1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Liquor Store Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Only one. Old, out of date beer. WAY too much of it.
    cnbrown313, Horbar and kotayk like this.
  2. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (400) Maine Jan 23, 2010

When price is not clearly marked. I once went to a store for bottle share after looking around and not seeing basically any price I decided to leave. On my way out was asked if I needed help I mentioned the lack of listed prices, there response was for me to ask. I responded saying I was looking to buy 10 to 20 bottles of beer and I wasnt going to ask what the pride of everything was.

3. I agree. I often get irritated answers when asking how much a beer is. If it goes on the shelf put a tag out. I have no problem asking but I also like to buy more than a six pack at a time. Shopping in Jersey most things are priced. WF markets not so much.

The one thing I do like at WF is the tags give you a per oz. price as well. Guess because its a grocery store. Check out the price difference btwn 6ers and bombers of the same beer. Crazy.

Enjoy
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  4. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

How would you enforce a bottle limit if the beer is on the shelf?
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

It just shows a simplistic approach to grouping their beers into price categories. However, I think it shows a certain lack of concern toward their service, knowledge, and concern for showing they know about thier product and care about what they do. I prefer not to frequent such establishments. They tend to: a) not take care of theeir taps, b) not know their pale ales from their porters, c) have outdated product, d) other issues.
  6. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Likely at checkout......assuming the checkout clerks are informed enough to enforce it.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Kids, and parents who take crude, loud-mouth kids liqour shopping.
    I was in a nice store last night. There was a mom and dad with 2 girls that looked like middle school age. The younger one was carrrying on about wanting some vodka. The other one, maybe 12 or 13, was dropping loud f-bombs in reference to how f'in good aunt Tina's sangria is. I guess that's what you get when you put a fancy new liquor store 500 feet from a Walmart.
    randylangford likes this.
  8. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

and stores who play "beer god" - deciding who they will sell beer to.
    zach60614 likes this.
  9. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Yup, this happened to me with Sierra Nevada... When you email them a question you get a reply stating that they will get back to you in no more than three days... It took a month and several emails to get my reply!!!
  10. One of the local bottleshops started forcing you to buy a six pack or bomber in order to be able to buy a beer that they didn't get much of. Examples: Forced to buy a 4 pack of Goose Island Beers in order to get one bottle of BCBCS ($23 just for the bottle) and in order to get Bruery's Five Golden Rings you had to buy another bomber of one of their beers. Overpriced beer plus forcing you to spend another $10-$15 on top is a great way to lose regular customers.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  11. dhespelt

dhespelt Disciple (60) Dec 12, 2012

I stopped going to the un-named bar in West Haven because of them serving beers in the pint mason jars. Totaly ruins a good beer!
    seplo likes this.
  12. I hate when stores put out their one case of limited one-per-customer beer at 10 in the morning. Always gone when normal people get out of work.
  13. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

You should have said, "If you say so; I'll just grab 5 more. Be right back."
    Ryan2BSU likes this.
  14. My biggest liquor store pet peeve is when the price is either missing, or mislabeled. Nothing quite like telling the cashier the price that was rung up is not the price that was advertised on the shelf.

Not just liquor stores though, this has happened at the BevMo up the street on a handful of occasions as well.
  15. I frequent my local bottle shop every month or so (i got the homebrew bug about a year ago and haven't been buying as many bottles as i used to) and asked the beer buyer If he got any Westy bricks as they were not on the distribution list. I was asking just out of curiosity, but he responds with "for regular customers like you, no, we don't have any left." A simple no would have been nice, not sure if I will be back.....
  16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yea. Screw those oddball, hard working night shifters.
    ggfunk, Vav and jesskidden like this.
  17. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

I don't care what the brewer's association says.

No, honestly, I do not.

I don't drink IPA, DIPA, or IIPA as a rule. If you order the beer by brand it means that I have to walk all over the shop to buy the Belgians, or porters, or (imperial)stouts or barleywines I want to buy.

Put it this way: your grocery store does not order their store by who makes the product. Produce is in one place, meat is in another, bread elsewhere, etc. Why does the BA ass-u-me that just because I like Old Rasputin that I will also like North Coast's IPA? That is an asinine and consumer unfriendly position to take.

Hop City FTW. They order by style. And by doing that, I can go in, browse the dark, and pick up stuff I would have never known was there if they sorted by brewery.
  18. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

That's why there are those stock management systems where you log the product's expiration date at intake and it warns you when the product is about to expire, among other stuff of course. Sure sometimes it can be hard to assess the actual expiration date and some beers don't even have a well defined one, but that is part of the job, or it should be.
  19. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Ah, so that was you standing behind me each time this happened. You should have said hi.
  20. since VA liquor stores only sell liquor...I guess I hate when they're all out of Basil Hayden's.
    ericj551 likes this.
  21. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Like I said I have mixed feelings.

Right now I'm trying to track down all of the Beers of Fame, and sorted by brand is very helpful. On the other hand, when I'm browsing trying to find something new, by style would be nice.
  22. I disagree with whatever your pet peeve is.

23. Be careful what you wish for. My bottle shop has started practicing this, and my chances at all limited releases has gone down substantially. Used to be able to get a limited release the day of and mostly the early part of the day after release. Now, they sell out within minutes of going on sale.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

I know that is the down side of it... but honestly, there are too many limited releases that I want that would go that fast. And, I stay so busy with work and family, that if no package store announces its arival, it would come and go without me even noticing.... For the majority of the situations where i do hear about a release, it just gives me the change to stop by the package store after work...
  25. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'd like to throw this hypothetical out there:

If a liquor store existed that eliminated all of your pet peeves (no expired product, well-organized, good stock, everything stored appropriately, good staff, etc.) would you be willing to pay 15-30% extra (rough estimate) to allow for all of that?
    Beerandraiderfan and GreenCoffee like this.
  26. You mean that it would cost MORE to house the entire store in a temperature-controlled, dimly lit cave?
    Zach136 likes this.
  27. It shouldn't cost anything extra. Have a computer in the store? Use it. Train your staff. Use common sense, don't be a dick, etc. etc.
  28. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

The store shouldn't be offering expired stock for sale.
  29. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

vodka has no taste. Unless it's pear, bubblegum, or marshmallow flavored apparently...
  30. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (290) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Totally agree. That's just over my head haha. That's why I said you should complain to your beer provider if you find expired beer on the shelf. :)
  31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Let's hope this is not the liquor store that you stop at when your wife goes into emergency labor and there is no place else open (have that darn kid on the sidewalk....we're running a business here!). Likewise; let's hope that this is not the attitude of the shop you stagger into after a crazed group of inner-city thugs beats the crap outta you and steals your wallet.
  32. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

If someone pissed into my beer; they would feel it! Feel it being poured down their throat, that is. Unless...they offered me a case of King Henry!;)
    JG-90 likes this.
  33. I would assume anyone who has worked in ANY sort of retail knows the value of a "no public restrooms" policy. The place eventually becomes the local community pisser.

People don't have time to play "bathroom detective" in order to figure out if it's a legit excuse every time someone asks. Some people will piss quietly, wash their hands, and leave. Some people will literally, no exaggeration, smear their own shit on the toilet and wall. Anyone who has pried a used tampon off of the stall door will hesitate to allow a customer to use the bathroom no matter how regularly they come by.
    joedevivre and erichall like this.
  34. erichall

erichall Aficionado (175) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

This software would only be effective if you are very diligent about first in first out inventory. Expecting those stocking shelves/coolers to always pull from the oldest case is impossible. 6 packs get pulled from shelf and thrown into cooler. Or you see a hole in the cooler and grab an unopened case when the oldest 6 packs were on a shelf elsewhere in the store. If you have a case stack and a customer wants an whole case. Its easier to grab am unopened case than 2 older six packs in the cooler and another 2 on the shelfsomewhere.
  35. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

Yes, of course it is not perfect but it helps. Plus, some stores could be more diligent than they are, just putting anything they want at the shelves without care.
  36. Yeah it definitely doesn't HAVE to be that way. When I worked grocery, they would freak if you weren't rotating while stocking new product, especially perishables. I would think beer applies to that - I don't know why it would be impossible.
  37. People holding up the line buying various scratchers and lottery tickets.
    zach60614 and rubicat like this.
  38. That they are closed on Sundays and Christmas :mad:
  39. I do not believe there is one aspect of the "Liquor Industry" that hasn't been talked about on this thread. You guys should actually try OWNING a store. Want to talk about hoops and insanity that we have to deal with on a daily basis. It is extremely hard to run a store the way we do, but we do it. There is NO perfect store, you just have to maintain the top spot and stay ahead of the competition at every junction. Set the bar higher than it ever has been before, but no matter what, there is always someone that will be upset....Too bad Jesus doesn't own a bottle shop! ;-)
    tedkenny, Chaz and Gregfalone like this.
  40. The store with the best selection within a few miles of my house or even other stores with better selections have the same beers all the time. I have to drive fifteen miles to have a great selection or something different.