1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Liquor Store Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

This thread's tl/dr version:

Consumers suck.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  2. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Last I heard...they did have homeless folks hanging out at the library in AH. Maybe they came across BA on the public-use computers?

(JK.....I am pro-homeless folks. So please do not call me a politically incorrect, uncaring jerk!)
  3. I couldn't let this one go without passing comment.

I worked in a very large liquor store for about 5 years where we had not one but two restrooms (as you yanks call them) for both chicks and guys.

Anyway, it was located across the street from a pub, so often people would come in and ask us to use the restoom and despite having ample facilities at the store, we told them to go to the pub to do what they had to...

The reasoning for this goes is that going shopping at liquor store isn't like going to mall - you normally don't spend more than 15 mins in there as you have a good idea of what you want and you get it and if it's not there you leave - so the courtesy is extended to being able to hold it in without needing to use the facilities.

If we were a costco (seems like a huge department store) or ikea I can see why we should let you use our restroom but not for a liquor store (despite being one of the biggest around) - plus there is the issue that the workers' valuables are situated close by and it's not exactly appropriate for that reason to let them use the rr...

But talking about pissing on the building, we had a customer one day - go through to our storeroom and I was close by - our storeroom always has the roller door up but the outside of that area is fenced off, so it's difficult to say the least to get in or out of the storeroom as you would have to jump a 2m high fence - anyway I watched this guy going through the storeroom thinking **** his got something and his about to jump the fence and do a runner - but no I go through the storeroom into the fenced off area and find him pissing on our ice fridge - I said 'mate what the ****?'; he said 'I had to go as I got kicked out of the pub across the street', after that he gathered himself, walked back through the storeroom into the store and had the audacity to try to buy something - I kicked him out - this sort of thing just ain't acceptable - a line needs to be drawn in the sand.
  4. I dislike when I am excited to pick up a fresh release, and it comes in late. The worst is if a beer store worker lets me know when it is supposed to arrive, and then when it finally does come in later, it is marked way up in price... I can understand the west-coast brews taking awhile to make their ways to massachusetts, but it really can draw the wind of of my sails if I am gearing up for some kind of specialty. In particular, I think this only really matters for "best by" or "drink by" bottles, dated stuff like Stone's 12.12.12, and perhaps to a certain degree for IPAs. Also if stores in MA do not carry Jack's Abby, I am unimpressed.
    On the opposite end, just because I have to end this post on a positive note, I do really enjoy seeing a little "brewed/bottled on" freshness reminder, not to mention a batch number. Had a batch #001 of Mystic Brewery's Day of Doom last night, and boy oh boy was it a full drinking experience! Low batch numbers = high spirits :D
  5. Customers complaining about $.25 savings they save on the opposite side of town and customers who ask what the price of something is when they are standing right in front of the price tag and are too lazy to look then ask me like I'm supposed to know the price of every single item in the store off the top of my head.
  6. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

7. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (260) Florida Sep 15, 2012

I just went to the store near me which tends to have some good stuff but he just runs a bad operation, just heard him arguing with a couple of been vendors directly in the store. he'll have new seasonal stuff in stock on the floor of the aisle just sitting there for a month before he checks into the system. He changes prices all the time. Ive seen a certain bottle go from 15.99 to 16.99 to 18.99 and today its at 20.99.
  8. In N.Y. beer is sold entirely in separate stores. A lot of times these stores have craft beer sections. When purchasing a high end beer with a higher price tag the employee typically gives a "did you know it cost this much" kind of statement. Instead of getting annoyed (like I did in the past bc if ur going to sell something you should know your product) I try to use the opportunity to teach them why it's a good buy... quality and taste as well as a bit of history of the ale if there is some. People won't learn if we don't teach them.
  9. Nothing makes a work day better like a lecture.
    stealth and Envelopes like this.
  10. I hate it when stores charge money for beer. Ugh, the audacity.
  11. Vaison

Vaison Aficionado (190) Delaware Aug 27, 2010

Being in the same aisle with the know-it-all who obviously reads too much BA and then offers his unsolicited advice.
    JG-90 likes this.
  12. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

These are the stores I don't return to.