1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Liquor Store Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. I can understand why they wouldnt wanna break up six packs cause then theyre stuck with five beers that may or may not sell before they expire. Its much more common that people buy the full six/four

2. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

in the toledo area, all of the good liquor stores that sell beer offer singles. Its really good for trying different kinds

3. Unknowledgable sales staff. I call to ask about Abyss, they should know what that is and who Deschutes is.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

On top of the cleaning issue, it can also be a liability. If it's not a "publicly available" bathroom and you let someone in to use it, and they slip on a wet floor and break their skull, you could be sued out of business.

5. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Stores that sell singles, but have most of this section taken up by IPAs, low ABV beers, and beers from very mediocre breweries. Once the IPAs and low ABV beers have passed the freshness window, they do not sell because of it and they sit there forever. The beers from the mediocre breweries simply don't sell because they are not worth buying a marked up single. So those sit also. This leaves a very small section for singles of seasonals/limited releases and more expensive/bigger beers that could stay good on the shelves.

Deltoro, Duff27 and mackeyse like this.
  6. I love APW, Steep price but you get what you pay for in my opinion.
    Same thing happened to be the other week when I went to go and buy some Bolt Cutter. Lady said "23$ for a beer? yall is crazy"

7. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

IPAs that have been sitting on warm shelves. Who knows how long they've been sitting there.. plus i was tought hoppy beers should be treated as food and kept cold. But i dont know if this is rational or if it's rational to have this expectation.. That's how i peeve doh

8. Recently saw some 2001 Gales Conquest Ale on the shelves...it was awful 3-4 years ago, methinks it hasn't improved...

9. My greatest pet peeve about liquor stores is that they're prohibited by law from selling beer in my state.

10. Completely agree! Ill take that one step further and say I have been to places like Total Wine where they will restock unsold seasonals from previous years.

11. LOL, looks like I need to expand listening to all these horror stories..Yikes! Sorry guys, that really sucks.

We never ask a customer if they know how much a beer costs
    We Always treat our beer customers with priority over any other customer in the store
    We make sure the customer understands the product they are purchasing and if they have any question regarding its brewing process, hops, malt etc
    Our employees are homebrewers and are advised of all new products and given histories of each one. They are also tasted on all new products and these tasting notes are discussed.
    We make sure the customers know what beers to expect weeks and sometimes months in advance and they are also asked if they would like to be on the list for any particular beer.

We have a huge single bottle section that contains all kinds of great beers. NO common ones (Corona, Dos Equis etc)

We offer all current 12oz seasonals on the single rack

Products are rotated and out of date beers are discounted if they are still viable.

We try to go above and beyond with knowledge, service and quality. Because I believe that is what a TRUE Beer store should do.

12. I hate when I walk into one and realize that society (and my wife) will look at me askance if I pick up beer rather than food on our limited budget...

13. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Unbelievable, I know

14. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I go to a giant eagle that has a great selection and they keep their rare/super limited releases in the back w/o advertisement. If they have a good amount or no one has asked, I get some. If its that big of a beer they save it for their die-hard customers which I definitely respect. Gives a person a reason to support them, and in turn they support you. That's what its about.

15. And this is why I shop at your store every time I am in town. I'm actually headed that way this weekend! Cheers!

gkatsoris and BierGartenok like this.
  16. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I have had a lot of the same things mentioned above!! Now I just ignore them all and brush it off to ignorance.

17. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Calling a store, asking for a specific beer, they say they have, u get there and they don't. Grrrr.....

18. It's been said, but any place that keeps IPAs, DIPAs, Saisons, and other refrigeration-required beers anywhere but the coolers. Seriously, if you carry the stuff you should know the proper storage temperature, and for almost any beer (even stouts, porters, and otherwise cellerable beers), that is not ~68 degrees, or whatever room temperature is the store.

19. Docrock

Docrock Savant (465) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Where is your store, cause I will come shop there!

BierGartenok likes this.
  20. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

:rolleyes:

21. rubicat

rubicat Aficionado (120) Ohio Nov 22, 2012

The closest bottle shop to me has their coolers filled with Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. , but the craft beers are in the corner under the heating duct where they sit at 80 degrees or more. Geesh, at least put the IPA's in the cooler. :rolleyes:

22. Almost all craft breweries want their items shelved together. I recently had 2 craft beer companies set my cooler doors. First by region, then by size, then by brewery i.e. all california craft 6 packs in one door then by brewery.

It's tough for a store to sell singles unless they keep them seperate.

That's just dumb lol. The cashier should be scolded.

23. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

The first time it happened was when I was buying 4 bottles of black butte 24 (12$/bottle I think) - I was so taken aback I just stood there looking at her like ಠ_ಠ

Then it happened again buying a 4-pack of Cuvee Des Jacobins for $19. I responded with "well shit, I better buy another at that price then!" and grabbed one more.

24. I hate bottle shops holding beers for ransom. I should be able to buy a beer without any auctions or purchasing beers I don't want just have opportunity to purchase a beer want or have to be in a so called beer club. Utterly Bull Shit.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  25. I know! I was in a place this summer that was trying to sell me a bottle of Odell Woodcut #3, bottled way back in 2009! And a clearly dated 2007 bottle of GI Matilda. Can you believe the nerve? Or how about the same stores selling bottles of The Dissident even though the label says I shouldn't drink them for a whole year?

26. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

Expired beer. That's the biggest one for me.

27. I'm not really picky. I realize people might work at a bottle shop because it was available work not because they are beer, wine, or liquor fanatics. Same goes for a bar. Sure, it's better business to have knowledgeable employees but if you're paying them $8/hr they will only care so much.

What does bother me, and it really goes for both bars and shops, is when there's a list of current releases that isn't current. It doesn't have to be updated to the minute but if you're serving something or putting out new releases, I don't want to see the list from two months ago. Just don't put one up and waste my time driving out to find out you don't have what I wanted. Wasting my time for your laziness is the easiest way to lose my business.

I'm also sort of annoyed by the hidden beers at shops. If you are going to limit/hide beers, just tell me what they are so I can ask for one. The Central Market by my house usually has something hidden away but it's always questionable whether the beer/wine attendant knows its there and will share. Sometimes it's like I have to sit and have a ten minute conversation before they will disclose what's in back. I don't mind talking beer (obviously) but sometimes I'm in a hurry. Just let me know what's there. I understand the policy of limiting access but I'd probably buy more beer if you'd let me know what the good stuff is.

I generally hate pushy salespeople so it also bugs me when I'm checking out the selection and somebody tries to force their shitty recommendations on me. I do not care that you think Shocktop Wheat IPA is "not bad" or only want to recommend the highest ABV beers in the shop.

28. My biggest pet peeve about buying beer in a liquor store is the fact that I run into more of my exes buying wine in liquor stores than I do at my local beer joint. And the fact that they're always more beautiful than the last time I saw them.

29. 3leven

3leven Aficionado (140) Jun 28, 2012

My biggest pet peeve is telling stupid customers we don't carry Bud, Miller, or Coors products, by law, and they go "SO ALL YOU HAVE ARE IMPORTS?!?"

My next is that guy buying Guinness or something German and says all American beers suck to look cool to his tag-along buddies. You thusly get told at our store.

We can't sell anything cold, so they turn around and walk out. Your funeral. That stuff that's cold is glorified water here. Not my fault.

Dude screaming at you from three aisles down "DO YOU HAVE DELIRUM?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS?!" Yes, douchebag, and just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I'm stupid. Then don't take the suggestion for other Belgians that are better than yours. You just heard the name somewhere, now you're throwing it around and acting cocky for your buddies. We carry every beer that we can get in OK. F*&# off.

I have more...

Both sides of the counter can suck big time.

jawzman, Brunite, TRFD803 and 4 others like this.
  30. The same goddamn thing happens at my TW. They also seem to be stocking the shelves every time I go in there, so I have to battle workers for aisle space.

31. WTF we gots tons of that shit on the shelfs! I prefer cherry lemonade though!

32. Man I need that to happen. I would be like "let me go back and get a few more bottles..."

33. "behavior"? i think what you're refering to is someone doing their job. i suggest you stop being such a hose job.

34. Silly me for thinking that the customer should take precedence on the retail floor during retail hours, rather than employees moving bulk stock around (something that can be done when the store is closed).

35. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

I read your entire post in Randy's voice, with emphasis, and laughed my ass off.

36. depechemode1983

depechemode1983 Savant (370) Texas Jul 19, 2006

I once found Blanche De Chambly 10 years past its best buy date at a local liquor store. Ridiculous.

37. What really bugs me about liquor stores is when the beer guy tries to prove his superior beer knowledge instead of answering my questions. Recently I went to a local store where the beer guy was trying to prove how over-rated Pliny was when I asked him if they had it in stock. Somewhere in the conversation he felt it was prudent to tell me he cellars 400 beers. A simple "yes" or "no" would have been appreciated.

omniscientcause, 3leven and Longstaff like this.
  38. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (300) Washington Aug 28, 2012

There is no way a store with 2500 types of beer can keep all of their IPA's refrigerated.

There is also no way that the employees can go through all of those beers to pick out the expired ones. Expired beer happens... Bring it to an employee and I'm sure it will be taken care of.

Edit: If we're in your way on the sales floor just ask us to move and we'll do so immediately. If we don't get into the overheads the beer you want to buy won't be on the shelf... The store does not have a night shift.

39. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

That kind of stuff leads me to actually change my mind and leave the store. If they want to insult me for my purchase, they don't need my money. Nothing like a simple "You know what? Never mind." after they've gotten through most of the transaction and now have to go through the hassle of voiding it.

40. rubicat

rubicat Aficionado (120) Ohio Nov 22, 2012

I suppose not. I've never seen a store that had anywhere near 2500 types of beer. How could you ever manage such an inventory?