of the Hamburg location in Lexington.
  12. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Member

Let me just say for the record that in the future when people openly attack others on this site without having proper facts, they need to be removed from this site. Period. This nevative vibe really has got to stop. The site is called Beer Advocate, not Beer bashing.
    BEERchitect likes this.
  13. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

Stopped in LB tonight, walked up to the taps, guy asks me if I'd like to join in on sampling 10 Christmas (and winter seasonal) beers for a dollar. Itty bitty samples of course, but pretty fun none the less.

Schlafly TIPA, Coffee Stout, Winter Solstice, and Christmas Ale
    Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
    Rogue Santa's Private Stock
    Gouden Carolus Noel
    Delirium Noel
    Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and Winter Ale

I ended up getting some of the Schlafly Christmas just because I have been wanting something sweet and spiced. The GC and Delirium were outstanding.
  14. drfabulous

drfabulous Member

Gouden Carolus is a beer I take for granted and don't drink as much as I should. I don't know if I've seen the Noel around here, but it is an outstanding X-mas beer.
  15. JimDH

JimDH Member

I drank a Noel at Beer Trappe (Lexington) last night. They're sold to go, too.
  16. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

The Gouden Carolus Noel stood out not just amongst the 10 samples, but also as a very interesting beer in any context. I definitley want to go back for a bottle of some kind.

I only had a small sample, a taste really, but it reminded me very specifically and pleasantly of my days of drinking Armagnac in the winter months. Now this is a perfect holiday / winter flavor if ever there was one.
  17. claaark13

claaark13 Member

Does anyone know what the current growler list is? I just hit an answering machine twice when calling.
  18. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

Lots of ales, christmas ales, and various stouts (coffee, chocolate) are usually featured. Some of the taps are sample only, I think some are howler only.