1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Live Oak Beers

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Wow.. in the last week I have now tasted Primus, their Hef and Pilz for the first time... they are all so good.

Awesome to see them on tap all over Houston. I've seen them at Premier Draught, Nobi Public House and Buffalo Wild Wings in Clear Lake... last three places I've bought beer at... fantastic!

Now I can't wait to try their other beers... looks like they have 4 regular and 4 seasonal.. nice.

2. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Yep, all those are great. Those along with their Roggenbier and Schwarzbier cement them as my favorite American breweries making German styles. Though Old Tree Hugger is a hell of a barleywine. I have had an Eisbock version of Primus. F@#!*^% hell that is good.

BgThang and Ford like this.
  3. Ford

I'm super impressed.. and now officially a huge fan... I will be searching out their other two regulars and the seasonal as they hit taps around Houston... or if I make it up to Austin soon.

champ103 likes this.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Old Tree Hugger is my favorite straight-up non-barrel-aged barleywine.

They made the mistake of having this at the Draught House Anniversary Party this year (2010 batch). After about the 5th pour I was about ready to fall over... with happiness!

If you get a chance, visit the brewery in Austin. It's amazing how dainty the brewery is!

mrkmrk likes this.
  5. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (160) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Whaaa? Eisbock Primus?!? That sounds mind-blowing.

mrkmrk likes this.
  6. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I was there for that one too. It was heaven in a glass.

7. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I'm glad that LO taps are showing up more and more frequently in Houston than in the past. As awesome as it is to have a LO keg on hand, it can get a bit expensive :confused:

8. jumpjet2k

jumpjet2k Aficionado (180) Texas Feb 18, 2009

Maaaaan... I want to try some EisPrimus...

The last time I went on a Live Oak tour, it really struck me that these guys just don't have any low-quality beers. Their QA standards and consistency seem to be better than many other breweries. This contributes to the their fairly limited scale of their line-up, especially considering it's a fifteen-year-old brewery.

In short, the quality of the beers that come out of that tiny, dingy, beat up old building is pretty remarkable.

mrkmrk and Ford like this.
  9. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I got to try some Liberation Ale this weekend and was really impressed.

10. TapThat

Well color me jealous.. Hopefully this is something that they do again at some point. I've heard that we can expect a few one off's this year. Dopplebock sometime in the next two months I believe

11. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I wouldn't hold my breath. This was very limited. Basically they guys at Freetail said "hey look at this, it will be gone by the end of the day." When Scott says that, you get the beer:D

12. Ford

mmm.. I love Dopplebocks...

also Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin, Tx has posted they have Live Oak Hefe on tap now.

13. Live Oak definitely makes some fantastic beer. I remember a year or two ago they had an oak aged mild that was really good. I wish some of their one off beers would reappear.

The only LO beer I've had that was a miss was their oaktoberfest last year. On at least one batch they blew the diacetyl rest and there was clearly diacetyl left in the beer.

14. Ford

I had Primus again today.. just want to reiterate.... it's great.

It does look a bit like murky ditch water...ha.... but man.. the smell and taste are amazing.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  15. TapThat

Tapping a keg of the Tree Hugger on Sunday for a little Groundhog's Day celebration. Also going to have a firkin of Liberation on hand as well.

tigrstylz and lokieman like this.
  16. TapThat

Make that Saturday actually

17. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Treehugger growlers.....?

jbeezification likes this.
  18. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

I'm currently in Dallas right now and I was so excited to see Old Tree Hugger listed on the board at Meddlesome Moth for their Barleywine event. Sadly, I was too late and Tree Hugger wasn't available anymore. I had a vintage draft of it at Whip In a couple years ago and it blew me away.

19. pwsoldier

Okay, now they're just teasing us....

[​IMG]

Cvescalante, FUNKPhD and JohnBender like this.
  20. S#&% just got real...

21. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I WANT IT NOW.

22. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

BALLS!

23. lokieman

I heard a filthy rumor about Live Oak bottles a while back...didn't buy it at the time considering their facilities. Would be nice to be able to throw up a FT: Live Oak Hefe bottles...pretty sure a lot of Texans have been dreaming about this for a long time.

24. Lutter

Wow. The hippies are actually getting their shit together.

25. Lutter

Nope. Saw the pic on their Facebook. False alarm, they are samples for their sales people filled by hand.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

26. Yeah, my brother in law bumped into the Live Oak guys when he was delivering kegs to The Draught House and they had the bottles with them. They just use those as samples for places. Nothing to get excited about!

27. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Why must you crush my dreams?

28. Lutter

BTW: ISO hand filled/labeled Live Oak Hefe bottles.

I'd totally be all like "oh, let me save 6 to try later, prospective brewery. What was your brewery called again?"

Walez, bro.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  29. Lutter

Because your dreams are frought by the deceit of hippies and the sadness of draft-only distribution.

30. pwsoldier

Hence my use of the word "teasing". :(

31. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Man those are some mighty fancy caps for sample bottles. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

Cvescalante and rainerschuhsler like this.
  32. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I got to try this at a party one of the brewers came to and brought it. Was in the words of barney stinson Legend ....wait for it.... those of you lactose intolerent......Dairy!

33. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I have a bottle of LO Roggenbier that's been in my fridge for a few months (they don't label 'em btw).

So, let's deal :D

34. Lutter

This would work only if I didn't live in Austin. :)

32oz flip tops trade well, btw.

35. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Do those have labels?

36. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

Looks like they've been getting hit with questions.

Dear Avid Ferociously Inquisitive LIve Oak Facebook Fans: Believe me, I totally understand how you might be thinking that we are suddenly (very suddenly - overnight it would seem) available to the public in bottles, especially after seeing what appear to be bottles in a couple of photos posted here. Well, guess what? We are NOT AVAILABLE in bottles! But, you say, I saw bottles. Well, yes you did, but read the fine print above - "available to the public." These are bottles we painstakingly fill, one at a time by hand, in order to be able to make samples of our beers available to bars, restaurants, etc. interested in putting us ON TAP in their establishment. That is all. Now, please stop spreading rumors that we're available in bottles... Thank you. btw, we do have plans to put our beers in containers other than kegs in the not-too-distant future... more on that as things develop.

HopAG likes this.
  37. lokieman

So cans.....?

38. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Hey guys, I heard Live Oak is putting their brews in cans! You heard it here second!

According to Lokie of course, hes my source :rolleyes:

I would love to see their Hefe in cans though!

Cvescalante likes this.
  39. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

The Deep Ellum guys are working on a mobile canning truck, so that is very possible.

HopAG likes this.
  40. Lutter

Mobile... canning... truck?

That sounds promising. Must be one huge-ass truck though. :)