1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Little ISO help fellas...(and ladies)

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by evilcatfish, Dec 6, 2012.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to post some ISO's for stuff I can't get in my area. Can anybody give me some input on what I'll have to give up/rarity of these? I have an idea on a couple but want to be sure before looking like a fool in an ISO post....

Sexual Chocolate+Variants
    Stone 12th Anny
    Imp Stout Trooper+Variants
    Struise Black Damnation Series
    Surly Smoke
    Surly Four (I figure this one may be tough but it is a top priority of mine)

I appreciate any and all help!
  2. I have said it before, and I will say it again, you will have to trade what someone is willing to take. We just went through this with GBS, where everyone was saying people were asking too much, but if someone was willing to give, then was it really a bad trade? Nope. What is the other list (your haves), maybe we can try to pair things up to give you an idea...
  3. Regarding Imperial Stout Trooper, it shouldn't take much. I actually saw some leftover on the shelves pretty recently. I traded one pretty recently for a BA Naked Evil. Any limited, desirable local should have a good shot at it. If you want an old bottle, before Lucas made them change the label, it might take a lot more.

The BA Imperial Stout Trooper was brewery only I think. I remember hearing less than stellar things about it (thin, not as good as regular). I believe I heard it might be made again, but I'm not too sure on that.
  4. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Yes, brewery only release. The issue was mostly with the carbonation. I enjoyed it a bit more than the regular, but I'm probably in the minority. FYI, this is the only variant of IST that was bottled. The other versions (coffee & cherry vanilla) were cask-only exclusives.

Last year's IST is in barrels right now. There was talk of releasing it later this month to coincide with this year's release, but that might be put off for a short bit.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  5. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I must have forgotten that beer trading was a competition to see who could best maximize the value of their trades...

OP, post an ISO:FT that you believe to be a fair offer. If you hear crickets, then you need to add a little on your end. There are still enough generous BAs around that will help you out as a new trader. I've benefited from them in my first year trading. I know I'm not a vet by any means, but I know that I prefer that beer trading operate more like a community and less like the stock market.
  6. I never said that it was a competition, just simply that no one knows the value, it's worth what someone is willing to give. I don't try to "win" or "lose" any of my trades, I just try to find beers I would love to try, and send back the same to the person I am dealing with. I am not sure why there is this culture of people thinking that just because someone is new they must be trying to rip everyone off. Not everyone here is trying to rape people for all there whales. Sometimes I am sorry I even makes posts....
  7. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

This years Surly Smoke starts to hit stores next week and of all the Surly limited offerings its the easiest to find. If you're looking for this 2012 Smoke you should be able to land it $4$ for off the shelf beers not distributed in MN. I think you should be able to land a 2011 and 2012 without much of an issue depending on what you have that wouldn't have landed in MN.