1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Live Oak Primus

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Having this for the first time tonight. Actually it is also the first Live Oak beer I've had. I went to Premium Draught looking to get some 512 Pecan Porter, but asked for a taste of this.. and wow.. what a fantastic beer!

Lots of Hefeweizen flavors but then something else... and I'm not sure what it is.. but I love it.

Now I really need to have their Hefe... though I like this more than any Hefe I've ever had... as it isn't so...Hefe.. if that makes sense.

Any way, this is seasonal, so get out and try it while you can. The guys at Premium Draught in Houston weren't sure if they would get another keg of this in before it's gone.

2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

On tap at Freetail, really nice.

Ford likes this.
  3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

One of my favorite fall/winter seasonals. Had it tapped at the Draughthouse a while back...so tasty.

Ford likes this.
  4. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (170) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Definitely something to look forward to every year. It really is a shame that Live Oak is draft only, no one in Texas does German style beer better IMO. Still have this on at Banger's.

Ford and lokieman like this.
  5. videofrog

videofrog Savant (490) Texas Nov 13, 2010

My favorite new beer of this year. Only other weizenbocks I've had are Vitus and Rahr's Angry Goat. I'd prefer it over those two.
    As for Hefe, I've always wondered if I just had a bad experience at a particular bar I tried it more than once. Anyone else get a banana bomb?

Ford likes this.
  6. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

I love Primus. Still one of the best weizenbocks I have had...

texasclimber, Ford and raffy313 like this.
  7. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Uh, according to my avatar.....Primus Sucks!!!! :D

Actually, Primus was the first beer I had that counted towards my first plate at the FW Saucer.

Ford likes this.
  8. Ahaley

Ahaley Aficionado (120) Texas Dec 24, 2009

I bought a whole set of plates at target for the price of 5 beers.

9. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I have no idea what this means.. but congrats!

10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You have to drink 200 beers at Flying Saucer to earn a plate there, so it was a joke about that