1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Listen to this Tap Crap!

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Lefty1881, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Duly noted and edited. Had a few too many tonight and this story (plus her sanctimonious replies) set me off.

2. Their*

Other than that, great post. I thought the same thing.

Bung likes this.
  3. Boycotting the bar seems unwarranted, but I'd inform the owner of what happened.

4. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Sounds good. Will do the same if I can.

5. Bluecane

I'm most interested to know:

1. How she got even 6 bottles back.
    2. What the owner of the bar thinks.
    3. What Cigar City thinks/

Lantern likes this.
  6. As much as I want to believe the carry-on thing is a total lie, the TSA and their security theatre is such an inept operation I suppose I could see it sneaking through. One hell of a risk to take though, just to profiteer off some beer bottles.

7. It could be worse, you could be the guy that just dropped $200 on one.

Zach136, kpanter, Lantern and 6 others like this.
  8. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Aficionado (210) Florida Dec 31, 2010

I would
    I would love a bottle, thank you.

9. I can understand where you are coming from, I dont think I could turn down money like that either. But it sounds like you had agreed to get this bottle for whats his face here, and probably wouldnt have had it without this agreement. The right thing would be to at least split the profits with the dude who is supposed to be the rightful owner of this brew. To take his beer, and sell it and keep everything for yourself, well you cant get more scummy than that.

10. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I call bullshit, nobody in FL would pay that. The few sites that do allow people to sell beer have beers of much higher value for less money. Also, your story doesn't jive about not having a carry on and bringing back six bottles. This whole statement makes you sound worse, not better.

polisanl likes this.
  11. Hey there everyone, I am the crappy person who bought AJ's bottle for $200. But I turned around and sold it to someone else for $500. Please dont take it out on some bar I dont know of and dont care about. In the end, please hate me, ridicule me if that pleases you but please dont throw eggs at me.

Lantern, BigGene, Bluecane and 2 others like this.
  12. tzolandz

tzolandz Aficionado (195) Virginia Mar 17, 2012

did he at least get his $20 back :)

13. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

so then what youre saying is you made enough money off two bottles to fly back to tampa in order to hook up the op AND still be able to keep those two bottles for yourself?

davey101 likes this.
  14. this dead horse is taking a beating but I think if he had given her the $20 upfront and she used said $20 to buy the beer and turn around and sell it..total dik move...i can only assume she had to check the bag on the way home which is $25 and then found a way to make some bucks and decided to not hook this dude up. not cool but nothing worth having a temper tantrum about...its just beer :)

15. Integrity and the value of your word are worth a lot more than a few sweaty bucks Lauren. Once you cross that line and prove yourself to be a liar it is very difficult to ever get your good name back. The scope of the lie is nowhere near as important as the lie itself. The fact that you would compromise your integrity over so little is actually much worse. If you didn't want to bring the guy the bottle you never should have told him you would. Once you did you should have felt the commitment. If you will lie about something as small as this you will lie about much more. I can't speak for your town but in CLT word travels very fast and a lot of folks would look at you differently.

16. FLAbrew

FLAbrew Aspirant (40) Dec 12, 2012

-- How did she get the bottles on board, you ask? --

Simple. If you follow her on social media, you'll see that she was on a private jet for that trip. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see her scrambling to hide that evidence.

Second, reselling craft beer (and in her case, LOCAL craft beer) is a huge dick move and highly frowned upon by anyone in the craft beer community with a shred of dignity and decency. There's this thing called "beer karma" and right now Lauren is neck deep in the negative.

Also, who in gods name buys BA Big Sound for $150-$200? Sounds like her kind of beer people are as awful as she is.

While Tap42 seems to have nothing to do with this black market raping, I would assume her trip was business related and if this is how she's going to abuse that sort of inside resource, I hope she's fired AND banished from Cigar City.

kpanter, Bung, bryanole27 and 2 others like this.
  17. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I would not employee someone who acts this way. Like everyone else said if your integrity is worth such a small amount of money I would not even trust you counting my cash register. However there is one thing that has not been answered. Is she at least hot?

voxomkid likes this.
  18. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Lulz.. Just do a Google Image search of her.

19. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

'Insert joke about Billy Idol scalping the op's beer here'

20. Hey, I'm all for weighing in on the beer transaction but this tearing on someone's appearance is starting to feel like bullying. Not cool. /endthread

chardlogic, Uwftke26, jloomis and 4 others like this.
  21. Lefty1881

Ya even I say that's a bit much.

22. Lefty1881

Ok- this is done now.. I have nothin against Tap, I just blew up at them cuz that's where we were on my Birthday when it happened.. I'll go back anytime, I feel bad saying boycott - it was a reaction and they knew nothing about it.
    Tap's owner even called and we are smoothing things over.
    AND THEN!!!
    Cigar City called (which I almost doodoo'd my panteloons) to make everything right, even though they had nothing to do with this whole mess. 900% A+++ Customer Serivce! I didn't expect anything from anyone from this, and for CCB to be that amazing yet again- they always take care of us on Hunahpu Day and we'll see them again in March, I'm just blown away. But still kind of sorry it got so out of hand, and escalated to the point where I had to even get these calls. I was a good customer, I still will be, I only blew up because I love the place. I either drink at Tap or drink at home and just want this to be done done done.
    Cheers. Thanks Advocate's for having my back too.
    All I wanted was a beer.

Lantern, bryanole27, robinsmv and 3 others like this.
  23. Indeed brother.

24. All I wanted was a Pepsi!

25. Lauren is why the craft beer scene sucks.

Bung, JulianB, chardlogic and 2 others like this.
  26. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I bet she actually sold the Beer for $20 bucks and the rest was for services rendered ;)

27. Bluecane

Seriously.

28. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

No, I think this has to be the dumbest post in this thread.

Zach136, xxcarpxx and BigGene like this.
  29. Lefty1881

Phil from Cigar City took care of me! Awesome guy, hooked me up with the Barrel Aged Big Sound, a 2011 Cheers Beer Cognac Barrel Aged Warmer Winter Winter Warmer, and a Florida Cracker canned on my Birthday Dec 6! Thank you Cigar City- Phil & Joey! I wasn't trying to get anything from this, but you all went way above and beyond! Cheers - I'll see you in March.
    [​IMG]

30. Bluecane

Phil is the man, and CCB rocks!

31. But...but....but....I want Cheers!.... sad face/jealousy. Seriously though, good on them.

32. I'll give you $25 for the Big Sound. :)

Zach136, xxcarpxx, chardlogic and 5 others like this.
  33. Lefty1881

I already sold it for about, Tree Fiddy.
    Just kidding, that baby is going in my belly!

Zach136 and Lantern like this.
  34. FLAbrew

FLAbrew Aspirant (40) Dec 12, 2012

I am a member of the South Florida craft beer community, and am affiliated with various businesses in the industry and therefore must remain unfortunately anonymous as to not burn any bridges or cause tensions between bars/customers/distributors/breweries (Unlike Lauren, I actually care). You can commend her for her openness and honesty, but trust me, she's done more harm to herself than good. Sadly, I'm compelled to be the only one to tell Lauren like it is.

South Florida has come a long way in a few short years in regards to craft beer. Like any other industry, it has its good and its bad, but we're lucky to have a close-knit community in a region typically divided due to its large population of transients. It's not uncommon for a local sporting event to be attended by mostly fans of the visiting team, for example. But with beer, for the most part, we're all friends or even just loosely acquainted. Breweries carry guest taps of each other's beers, bars promote each other, collaborations are common, help is always offered, and generally everyone simply gets along. It's rare for anyone to purposely screw someone over (a miracle in this state, often known as America's scam capital) like we've learned in this thread. Personally, I've never witnessed such a debacle in all my years in local beer here.

While not trying to "beat a dead horse" as the saying goes, I would like to take this opportunity to enlighten Lauren as to her current status in the eyes of those around her. She has committed a grave mistake in the utilization of industry resources to acquire and resell (at an outrageous profit) not just beer, but local beer. While she may have retained her employment with Tap42, I can assure her that what she has lost is worth far more than a weekly paycheck (which, for some reason, she says doesn't pay the bills, forcing her onto the black market of beer resale). Lauren has lost respect, customers, friends, and social media followers. Those I know in the local industry insist they would never hire her after this (especially with the complete lack of remorse she has shown), and many of us feel disgusted that we're forced to smile and keep things amicable for the sake of beer and supporting each other's businesses. Lauren is perceived now with total disgust and she should be skeptical of every smile she encounters, for I guarantee it is a facade. This local beer thing of ours is bigger than ourselves, and hopefully one day she will learn that lesson. Every bar, every taproom, every brewery, every bottle release she attends, she will be met with either ignorance or phony cordiality. Florida may be a lot of things, but I pray we not see another incident like this again, as we have made great progress in short while and there are some terrific people down here.

Zach136, kpanter, Lantern and 13 others like this.
  35. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Zealot (75) Florida Oct 27, 2012

Another story of shitty move and attitude by a tap 42 employee. I refuse to go there after hearing of all the negative stories about tap 42.

BigGene likes this.
  36. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Zealot (75) Florida Oct 27, 2012

Amen!!!

37. The TL;DR version : She's a pariah!

BigGene likes this.
  38. Lefty1881

I read this to 3 people that were there that night, and witnessed it- including my homebrew partner- and they all applaud you. The craft brew community is too tight to do that.
    -AJ

BigGene likes this.
  39. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I am not from there, and do not know any of the players, but post this was very well written and expressed a lot of the feelings I would have had as a customer towards Laruen.

I am somewhat surprised that she is still employed because as a knowledge customer I would discount anything she said, knowing she sells out her word at work for small amounts of cash. Because beer drinking leaves lots of time for talking, I suspect most customers will become knowledgeable.

BigGene and miamichael2 like this.
  40. Lefty1881

Not trying to get anyone fired - I just wanted a beer on my Birthday & to not be treated like crap. Everything's been sorted, I'm happy. Everyone's happy, let's just go on with what we do best - drinking!

gothedistance likes this.