1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Liquor Store Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I'll start with mine.

I go into one of the various craft beer-friendly liquor stores in town and bring a bomber or 4-6pack of something to the counter and am asked by the cashier 'Are you aware of how much this costs?' followed by 'is it really that good?' This has happened to me four times now between the three good stores here in town.

Do they ask the wine customers purchasing $50 bottles of wine this?

That really grinds my gears. How about you?
    getinked and SBR like this.
  2. Yeah I have had that happen too...bought a few bottles of DFH 120's...they swore they were ringing up wrong! Held me up in line event though I told them it was right! Ha!
  3. I've defended Total Wine in some of the other threads about them, but one thing some of their employees do that really grinds my gears is force me to move out of the way while I'm browsing the singles section so they can slide around on some massive lift to get boxes from the top shelf. I expect that kind of behavior at Walmart but not a beer store.
  4. this never happens to me, although I have talked with some beer managers who let me know when styles i like hit the shelves, and i tell them the reason that I will not buy certain beers is because they are price at $8 for a 500ml bottle of an american IPA or $12 for a bomber of an IPA. there are some pretty obscenely priced beers on the shelves in my area
  5. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

my peeve is that PA liquor stores do not sell beer. at all. ever.
  6. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

I really wish more of them would start using (or more consistantly use) social media or email blasts to announce new releases. I have one store about 20 miles from me that does the email thing pretty consistently, which is great, but then I need to call all of the locals to see if anyone closer also got the new beer. Email and FB are prettty easy to keep an eye on, but having to call around a few times to track something down is a pain.
  7. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

It grinds my gears when the Pinnacle Cookie Dough vodka is kept in the back for the "regulars".
  8. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Walking in and finding way, way, way past expiration date beers on the shelf...
  9. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (860) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Having a list of beers on their website that isn't at all up to date. There's nothing more frustrating than making a drive to a new store only to discover that they don't have what they claim to. I shouldn't have to call ahead if you post a list online.
  10. They sell beer but they're not a "beer store". They are a large chain liquor store that carries beer. They are the Walmart of beverage stores. IMO.
  11. You nailed this one!
  12. Bernerdawg

Bernerdawg Aficionado (125) Georgia Jul 18, 2011

I was in Orlando recently and hit several stores looking for WW Stout since I can't buy it in Georgia. One place carried a lot of DFH but no WWS. So at the counter I asked if he carried it. He said yes, and looked up his inventory on the computer. "I have 10 bottles," he said.

Ecstatic I returned to the little designated DFH case and still couldn't find it. My wife is looking too and spots more DFH located randomly throughout the store. Even the cashier is now looking. Finally he walks over to me, shrugs, and goes back up front.

Pet peeve 1: stores that don't organize by style (or at least by brand)
    Pet peeve 2: stores that get your hopes up for nothing

They did have Hoptimum so not a complete waste of time
    Lantern likes this.
  13. The best was when I went to one store and asked if they had any 120 min from DFH. It was my first time at this place so i decided to take a shot in the dark and ask. He told I'm not familiar with that one beer which was fine but he said we used to carry Dogfish beers but 6 months ago they stopped distributing in MA, this was obviously news to me. So I went to the beer section and they had about 4 or 5 different DFH beers. I went to check out and while he was ringing up my 60 and 90 min Ipa he said Yeah really I'm sorry they don't distribute any more we sold out of stuff the 5 months ago.

To say the least I was really confused because I knew DFH still distributed in MA and the fact that rung up my beers at the register. It was mind boggling because he seemed really knowledgable about beers but for some reason he was confused and couldn't connect the beer he just sold me and had new seasonal inventory of was the brewery I asked about in the first place
  14. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Aficionado (240) Indiana Mar 16, 2012

I grabbed a bomber of artic panzer wolf. I walked up to the cash register and the clerk rang it up. He had a confused look on his face and rang it up again. After the 2nd time of ringing it up he apologizes and says sorry it keeps ringing up as a six pack. I finally ask the clerk how much is it? He says 12 bucks and I tell him that is the correct price. He follows by saying ya'll are crazy! (With some explicits thrown in) Needless to say the guy had no clue what was going on and insults my purchase. I guess that is what you get when you try to be an honest customer!
  15. I hate old out of date product. I don't shop at those stores, or at least I avoid the perishable beers when I do.
  16. re: prices- I don't think it's that big of a deal- I remember the first time I bought a $5 bomber of beer and I thought that I had bought a bottle of liquid gold.

Some people just don't think of anything other than $13 thirty-racks of beer.
    VonZipper likes this.
  17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. If you organize by style then the people who want something from a particular brewery have to wander all over the store looking for their various products. If you organize by brewery then the people who are looking for IPAs have to wander all over the store looking for their preferred style. We can't win.

FWIW, I suspect that most breweries would prefer that their beer be shelved together, simply because it's a lot easier for customers to recognize and hone in on a particular brand when there's several beers next to one another with cohesive branding.
  18. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

I called into 3 BevMo's which claimed they had a few bottles of the abyss. One even claimed to be willing to reserve 2 bottles for me.

2 of the Bevmo's never even had it in stock while the other gave away the bottles reserved for me. Wasted a lot of gas and time. I also came less than 30 minutes before they had told me they had it.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  19. Selling Cantillon to anyone besides me
    Mister_Joshy and wbumgarner like this.
  20. Hmm, when did they stop distributing Shelter Pale Ale to Mass (and other states), maybe he dealt with a lot of people looking for that and got confused, it could've been their biggest Dogfish seller

I want to say DFH stopped shipping Shelter outside their home state more than 6 months ago though

Or depending on location, maybe he's a RI resident working in Mass, and got confused because DFH did stop distributing to Rhode Island
  21. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

There are a few things that I cannot stand and will usually cause me to not buy from a store.

The first and worse is stores selling special releases on eBay. I have gone to stores, asked about a special release, they say they have it but then hint at the prices they can get on ebay for it instead. I have even had a store directly say "I have some, but do you know how much I can get on eBay for it, like $50 (this was Abyss a few years ago)", then he had the balls to ask how much I would be willing to pay for it. I said no where near that price and went ahead and put all the other beers I had in my hand back on the shelves and left empty handed.

Another thing are beers for sale from out of the area. I know of some store owners/beer managers who trade for beer and will sell it to friends at cost, I am fine with that. However, I also know of stores that trade/have beer sent that then mark the beer up insanely high. Who knows what the condition of the beer is in, these beers are usually outrageously marked up, and they will sit on shelves for a long time due to no one knowing about them and having a high price. Lastly and most importantly, these places are completely stupid in a business sense. These places are risking their liquor license off of selling a few extra beers. An example is a place near me that has Zombie Dust, for $10 a bottle...sitting on the shelves closest to the large windows with no refrigeration. Without bottle dates from FFF, who knows how old these bottles are.

Lastly, I cannot stand walking into a store and seeing all of the IPAs sitting on shelves and not in coolers. I will not buy hoppy beers from these places, as I know they either don't care or don't know how to treat certain beers. It also baffles me when I see this, but then see things like IRS, Quads, and BW in the cooler. I understand stores have limited cooler space, but when push comes to shove Stone IRS should not go in the cooler while Stone Ruination is on the shelf.
  22. Keeping beer "in the back" pisses me off and I'll never understand it. If you only have a limited supply, well, just have a bottle limit. The Whole Foods near me now has a chalk board listing what they have in the back. WHY? Just put it on the shelf so I don't have to wait 10 min for the beer person.
  23. I was in one of the ABC stores in Orlando and the same thing happened to me. I was on vacation and figured id score some Cigar City while I was down there. Went up to the cashier, asked and said he had some stuff in stock. I look at the shelf where he told me to go with no luck. He then comes over and cant find anything either. Needless to say I walked away without anything from Cigar City.
  24. Stores with bad reservation systems. If you are going to start a list for popular beers that come out in limited supply everyone who works there must know about. Too many times has my name been on a list and when I went to pick it up or see if it arrived it was either mistakenly put out on the floor for sale, multiple lists for the same beer were started or lost all together. The point of having your name down is to reward customer loyalty. At grocery stores like whole foods I agree with the legalbrew87 there should not be any beer in the back.

I was recently at a store that only kept limited supply beers in the back and did not even advertise them on a board. I feel this is the way to go because the owners would only offer the beer if you asked about it or if they knew you might be interested. This system rewards both loyal customers along with beer enthusiasts alike
    Beerandraiderfan and 2beerdogs like this.
  25. Bernerdawg

I visited an ABC not far from Full Sail and found the Jai Alai i was looking for on an end shelf about 2 inches from the floor. I assumed that beer would've been displayed more prominently

26. You have to wait 10 minutes because some people will grab as many bottles as possible, even with a limit, and then make a scene when they can't buy them all. Yell and scream like children. It's easier to just keep it in the back and bring out only the limit. Basically it comes down to too many people feeling entitled and not respecting that others want " THE beer" as well. Don't blame the stores, they are trying to be fair. Blame that guy that hoards "The beer" and will yell and scream to do it.
  27. IEatHobos

IEatHobos Aspirant (35) Oct 27, 2012

Mine's a simple one but drives me crazy! There is a store in town that boasts a stock of "15,000 Craft Beers" and wants to be considered the best place in town to get good beer. First, the selection is not that good... they have like 3 coolers of good beer, a wall of swill (bud, coors, etc) and the rest is warm and on shelves. When I brought this up, I was told that they can order 1,500 beers and anything I wanted they could get. I've ordered things 3 times and each time after a week, they told me they couldn't get it. The worst part is the staff don't know ANYTHING about beer! One dumb clerk girl may have actually said, "Oh, I'm not really a 'beer' person..." That's my pet peeve! Why would the beer store hire someone who is "not really a 'beer' person?" GO WORK AT STARBUCKS!
  28. Not to mention the ridiculous liquor tax that Allegheny County imposes.
    docrates and HeyJim like this.
  29. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

Big pet peeve for me is liquor stores that dont sell singles. I store i frequent has a great selection of 4-6 packs, bombers, and imports, but they wont sell singles. Really makes me upset when I find something I want to try, but aren't willing to fork out the money for a 6er
    Nutwood and 2beerdogs like this.
  30. Outdated(old) beers, and not enough world-class, most highly rated brews.
  31. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

The only thing that will keep me from shopping at a store is if they are not honest with me. If I am not as regular as someone else, just tell me. I'm a big boy, I'll be ok if you don't sell me your beer. But if you lie to me about it, you will never see me again.
    Beerandraiderfan and clubarsky91 like this.
  32. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I have a similar story about a un-named bar in West Haven CT that sometimes when i order a beer and they ask me which one that is and they only have 10 lines, and theyre give you the wrong pours, like a DFH 120 in a pint mason jar, now im not complaining about the pour but the owner is losing out on money and they dont know what theyre pouring. I guess thats what happens when you hire friends...CHEERS
    bigedct likes this.
  33. Place near me wouldn't let me use the restroom even though I frequently go there.

I was at a bar for a few brews with a buddy and then I was heading to a party. En route to the party I felt a strong urge to take a leak. Needing to grab a sixer I figured that I'd just use the restroom at the liquor store. While browsing the selection the urge to go was increasing with a great deal of intensity. I picked my beer. I waited in line. I purchased my beer and when the transaction was over I said, "do you guys have a bathroom I could use?" and the answer was a straight forward "No." It was delivered in a way and in a tone that I knew if I came back with the sarcastic, "oh so you guys don't ever go to the bathroom at work?" or "you guys just piss in empty kegs" type lines it would have gone nowehre.

It wasn't a biggie, because I pissed in the back of the building, which I think should be standard operating procedure if people are denied access to a bathroom inside a place that obviously has a bathroom. Nevertheless, it rubbed me the wrong way.
  34. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I hate it when the Russian girl who works the front register won't give me her number. She says real men drink vodka. I don't like vodka.
  35. Bernerdawg

I'm speaking as a consumer of course but as an owner the approach would simply be: which way moves more product?
  36. neeko530

neeko530 Zealot (85) Indiana Oct 17, 2012

haha ok you clean up drunks piss and puke nightly. i understand you are saying you frequent this store, but at my store we most certainly do not make our bathroom public. no one wants to clean up other peoples arrant piss. especially drunk peoples
  37. I visit about 6 stores thru out Greater Victoria , know 4 of the manager/buyer's , and are on the email list of all , (incase of any special order's or updates I require) what "grinds my geers" are #1 the price point of certain beers I like/love ($18 for a 6pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter-or-Obsidian Stout , great beer but steep price) and #2 the display's of Coor's Light , Bud , Corona that take up too much space , #3 out of date website's
  38. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

My total wine rant.... In the store tonight there were 5 brands of crappy pumpkin beer,stacked all over the place @$ 3.99 a sixer. Taking up valuable space that could be used for really much better products.
    Thirstygoat likes this.
  39. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I hate when a store has a nice sized room/area dedicated to beer, but it's brimming with all the common adjuncts and foofoo flavored maltcoolers.
    JKAllen, 2beerdogs and Thirstygoat like this.
  40. This happened to me with BD Tokyo*