1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Liquor Store Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Where is it illegal to carry BMC?
  2. In Oklahoma you can't carry BMC in a liquor store. It is ALL 3.2% ABW. We are only allowed to carry beers above 3.2%. BMC is sold cold at grocery stores and gas stations.
  3. potential liability goes both ways if this is in a state with a good samaratin statute. . .
  4. Isn't Budweiser 5% abv/3.9% abw though?
  5. You must really dislike vodka, because Russian tail in my experience(s) is all its cracked up to be and then some.

I'm not a big fan of vodka. . . but I love fuckin' white russians. So I feign interest in vodka.
  6. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

But these things DO cost money. Computers and inventory systems cost money. Space, shelving, refrigeration, etc. cost money. Well trained and highly motivated employees cost money. You're not gonna find too many employees who actually give a shit at minimum wage.

It's basic business. No store owner is going to invest in these things if he can't recoup his investment and then some. In order to provide these enhanced services said owner needs to increase price and/or deal in more volume.
    acevenom, Northlax3 and semibaked like this.
  7. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (275) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

Going to buy a fresh IPA and seeing a layer of dust on the bottle.
    [​IMG]

Or when you're at a cooler, people look in one on either side of you, pass in front of you to look at the other cooler (without saying excuse me - okay first time), then passing in front of you again (without saying excuse me) 10 seconds later just to look in the one they were at originally...

Or when they finally do open the cooler, they don't know what they want, leaving the door open for 5 minutes while I already know what I want, but too busy waiting for them to get with the program.

I feel like I have too many pet peeves when at the packy...

I'll end with this one - People begging for money right outside the entrance of a liquor store. :mad:
    HKUSPC40 likes this.
  8. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (290) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Holy shit I love the picture.
  9. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (275) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

Picture is worth a thousand <expletive> words, eh? :D
  10. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So I walked into a new shop for me a couple days ago to find GI Demolition in the refrigerator case! Bottle date was 2/2011. I never had it and it was $7.99 so I brought it up to the owner to pay and mentioned it was almost 2 yrs old. He said that beer ages up to 5 years. I told him it did not matter to me as I was game to try it but that it says only 4 months. He looked at the label and said it was wrong. I almost laughed outloud but I did not want him to throw me out. Whatever. Lol
    musicman7070 likes this.
  11. JerBuz

JerBuz Zealot (90) Indiana Sep 12, 2012

But then, everyone will know its there. and that can be as big a pain
  12. None of what you or I have listed is an enhanced service.
  13. Wow lol. That is pretty ridiculous. That guy definitely doesn't know what he's talking about. At only 7.2% ABV, there's no way that that beer would age 5 years! Knowing me, I probably would have laughed out loud. haha
  14. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Yeah at least it was refrigerated and not sittin on a shelf. That was the only reason I bought it and it was actually pretty good!
  15. Yeah, true. And that's awesome. Glad that the taste wasn't affected!
  16. Regarding the freshness of beer, why not just look at the expiration date before purchasing the beer? I understand that mistakes happen and sometimes an expired beer can slip through
  17. Seeing BMC cold and craft beer on the shelf warm.
    Not having a pick six selection.
    Liquor store staff not knowing anything about craft beer.
  18. There's a Total Wine not too far from me here in Jersey and even though I only go in there once every month or two, this happens to me *every* time I'm sorting through the bottles to see what I'll bring home with me and to top it off, the person moving the ladder has no idea how to put it in the *stopped* position so he can go up it to get the one box down that the person at the register needs.

Good call, my friend.
    JulianB likes this.
  19. I worked at a liquor store when I was younger and if people asked to use the bathroom my answer as always was, "Sure, it's right back there." And it's not like I was rebeling against what the boss' policy was, higher-ups never gave me shit about it.

Could someone piss all over the place and trash everything? Sure. But by protecting myself against that rare occurence, I have to be an asshole to the majority of people that ask to use the restroom. I'm not willing to do that. If having to mop up piss once every 6 months is the price I have to pay for being a friendly person, then I am willing to pay that price. And yes, I have mopped up piss in other jobs, so I know how gross it can be.
    zaphodchak and gkatsoris like this.
  20. Coming from someone who used to work for this company i completely understand your complaint. But the really good stuff you would want on display they never get enough of. Even being a large store nationwide they are subjected to the same allocations that everyone else is. So in the end of the season you have a ton of beer you have to move that hasn't sold. So it goes on display and it sells. Overall its on the managers to not order more than can sell.
  21. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I find your avatar to be pretty disturbing and offensive. Just sayin.
  22. That place is called "Green's Beverages" in Myrtle Beach.
  23. What the hell liquor store did you work at that had the publicly-available bathroom get dirty so rarely? Scratch that, what kind of place exists where ANY public toilet is used so cautiously and carefully?

No seriously, do you share a neighborhood with God or something? If so, good thing you avoided the heinous sin of telling people to piss somewhere else - God would have been pissed!
  24. It was just a run of the mill liquor store in a working class town near where I grew up. It's not like we had a sign out front that said "Public restroom inside!" Rather, if someone asked if they could use one, we let them. It really wasn't a big deal.
  25. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

When they post on Facebook that they have or will have something, and don't tell you the price. Even after several people ask. I get that it's some sort of thing where they want you to come in to find out, and maybe buy other stuff, but it's annoying.
  26. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Customers...they suck!

Oh this thread is for patrons, not liquor store workers, maybe I should start a thread about that. :)
    Vav likes this.
  27. Here in Southern Cali, almost EVERY store keeps there 1-2 bottle allocations in the back. While this is cool for us that know what we are looking for, this is the part that gets me going.

Me: Enter bottle shop.
    Emp: "Anything I can help you with?"
    Me: "Do you have any single bottle allocations in the back?"
    Emp: "What are you looking for?"

WTF! Now i have to go down a standard bucket list of single allocation beers, btw, that rarely EVER changes! Don't ask me WTF i'm looking for and them make me say, "ohh PtE, Blind Pig, RR this, Alpine that, this BA stout, that BW" or whatever the new release is.....
  28. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Disciple (70) Delaware Dec 7, 2010

My I just hate my local store. Most of the time the guys there are asking me about the beers im buying. I think if you work at the berr syore you should know about alk the beer your selling.
  29. The town of Arlington Heights, IL will not allow liquor stores to sell cold bombers..."It will attract a lower class of individual to our area"... meaning homeless people...when was the last time a homeless person dropped $3 on a bottle of Weihenstaphaner when he/she could get a lot more Maddog 20/20 for a bigger kick?
  30. Ugh... saw the worst in action this morning - those "Beers of the World" store-mixed six packs and other similar scams. They're $9.99 for six beers, and have something like one beer from Victory and one from SN rounded out by Harp, Heineken, Labatt, and Dos Equis. I saw a "microbrewery" one too with an assortment of Leinenkugel, Yuengling, Shock Top, Blue Moon, and Newcastle.
    A guy in the store recommended it to a woman after she found out they were out of the 60-minute cases her son wanted (and she then asked for "hoppy beer"). I gnashed my teeth and nearly stopped him/offered her a Racer 5 bomber. Fortunately, a more beer-savvy clerk came by a minute later and recommended Torpedo.
  31. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

in some states, like here in VA, it is illegal to post the price...
  32. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I don't know if it like that in CA, but but that would be a good explanation if it is. Never heard that law before.
  33. VAcrossr

VAcrossr Savant (260) Virginia Jun 12, 2009

Is that specifi
    c to certain VA regions? It's standard in Charlottesville to see the bottle prices. Definitely prefer that verses the ask-how-much-every-bottle-is-game.
  34. ncaudle

ABC regulation. I've never seen places like Beer Run in C'ville to advertise the beer prices on the likes of FB/twitter. print advertising is a different situation.
  35. VAcrossr

VAcrossr Savant (260) Virginia Jun 12, 2009

Got it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any social media prices for our VA shops. Guess I was confusing that situation with some bottle shops in places I've traveled that don't have prices posted in the stores, either on the bottles or at least on the shelf. That's a pet peeve of the first rank.
  36. ncaudle

agreed. that is either pure laziness or greed by the shop.
  37. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

It's never bothered me, but I worked in beverage long enough that very little gets to me. What I -did- find irritating was when I'd buy a 12-pack of my favorite domestic swill (see avatar) and have a customer berate me for my horseshit taste and proceed to tell me: "you work at the Polish Liquor Barn! SURELY, you can afford better beer!" Taste being subjective and all, what the heck are you gonna tell a turkey like that? Nothin'; Mama didn't tell me not to crack wise but being socked in the jaw one too many times did (and besides, it was GREAT to have a job during a recession).
    Depends on the store, I suppose? I'm not big into wine but have overheard wine buyers (aficianados?) quibbling with one another enough over the years that I suspect most cashiers are happy enough just to send 'em on their merry way!
  38. A couple of things. I won't get to everything. From the perspective of someone that has worked in a bottle shop for the best part of 6.5 years.

Firstly, singles out of 6-packs. Is ok to do. However, what is not ok to do is to rip singles out of 6 packs when there are clearly singles available! That is one of the things that really bugs me...

Secondly, this thing about having single beer bottles or cartons or whatever at the back of the store (in the storeroom), whether rare or not, just doesn't happen in reality - whatever is at the back of the store is over-stocks for what can't fit out on the shelves in the actual store.

The only reasons beer might be exclusively at the back of the store is:
    • it is on a promotion and it hasn't started yet;
    • it has no pricing - this is so for large chain liquor stores where pricing is centrally done elsewhere outside the store
    I will concede, on the rare occasion, that some beer might be kept at the back of the store for a particular customer who is a regular and the beer in question is in short supply. But that has occured more prevalenty as I have down-sized into a smaller store, certainly in the bigger stores there is less of a need to do it as you have more stock generally...

Otherwise the only other reason to have beer exclusively at the back of the store if it's stock I have my mits on - and in this regard when it comes to the customer/employee relationship where the customer comes first, not in this case :p
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Some of y'all really need to make better friends with your local craft beer provider. Learn their name, talk to them, and stay loyal to one store and you'll have a lot easier of a time with this whole thing.

RE: holding in the back. This is completely normal here in Texas and I expect it for all limited releases and prefer it. Otherwise you get cats who'll buy up the entire allocation of a certain beer from a store with no intention of actually drinking it... who'll subsequently throw it on Craigslist (at 2-3x the original price) to try to make a buck. These cats mostly live in Houston, wear ties, and are particularly fond of Saint Arnold.
  40. Not in the handful of 3.2 ABW states.

[​IMG]

AB, MC and some of the bigger imports (Heineken, Corona, etc. *) all make"not more than 3.2% alcohol by weight" versions of many of their beers for those markets. There are even 3.2 malt liquors - Olde English 800 3.2

*And probably other domestic and foreign brewers-​
    maybe the 3.2 staters on BA can supply more examples.​