1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Locu Digs Deep into PBR Data: Hipsters Unphased

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Checkout this experiment by Locu, who crawled and crunched data "to get a sense of whether there is a link between PBR and our skinny-jeaned friends." They focused on the so-called homes of hipsters: Williamsburg in Brooklyn, San Francisco's Mission District and Boston using heatmaps of venues that serve Bud Light and PBR.

http://blog.locu.com/post/46247974453/locu-digs-deep-into-pbr-data-hipsters-unphased

In Brooklyn and San Francisco, Bud Light is more prevalent. Same thing with Boston, however PBR consumption patterns aren't in the places they expected.

Did we really learn anything here? What data would have been more useful?

Personally, I think a heatmap of macro and craft beer drinkers would be much more interesting and useful.

Zhiguli, regularjohn and cavedave like this.
  2. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Hipsters drunk pbr at home while blogging, not out in bars. Or at least according to this right?
    Go to Portland Oregon and see who's more prevalent, bud lite or pbr. My vote is on pbr

3. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

I'd also love to see craft beer heat maps. Maybe it would wake CT up a little bit.
    There is a great need for more establishments in Connecticut carrying craft. It's damn near embarrassing!

4. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Ashamed to admit I didn't know what a hipster is. I think their enjoyment of either of the choices LOCU examined, PBR and Bud Light, and their prevalence as preferred beverage may put the lie to the parts of below definition that say "independent thinking" and "appreciation of art" :) .

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

champ103 and JxExM like this.
  5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I am a GIS Analyst, so any geographic data like this is something I nerd out on big time, especially since this is beer related. This is definitely a neat little study, but it sounds like the data they used only looked at what bars/venues served Bud Light and/or PBR. It doesn't sound like it took any look at sales figures of each type of beer in these neighborhoods (which I assume is because that data is nearly impossible to get...at least enough data to make good use for a study like this). I would assume Bud Light is going to be on tap/bottles at least 95% or so of all places that sell beer. I'd assume that number is quite lower for PBR, even if it is a "hipster centric" location.

It would be neat to see if these same neighborhoods sold more PBR vs. Bud Light, regardless of which establishments served one or the other (or both).

Auror, StonedTrippin, JimDH and 2 others like this.
  7. Where in CT are you?

8. Explain this to me. Hispters are smart. They arent dummies so why do they drink crappy beer when they are smart enough to know what the "good beer" is? Dont they like the portray themsleves as sophisticated? So why not drink sophisicated beer then? They like their indie rock which is considered to be "intelligent music", and they dont like that dumb cock rock or metal but somehow beer doesnt apply to that same logic. PBR is like the Nickelback of beer yet they wouldnt be caught dead listening to Nickelback.

Shagator and Giovannilucano like this.
  9. all i know is hipsters drink pbr at my bar all the time... although that might be because we sell pint cans for $2 after midnight.

10. BottleCaps80

Thinking about it....a MUCH better study like this could be done fairly easily using "crowd sourced" data, like Twitter, Foursquare and Untappd "checkins" to look for people who are drinking PBR. Since these sites used geo-location, it would be fairly easy to map out and then mash all the data up into a heat map. It would be a good little side project for me to look into when I get some time...and I think I will.

11. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Craft beer heat maps are like the bacon of PBR. I've been into cartograms for a while now, I think it's really gonna take off soon, which is lame.

12. You would have to be looking at data for Gansett in Boston, not PBR.

mintjellie, brewsader and Dools9 like this.
  13. I think the hipster infatuation with PBR is the nostalgia and price. Most hipsters I know do not have real jobs and they all think they are some sort of "socalite" or "blogger". The problem is that none of them have seen a penny for their blogs. Also, most live music venues where the hipsters hang out have PBR tall boys for $2.

On the flip side, I see tons of hipsters drinking craft beer and a lot of them are very knowledgeable about it.

14. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

On this site, I'd say their alleged enthusiasm for PBR would be a demonstration of independent thinking.

When the association between PBR and "hipsters" first started circulating I drank PBR all the time for what I take to be the same reason all these "hipsters" did: because bohemians, like hipsters, have little money.

15. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

A "hipster" is mostly "someone I don't like who does/thinks/whatever stuff I don't like. Get off my lawn".

16. Maybe but Allston and Brighton are filled with Hipsters who seek out PBR.

17. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I saw a pretty detailed analysis of the PBR-hipster thing few years ago--wish I could remember where so I could refer you to the original--but if you'll put up with my faulty remembrance, here's the gist of it: PBR was a dying brand, but its owners noticed an uptick in business in a few specific markets. Portland was one of them, and they realized the beer was being drunk by bike messengers and related wannabes who took it as a sign of anti-corporate rebellion to drink a beer with absolutely no marketing campaign. They also liked it because (unlike crafts) it was cheap, and nobody else was drinking it. So PBR started using "non-marketing" methods of marketing: ie, sponsoring extreme sports events and other things that appealed to their core demographic so they'd have their beer there, but not too much in the way of banners and corporate logos. It worked. They succeded in marketing PBR as the cool, anti-corporate, non-elitist beer for hipsters.

Trouble is (I'm editorializing now, this wasn't part of the study), it's part of the very nature of hipsterism that something can only be hip for about a year, and then once "everyone" is doing it you have to move on. So the PBR-hipster link is "played," to use the parlance of our times, and now we see a lot of hipsters working hard to be the first one to find out about various small craft breweries etc. But this, too, shall pass.

18. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

A heat map of different beer brand comsumption across the US would be awesome to see wonder how hard it'd be to put something like that together.

19. Aleducated

Aleducated Zealot (90) Mississippi Mar 18, 2013

Soooo... We can confirm that PBR is consumed by cheap hipsters? Is there a graph on how much they'd spend on retro apparel vs PBR?

20. I dont see that as much. Mostly gansett, bud light and high life as the cheap beer of choice. PBR looks pretty scarce on that map too.

21. Jleo897

Jleo897 Zealot (80) Connecticut Sep 9, 2012

Anconas Wine and Liquor in Ridgefield Connecticut. Craft Beer heaven and very knowledgeable staff.

22. Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. [/quote]

My favorite part of this is the last little bit...."witty banter" WTF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA going to let hipsters in on a little secret: You're not that witty!

23. My favorite part of this is the last little bit...."witty banter" WTF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA going to let hipsters in on a little secret: You're not that witty![/quote]

My favorite was "independent thinking"

How it is "independent thinking" to look, act, drink, smell, listen to same music, etc. . . just like each other, throughout every major and minor metro area in the country?

Seems like conformity runs the deepest among those who hold themselves out as independent. . .

mh007 and zach60614 like this.
  24. Sounds like "Pabst Unsold" by Rob Walker (he had a similar version published in the NY Times Magazine - as noted)

25. I'd say Narragansett is becoming much more prevalent as the cheapo beer of choice for hipsters in comparison to PBR. I've seen it for less than 2 bucks a draft/tall boy in some area dives.

26. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I think the hipsters have moved onto knob jobbing Pliny. At least it's a much better beer than PBR.

27. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I've never heard any indie rock and thought, "Man, this is intelligent." :eek: But that's just one man's opinion on the subject.

28. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

In the arty and semi-student district of Columbus hipsters drink PBR all the time. My favorite is when they skip a half price happy hour at a bar with fifty craft taps and they still drink their PBR tallboy.

Imo for them it's all about image. A pint of beer could be Bud, Stella, Prima Pils, or a local Pale Ale. But by drinking from a can you can ensure the whole room knows what you're consuming.

The newest trend I've been seeing though since we got Oscar Blues is the hipsters drinking Dales Pale Ale from a can - one time even when the bar had arguably the best taplist in the state with nearly twenty amazing hoppy beers ranging from Stone Enjoy By and Ruination, Bodhi, Head Hunter, Sculpin, Nugget Nectar,etc.

29. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Perhaps the premise "Hipsters are smart" is false.

mh007 likes this.
  30. Cuz man, it's like not cool to drink what's cool so you gotta drink what's not cool and that makes you cool. And being cool is like totally not cool.

31. Because they're unique just like everyone else.

32. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

What is this weird infatuation with decrying hipsterdom?

Anyway, this could have been done in a much more interesting way. To focus it on hipsters is awkward.

33. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I've always thought hipsters were kind of contradicting themselves without realizing it. They so want to be "counterculture" and "unique" and "fighting the man," but they all just conform to their own stereotype. The whole hipster look, fashion, attitude, music scene, and PBR-drinking is as predictable as a stereotypical prep wearing Hollister (or insert any other stereotypical group of people doing something predictable). It's like they're trying to fight human nature by being the only one that's into something way before it's cool or being independent or dressing differently or supposedly being more intellectual than the masses. But they all end up just looking the same, acting the same, doing the same stuff, wearing the same stuff. PBR is one of those props. It's like it's an accessory. "Look at me, I'm so hipster, I drink PBR and have at least three Apple products on me at all times!" Because that's what humans do, they strive to conform to a group.

And because PBR is cheap, and as has already been stated, bloggers don't make a lot of money.

From my perspective and experience, most hipsters look, sound, and act like idiots. And it's not that I just "don't get it."

M1k3y and Dools9 like this.
  34. No, that’s wrong! A hipster is someone I don’t like who likes the same stuff I like!

stayclean likes this.
  35. The problem is that there are just not enough Untappd users for this approach to provide enough data. Say a bar gets 10 checkins in a day, four drinking Bud Light, five drink PBR and one drinks SNPA. What’s that compared with the 300 other customers who never check in what they’re drinking?

36. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I wonder what the next "hipster" beer will be...my vote is Colt .45 malt liquor.

37. As some one who would be readily labeled as a "hipster", I think PBD is pretty crappy. Granted, back in a day, there had been a few times when I'm out with some friends, typically at a dive bar, where I ordered one. (Regretfully.) Still, it's better than Coors, Miller, or Bud. Just barely.

It was mostly a matter of cost. (Even though I would end up wishing I "splurged" and ordered at least a Yuengling or something.)

What I find troubling is that, according to that article, some places are charging $18 for a Bud-Fucking-Light.
    [​IMG]

38. BottleCaps80

Anything over $6 for a draw or bottle of Bud Light is mind-blowing!

39. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

People like to feel about themselves by otherizing strangers I guess. :p

Also, if "hipsters" all think alike, and everyone in this thread appears to be parroting each other..... does that mean.... BA is full of hipsters??

devlishdamsel likes this.
  40. I can attest that. Rolling rock seems like the 2 seed.

Personally I prefer high life, and bikes that aren't fixed gear.