1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Listen to this Tap Crap!

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Lefty1881, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Aficionado (220) Florida Dec 31, 2010

The girl that does the ordering for Tap 42 went up to Cigar City, I asked her to grab me a BA Big Sound for my birthday and I'd give her $20 when I came in with all my buddies on my Birthday. She said no problem, and grabbed a bunch. So we're there at Tap, and as she's leaving she said "I saw online I can get over $100 per bottle, sorry gotta pay my bills." and left- in front of all the people I brought, we were all SHOCKED! Like, did that just friggin' happen, today of all days? Holy crap - talk about a massive boycott! All the people I told to go to that place, and how great I talk it up all over town. Now, f that - what a scumbag move.

So if she's trying to sell you them through here, enjoy what would have been a nice birthday present to myself. I'm still fuming about a week later.

2. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (185) Florida Jan 4, 2011

That is pretty shitty. I've seen Hunahpu for sale at a restaurant for at least 50$.

3. Lefty1881

Looking back, I should've let my Puerto Rican girlfriend go after her like she was going to. haha

4. You're going to encourage a boycott of an establishment over this? Was the owner even aware?

It sounds like you made a side deal with an employee there you're friendly with, and she failed to come through. Shitty move no doubt, but what did this establishment do to lose your business? I'd just not go to the bar when she's there so I'm never tipping her.

5. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

So she refused to sell you the one she promised?

6. Lefty1881

She doesn't bartend, she orders their beers - which in this area is one of the best selections no doubt.. But apparently they don't pay her enough there, so she has to do awesome stuff like that, which means the place should be boycotted if it results in their employees treating good people like this.

7. Lefty1881

Yes - on my birthday, in front of my family and friends.

8. This. Your deal was a personal one between you and her. The bar has nothing to do with it. Having said that, what a shitty move. If she wanted to buy some for resale (another shitty move IMO) she could have done that and just bought one extra for you. I would just ignore her when you are there and she is working. She is dead to you. Boycotting the bar will hurt you not her.

9. Was the plan to consume the bottle at the bar on your birthday? Frankly, if so I'd be furious if I was the owner and an employee was allowing that...it's beer you bought from her, not beer you purchased from the establishment.

10. Lefty1881

No no, we were going to go back to my place to watch a football game & share it with a bunch of us. This was while we were paying the tab.

11. Gotcha. Either way, I think your aggression is a little misplaced if you're going to organize a boycott (or even recommend one to friends) based on one employee being an ass. If the experience has soured you personally on going, no complaints here, but you're really going after a lot of people's livelihoods based on one (admittedly) major dick move.

wolfeman007 and VncentLIFE like this.
  12. You mean a shitty person who works at a trendy beer bar in douche-town reneged on a promise and is selling your bottle online? I'll feign surprise. Fuck this state and most of the people in it. I swear.

nickfl and El_Zilcho like this.
  13. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Local? Somebody told me they saw Black Ops for around that much as well.

14. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (335) Florida Feb 18, 2011

DRB is one shining example of that.

15. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

There's nothing about DRB that shines.. Place (both of them) suck. You have a better chance of finding craft beers at a gas station than you do there.

16. raverjames

raverjames Savant (490) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

Where does she think she will be selling it? EBay is a no go.

17. once agian, Ryan has a great response.

18. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

I've never once been denied this if I ask before hand... I will only do it if it's a true beer-geek place and only with beers that they can't get there... I take CCB bottles with me on pretty much every business trip I go on out of state and share them at the beer bars that I visit, and am usually looked at as a hero for sharing awesome beers that they can't get otherwise... Now I can understand if it were multiple bottles, but one or two, if the owner is a true beer advocate they shouldn't make a fuss, especially if you give them a taste.

Now back to the topic of this post, that was super shitty of her. OP send me a PM, I might be able to help you out if you're still looking for a bottle.

Zach136 likes this.
  19. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Have you told the owner of the bar what went down?
    He will probably fire her and tell you that you are not welcome in his bar again because you tried to use his employee to get a better deal. since you want to boycott his place anyway, everyone wins. :cool:

adam42381, beerFool28607 and Uwftke26 like this.
  20. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (185) Florida Jan 4, 2011

yeah. I actually had the black ops there which was super spendy but I hadn't seen it anywhere else and wanted to try it plus it was a birthday dinner. Bartender said something like if we wanted to get real crazy he had some hunahs. I'm assuming the "real crazy" meant spend even more money than the ops. I think it's the same guy that owns stop n shop which coincidentally also has some black ops for $35 a pop.

21. sounds like someone needs a beer!

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  22. I would have been more mad if I had given her the money beforehand. Still shitty though.

23. LaurenTap42

LaurenTap42 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012

Hey there everyone, I'm Lauren. I'm the shitty person who didn't sell AJ the Cigar City Bourbon Barrel Big Sound. I flew to Tampa because my friend was in competition there. We were in Tampa for almost two days, I saw almost because we weren’t even there for 2 whole days. Seeing that we flew to Tampa on a whim for two days, I didn’t check a bag. Obviously you cannot bring beer on an airplane, they make you pour it out before getting on the plane. Therefore I was only able to get 6 bottles, and have them safely brought to me here in Fort Lauderdale. Two are for my cellar and I bought my best friends one bottle each. When I landed I checked my email and saw that there were 7 emails from people who saw my posts on either my blog/facebook/instagram/tumblr/twitter/untapped and offered me $50-$200. I sold one for $150 and one for $200. I sincerely apologize that I did not sell you a bottle for $20. I already told you that I was sorry and that you’re correct, I was shitty for not selling you the bottle. Aj, if you feel as if you need to take out your hatred for me on the bar where I work, be my guest, I can’t control your actions. The bar where I work didn’t do anything to you, it was me that chose not to sell you the bottle. In the end, please hate me, ridicule me, or even throw eggs at me if that will please you.

24. Bluecane

I'm sure Cigar City will be thrilled to hear of this....probably not the best idea to post this on here.

kpanter, Lantern and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  25. The obvious unasked question...who on Earth is paying these sums for Big Sound?

26. LaurenTap42

I couldn't bring extra, I flew to Tampa, with no checked bags. I only brought 6 because I couldn't physically bring anymore. You cannot fly with beer.

27. This is like a BA reality show :)

nickfl, Msquared2, Lantern and 4 others like this.
  28. LaurenTap42

The people who are getting the bottles are people who I have traded with in the past. It evens out on both ends, when I get beers that don't dist in their area I send to them regardless if they are sending me things and when they see sours I want they just randomly ship them without asking for anything in return either. Right now everyone is looking for these bottles, I've bought beer from people in other states before for just the same price.

29. raverjames

raverjames Savant (490) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

Wow, drama on BA. That is shocking.

Bung, JulianB and whitekiboko like this.
  30. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

You can't fly with beer in your carry-on... You most definitely can fly with beer in a checked bag, I do it all the time.

And I have no idea what your bar is like, but I'm thinking if I were CCB I'd make sure your bar never got any of my beers again if you're going to seriously rape someone for $200 on a $20 bottle... Nothing like taking advantage of the equity in a brand you had nothing to do with building. I realize you didn't purchase these bottles from a distributor for on-premise consumption, but still, it's fucked up. Just my 2 pennies worth.

31. Should I sell it to TLC or MTV? TLC viewers probably have more disposable income, but maybe Viacom wants to court better viewers... Since Discovery (who owns TLC) already kowtows to BMC, making craft beer look bad would probably be an easy sell.

Pieces? No, but 30 boxcars of silver would be a different story.

wolfeman007 likes this.
  32. LaurenTap42

I didn't check a bag. Alright, done with this. All I wanted to do was say what I said to Aj, so I'm done.

33. This is a stretch. Sorry your side deal fell through, but as many others have said this has nothing to do with the establishment the person who screwed is employed by.

I don't know what to say. On one hand it's good you're admitting your mistake but on the other you knew it was "shitty" and it's obvious you'd do it all over again. Of course people lie all of the time and do much worse things in life, it's just weird to see someone basically spell out that they're word/integrity is worth ~ $180.

34. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (335) Florida Feb 18, 2011

There are breweries that would outright banish you for doing what you did. I'm not entirely sure about Cigar City, but if I were in their shoes, I'd sure as hell make it certain you'd never purchase another bottle or set foot in my tap room if I found out you were scalping my product for your own personal gain.

35. I've never been to Tap42, but if she works there, I won't be going. Integrity is an interesting thing she hasn't learned yet.

36. Lefty1881

I'll get over it eventually, I'll get home from work & just have a crappy run of the mill Founders stout.

37. I'm still confused as to how she brought back 6 beers without checking a bag. (setting everything else aside)

Bung, Lantern, bryanole27 and 4 others like this.
  38. Two possibilities:

1. This is a just an elaborate gag. The carry-on bag stuff being the most likely indicator of that, the TSA doesn't give a flying fuck (pardon the pun) about your beer profiteering and would never let you carry it on.

2. Lauren is a huge jerk for pulling a ridiculous stunt like that.

Bung and Lantern like this.
  39. Bluecane

Yes! Ditto!

gothedistance likes this.
  40. Bluecane

[No longer relevant.]