Little Rock BA Community

Discussion in 'South' started by youradhere, Nov 30, 2012.

1. youradhere

youradhere Advocate (565) Washington Feb 29, 2008 Beer Trader

It is very possible that I will be moving to Little Rock and I was wondering- what sort of BA community is down there? How are the bottleshops and breweries? And tasting groups? Thanks!

Jim

2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

From the silent response, it seems like an extra U haul full of beer might be your first priority!

3. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (235) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

4. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Aficionado (205) Arkansas Sep 11, 2008

Check out the Facebook group beer geeks of Arkansas. Also check out www.johnthebeersnob.com There is a vibrant beer scene in Little Rock.

5. actually a pretty good scene here, getting better all the time in terms of products/breweries that are avilable here.

6. youradhere

Good info guys, I look forward to exploring what LR has to offer come February!

7. EagleTalon

EagleTalon Advocate (695) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2002

"The Rock" does beer well for a southern city. You will be ok.

8. EagleTalon

EagleTalon Advocate (695) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2002

Vino's is ground zero for local craft beer.

9. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (720) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003 Beer Trader

if there is ever a group getting together for a tasting or something please let us know. transplanted Michigander in Bentonville area and willing to travel down with there with some good beers from the cellar to share with some fellow beer lovers. ventured down to LR once and had a pizza and a few beers at Vino's and really enjoyed it.

10. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Champion (800) Arkansas Sep 1, 2012 Beer Trader

I suggest you go to Diamond Bear on Saturday afternoon and take the tour and try the beers , best 2 hours on a weekend afternoon spent in a while that did not involve family. My wife and i were the only two there , not sure if the big Christmas parade had anything to do with it , but we hung out with the bartender and the tour guide , drank beer , took the tour , drank more beer and had a hell of a good time , and to top it off their beer fresh , is really really great beer

11. youradhere

Looks like ill hit that place up this Saturday!

12. youradhere

Haven't seen much of beer to speak of, ill check out Vinos later this week. I've found Maduro cigar bar today- enjoying a nice Alec Bradley with a blood orange whiskey. Mighty fine digs if I do say so!

13. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Champion (800) Arkansas Sep 1, 2012 Beer Trader

I like Vino's , we have one in Jonesboro but they only have like one of their own beers on tap here. You can try boscoes but Ive never liked their beer that much. The Flying Saucer is good for beer , you can check out ther website to see what they have on tap. Did you make it to Diamond Bear?

14. TRIPLE BOCK!!!!

15. youradhere

Alas, they are all boxed up awaiting transport down here. Soon, soon I shall unleash that beast upon the folk of LR and drink their tears of joy from experiencing that manna.

Also- no I haven't made it out to Diamond Bear- but I did pick up a sixer of their blonde from the local Wallymarché. Not bad, a little high on the sulphur but all around quaffable! Maybe next weekend ill hit up a few breweries, this weekend was dedicated to me just trying to get some sort of root system laid down.

barleywinefiend, jl28r1 and libbey like this.
  16. My faves from Diamond Bear: Two Term DIPA, Paradise Porter, and Rocktoberfest.

Colonial Bottle Shop in West Little Rock is probably the best liquor store in the area for beer. Most liquor stores around here have a weak beer selection.

As others have said, try Vino's, Boscoe's, and Flying Saucer. You can subscribe to John the Beer Snob's newsletter and get some good info too.

17. Compton25

Compton25 Savant (400) Texas Jan 25, 2011 Beer Trader

The 3rd Annual Beer Geeks of Arkansas tasting is the 26th.. "Beer Geeks of Arkansas" is the FB group

18. youradhere

Checked out the Colonial today, not a bad place at all, certainly the best selection I've seen here yet. Does anyone know if they have a list you can get on for beer alerts?

19. youradhere

No dice on finding the FB group.

20. I'm not sure, but John the Beer Snob's newsletter has alerts for new beers coming into the area.

21. youradhere

Still no dice on the bookface group, is there some sort of alias it is under? I'm at the Flying Saucer now, not a bad place, large selection but it all seems to be Euro import with some larger non-regional US brewers. Hopefully my brethren in Cascadia will hook it up with some good stuff over the next few years to keep the liver wet with.

22. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (410) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

If you are in Bentonville, there is a new brewery east of Fayetteville and Springdale. It is called Saddlebock. They produce fine beers. They are on draft at Tusk and Trotter in Bentonville. You can also taste samples and buy growlers at the brewery itself.

23. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (720) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003 Beer Trader

went down and visited Steve at Saddlebock. beers getting better all the time, really beautiful spot as well on a nice day. Core Brewing is making a pretty solid ESB down in Springdale as well. New place is supposed to open this summer in Fayetteville/springdale called Apple Blossom as well.