1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Listen to this Tap Crap!

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Lefty1881, Dec 11, 2012.

1. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Should have given her the money up front. its tough giving up beer to people that didn't prepay when you return from a buying trip.

wolfeman007 likes this.
  2. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

#1 was my guess as well JulianB.

I go out West fairly often, and bring back stuff to trade or sell to friends all the time. However, we all know that sometimes unforseen events occur, and I always make it clear that I'll do my best to bring the beer back, but can't make any guarantees. I also tend to stay in touch via BA or email whenever I'm out there, just to let them know what the story is (sometimes a beer I thought I could get isn't available, or sometimes it costs more than I expected and I want to verify that the recipient is still interested. Sometimes the recipient changes his mind as well. Also, everyone knows it's something of a pain to bring beer back on a plane, and I've never met anyone who was really bent out of shape if a deal falls through and I can't bring back a promised beer.).

My point being, I find the behavior of both parties rather unusual in this case. I'm surprised "Laura" didn't get in touch with the OP while in Tampa to advise him she couldn't get his beer, and I'm surprised the OP is so outraged over this (at most she was doing him a favor; she didn't owe him anything). Also, she couldn't give him one of the beers she planned to cellar? Granted, she didn't owe him anything, but she did promise to bring back a beer.. under normal circustances, I would think she'd want to make good on her promise.

I don't know... something about this story just doesn't add up. Why would "Laura" say what she said about the beers she brought back (that she got a better deal elsewhere)? That's a pretty douche-like thing to do. Why not simply say something along the lines of "sorry, I wasn't able to bring back the beer you wanted," and leave it at that?

I agree JulianB... I think this is an elaborate gag.

3. MikeMoriendi

MikeMoriendi Savant (270) Florida Jun 13, 2008

I was keeping my opinions out of this post but as someone involved in the beer community down here, I assure you this is not a gag.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  4. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (165) Florida Jan 4, 2011

why would you make a gag that would possibly keep people out of the restaurant you work at?

5. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Aficionado (210) Florida Dec 31, 2010

Good lord this is getting ridiculous.. Just when I thought this would end. Lauren texted me accusing me of putting her phone number online because she's getting threatening texts and said " I hope you're happy with what you brought on me." WOW! Sounds like a story a teenager would make up. 1, I'm pretty sure I didn't bring anything on her, I just stated what happened that night, and 2, anyone here see me put her number? I even erased it. I don't have her number. She is off her rocker- even went so far to block me from commenting on Tap's page. I was at Tap no more than an hour ago with a few buddies, had the Expedition stout on tap and wanted to say how amazing it was... But I can't, yet all my friends can comment. Just shoot me, this is too sad and funny at the same time. You wanna say your piece, go on Tap's page and put unblock AJ. Because this is just dumb - she's going to ruin my favorite place real fast.

6. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Aficionado (210) Florida Dec 31, 2010

Here's the text she sent me:
    I want to let you know that the reason you were blocked on Facebook is because you slandered a member of our staff on a public forum. While from a business perspective we have every right to block whomever we choose, for whatever reason, I'm making the decision to unblock you because the drama is not worth it. If there is ever another incident with you slandering a member of our staff, you, as well as anyone else would, will be blocked again. It's my call and I want to let you know personally that I'm rising above your pettiness and unblocking you. As a business we value every customer, and I hope this will be a show of solidarity despite your very personal attacks on me as a person. I hope you can let bygones be bygones and honestly I really think that you owe me an apology for attacking me on a personal level on a public forum. But I don't expect it, I'm just letting you know I have the dignity enough to let go of this drama.

And my reply:
    Dude, you already know the only thing I said about you online was the way you treated me - which was all facts and actual events, with witnesses. That was the last time we spoke. Which your boss and cigar city went out of their way and apologized for on your behalf. So no slander - but I have been made a local celebrity - everyone knows me as The Tap 42 Guy - even at Lokal Burger and Beer in Coral Gables. ( I live no where near there).
    Look, i know you're young- i just want to give you advice. Don't treat people like crap, and then blame it on them and act the victim. It doesn't go over well. You'll see when you're older.

7. raverjames

raverjames Savant (490) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

So she was sending you messages as a representative of the business, but the message was basically her defending herself. If I were that business owner, I would consider having a sit down talk with my employee. It isn't really the businesses concern what she does with her own life, but the minute she starts acting as a representative of the company, it is a big issue. I would send that on to the owner.

TheFunGuy, dachshunddude86 and Bung like this.
  8. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I quoted your whole post, because I agree strongly, but also wanted to go one further.

First sentence: I agree. Like a bad sit-com response.

Second sentence: I would terminate her for the second strike.

Third sentence: Agree

Fourth sentence: Agree in strong terms. He needs to know what his marketing person is doing on his time and on his primary marketing space.

Bung and dachshunddude86 like this.
  9. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I think that she needs to learn what slander means. If she admited she did it, and that's all the negative talk you are posting, it's not slander. Even if you did, I think that's libel. Either way, not a asset to the company, that chick.

Bung and dachshunddude86 like this.
  10. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

Sort of like her post on the first page of this thread where she tried to defend herself using the name of the business in her handle. I don't see myself ever going to ft. Lauderdale, but if I do, I won't be patronizing a place where this person is employed, especially in some sort of management role.

Bung, dachshunddude86 and TheFunGuy like this.
  11. Wow and I thought my small town beer barn had drama !!!!
    I stand corrected.

12. Lauren suuuuuucks

13. I called her out on the Facebook group "Florida beer" shortly after this and she and her friend just jumped on my back. She responded similarly and I just left it. Frankly, I don't think people who rationalize things like this as "slander" will ever understand.

My realization as of late is this:

Keep calm and drink excessively. Also, hoard guns.

kpanter, chardlogic and Bluecane like this.
  14. 5YearWinter

5YearWinter Zealot (85) Florida Jan 8, 2013

She posted her own phone number on the same Facebook group just mentioned. It is still there and still visible to anyone that joins the group. So yeah there goes her accusation of that.