1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

long-term storage of brett yeast/starters

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by atomeyes, Feb 25, 2013.

1. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

Kind of discussed this a while ago, but I just wanted to hash it out so I (and others) would be clear.

I made a brett starter. i'm up to 2 litres. i want to keep this yeast around for a while.

if it was regular yeast, i'd cold crash it, decant, and then chill the yeast.

for brett, i'm just going to leave it in a coolish place in my basement with an airlock on it. i assume that I can leave it like that - without feeding the starter - indefinitely (let's say: for 1 year)?
  2. ShawDeuce22

ShawDeuce22 Member

I have been keeping mine in the same area that my fermenting carboys are in. I wish there was a little more traffic on this topic becuse I would like to hear some information one way or the other. All I know is that the fridge isn't the best place for long term storage...Chad told me so.
  3. LeeryLeprechaun

LeeryLeprechaun Member

The brewing science (www.brewingscience.com) recommends cold storage while periodically feeding the yeast. You just have to decant the extra liquid before you top them back up. This is what it says on their site

""feed" the yeast with sterile, concentrated wort. Then, simply store the slurry at 34°F/1°C, until needed, for up to 2 weeks. Treatment can be repeated innumerably."

This is the method that I use and it works great. You speed up the yeast's metabolism if you keep them warm which is going to to deplete their energy reserves faster. If you keep them cold you are going to slow down their metabolism and be able to keep them healthier for a longer period of time. You also have to keep in mind that the faster they are growing the more likely a mutation will occur, which is yet another good reason to store them cold.
  4. Schnibbz

Schnibbz Member

I'll have to re-listen to the BN show that Chad was on, but I'm pretty sure he recommended cellar temp storage with periodic feeding. That is how I have been maintaining my cultures with good success.
  5. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

again, this is a quote attributed to care/storage of sacch, not brett.

i assume that we're playing under different rules when brett's used
  6. od_sf

od_sf Member

I'd love to find out what others are doing too. I've been cultivating a "house" yeast that's from dregs of Orval and Stillwater Table Beer (which uses 3 strains: brux, claussenii, and a strain from Crooked Stave). I've been keeping the starter at 1 liter and decant and feed it new 1.030 wort every 4 weeks or so. Keeping it at room temp with an airlock and it's been doing ok for a few months now.