1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

London Bottle Shopping

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CaptainZingo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I'm going to be in London for work in a couple weeks and I have a Sunday to myself. (I'm from PA)

Are there any must-haves that I can't get in the states that I should stuff my luggage with for the return trip? Will the bottle shops be open on Sunday?

Cheers!
  2. Kernel on a Saturday is what you want
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  3. Yeah unfortunately I don't hit the ground until late Saturday night, and I'm back home on Friday.
  4. Not too sure about Sunday opening hours for bottle shops.
    Kris Wines in Camden Town has a good selection, best to give him a call in advance to check his opening hours.
    394 York Way London, Greater London N7 9LW. Telephone number is 02076074871.
  5. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

There are roughly a dozen same or very similar threads/questions existing on this forum already. You should try a search for "london"

Of course the UK BAs will be just as accommodating and patient as they always are and they will eventually give you a few pointers, but pretty much what you are looking for is already out there. Give that a shot.
  6. Yes thanks much. It seems like Kris Wines may be the ticket for Sunday. If Yelp is to be believed anyway, but I will give them a ring. The other shops mentioned look to be closed.

As to what to pick up, Kernel sounds popular. Aside from that, I guess I'll just look for locals that I don't recognize, or maybe a Belgian or two.

Of course while I'm there I get to the pubs where I can for real ales. Unfortunately while I'm working my boss prefers cocktail lounges or the hotel bar which is ironically American themed and my only choice is Anchor Steam.
  7. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I went to Kris Wines (which hilariously looks like any other off-license :D) and Drink of Fulham. Both nice, but not fantastic. Then again, London's only just on the up-and-coming craft and real ale-wise, they have some serious catching up to do with pretty much the rest of the country, or so I hear :p
  8. Hilariously? My favourite (and best near me) bottle shop is called Discount Supermarket. It looks like a run down, rubbisher version of a corner shop. Until you get inside...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i never even took a pic of the rest (the bit that i've worked out is where they seem to put the "craft" stuff (Mikeller, Kernel, Magic Rock etc)
    jazzyjeff13 and CaptainZingo like this.
  9. Lucky - that's an impressive selection. Your pusher must be turning a profit ;)
  10. That blows - try and persuade the boss to venture out and sample some traditional UK brews....

It sounds like you'll be in the hotel for almost a week. You could take a look at an online shop like Beers of Europe and see if anything takes your fancy, then have an order delivered to the hotel.....
  11. It's an old Indian man with an incredibly broad Welsh accent, and yes he probably does, he sells everything by the bottle/can, so even the alcoholics get catered for with Oranjeboom 8.5%

Also some very cool glassware.
  12. That's awesome.