1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Little Creatures adding a permanent IPA to range

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by foles, Aug 1, 2013.

1. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

This will be very interesting. Hope its a bit less "harsh" than the pale ale. Although had a fresh pintzilla of pale ale on the weekend and it was drinking well.

People have been screaming out for another beer in their core range for years. Ironic it happens post sell-out.

MrKennedy likes this.
  2. Yeah perhaps LN are looking for growth from LC.

I mean how many beers did James Squire turn out in the last couple of years that have deviated from their original 3 - amber, golden and the pilsner?

I will certainly be looking at you guys' opinion on it as to whether I will source it for my store.

3. foles

Good point on the JS - Or more so Matilda Bay. Hope this isn''t a Big Helga, IGP or Fat Yak.

4. Fat Yak wasn't a disaster but Big Helga certainly has been.

Hopefully LC produce an IPA and not another pale ale.

5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Fat Yak is a quite an OK beer, but on tap it's a crap-shoot because most venues that have it don't give a shit. At times I've been pleasantly surprised, other times it's been pallid and stale.

As for LC IPA, there's every reason to expect something decent. Will be disappointing if it's underwhelming or a slightly spruced up version of the Pale.

6. foles

Problem is LC has chopped and changed their hops in the past to supply/exchange rates/ etc. Do that in an IPA and your in trouble. Maybe Lion Nathan has taught them about consistency... Beers have been pretty consistent lately.

7. hopefully LC do a decent job of this unlike the last few single batches

fat yak is a terrible beast on tap, ive never had a glass that tasted anywhere like the bottle

8. hopefully LC do a decent job of this unlike the last few single batches

fat yak is a terrible beast on tap, ive never had a glass that tasted anywhere like the bottle

9. Twinathon

Twinathon Disciple (50) Australia May 1, 2013

Launch of the beer will be held at The Park Hotel in Werribee on the 20th of September. According to the poster the beer will sit at 60 IBU's and 6.4% abv, though no hop bill was provide. Looks positive, hopefully it's a good drop.

10. 6.4%? LN will do well to succeed nationally with it.

11. Initial reports are positive. Yet to have it myself....

12. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Will give it a go at 6.4%
    Have heard the test batches have been good.
    If it is as good as 77 IPA from Riverside is the next question