1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking down on beers based on price.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Dec 20, 2012.

1. I asked a similar question earlier. Does anyone look down on a cheaper beer? For example where I'm at a Zwtiec Baltic Porter is $2.49 and I think it's really good while I paid over $20 for a Samiclaus and thought it was awful. Thoughts? Opinions?

jlenik and AxesandAnchors like this.
  2. Resuin

Resuin Champion (890) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

The cheaper the better. Unfortunately, good beers generally cost more to make, and thus purchase. There's a correlation between price and quality, but its definitely not always the case that a more expensive beer is better. Everyone's taste is different, after all.

WassailWilly likes this.
  3. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

The price of a beer doesn't always reflect it's quality. There are a lot of expensive beers that aren't any better, or only marginally so, than sub $3 beers from Founders, Bells, SN, Smuttynose, etc.

dennis3951 and RochefortChris like this.
  4. I started to drink old forge IPA......was $9.99 but just went to $10.99 a 6 pack for 16oz cans. Very mango and fruity. I have been drinking it for a month or so. Its local and I passed by the pale ale(still $9.99) for months because of the cans and thinking it cant be good for the price. The IPA us my new go to.

Try it if you can.

Enjoy

firecrotch23 likes this.
  5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I have to constantly fall back on my degrees in Finance and Economics to remind me that those $3 a beer 6 packs are superior to those $9 bombers.

6. Finding a beer at the 'cheap' price range that really tickles one's toes can be difficult, and you probably have to drink a lot that you don't find special. Therefore, you should most definitely look up to those beers and brewers, not down on them.

On the cheap side I like Baltika 6, under 2 bucks, and Vvviiitttuuusss!!! is about $2.50 (which is insane for the quality, come to think about it).

Great values also make me :D:D:D, even when they're not cheap (Rodenbach Grand Cru, f'rexample).

7. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Lagunitas!

ggfunk, pointyskull, studad and 6 others like this.
  8. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

That's a great example. I've become a cheapskate lately, but still find RGC incredible for $10.49 a bomber.

9. I pay $8.99, but would still pay that price gladly <...don't tell my local store...>

davey101 likes this.
  10. I see bombers of Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Ayinger Celebrator and Spaten Optimator for $2.49, and many more German beers for under or around $3 per bomber. I've also seen a 750 ml Pranqster for $5.99. They are all fantastic beers, and the value is unbelievable at those prices. As long as the beer tastes good (Franziskaner Hefe and Pranqster are two of my favorite beers) a low price tag can only be a great thing.

jcb7472 likes this.
  11. I look down on the "new to the game" brewers who charge $8+ for a bomber of their beer.

12. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I don't think anything really beats Weihenstephaner Hefe for $2.49 or Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for $4.50.
    But to answer your question, yes. Sometimes I will look past a beer because the price point is too low.

13. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I think I am more apt to discredit a beer based on inferior labels, not that it is always true, far from it, but lack of attention paid to a beers presentation makes me rather dubious of the time spent on its brewing.

14. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Hop Stoopid is great for the price as well as the Black Boss Porter. The Weiyerbacher (butchered that spelling) Tiny was great at 5.99...not at 9.99...Sometimes I am surprised at the great value for some of the brews around here.

15. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I'm the first to try cheap craft beers and I'm glad for it, as I drink loads of great beer for cheap, and I don't care what others have to say about those beers.

damnitsjeff likes this.
  16. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

ill drink anything that gets a 3 or above on this site :)

Although, id rather grab a nice 4 or 6 pack for the $10 range instead of $20 a bomber. But sometimes i will splurge.

17. Usually if I can check BA and see the score is good and the beer is cheap I will surly pick up up the newest offering. I never look down a beer for being so cheap hell I drink this stuff by the case:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/150/2089

Much better than most BMC swill!

18. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I'd like to point out once again that if Lagunitas Hop Stoopid were a sixer, at that price, it would 15 bucks...not what I would call cheap.

19. Tiny: $5.99 buy them all!
    Tiny: $9.99 I would still buy them

BTW I live in PA and seen this for $7.99 and find it cheap and amazing for the quality and ABV. For 6 bucks I would buy a case... if people around here even had em...

20. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

11.3% - they raised the price from 5.99 to 6.99 now 8.99 - can get them whenever if you want some lol. heading to upstate NY in the summer and will drop some of for ya if you want em. The 16oz black boss's are 2.50 as well. Can't beat the price on a lotta stuff round here.

21. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

If they did happen to make 6 packs one day, it would likely only be $9.99 which is in line with almost ALL of their beers. I rarely ever find it hard to pull the trigger on a $9.99 sixer.

22. Stone IRS is $5.99/bomber, which I think is about as good of a deal as can be found from a pure value perspective.

mtalley999 likes this.
  23. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

I am guilty of this.

24. I personally dont let the cheap price detur me. My thought process is that I would rather spend a small amount to find out if I liked a beer or not then a lot. I found one of my favorite all time porters call Grand because they had it for $2.29 for a 16.9oz. I really try not to let things like price, BA rating or anything effect my thought on the beer.

25. Cheap beer is great. If you hate it, you don't feel like an asshat pouring it down the drain.

2beerdogs and WassailWilly like this.
  26. Idk what your talking about I still have a Giant Eagle around me that has the $7.99 a bottle. They are not flying off the shelf since most people come in for Samuel Adams or Yings.

Ow and I had my first Black boss was $2.59 and I don't know if I would seek it out again. Fruity and roasty yet nothing to be excited about

27. How big was that Samiclaus? I'm pretty sure you got ripped off.

I never blind buy. I look up the reviews on almost every beer I think about buying.

28. There are special edition ones that come in 750 ml bottles. I really hope that's what he bought for that price.

29. That'd be fucked if it wasn't.

30. It was. I was very annoyed when I found the smaller bottles at another store not long after

31. I've learned not to do that. Reviews are so biased and reflect one's own personal taste for the beer....for the most part anyway. That's one thing I find fun about beer is blind buying. I've found so many things I like that way. It has backfired like the Samiclaus though.

LeRose and Jstark5150 like this.
  32. Those are not bombers. Bombers are 22 oz. Those German beers come in 16.9 oz bottles (except, I think, Celebrator only comes in 11.2 oz bottles).

33. I did not let $2.89CDN deter me from buying bottle of Peche Mortel in Montreal :eek:

jmgrub likes this.
  34. That's why I read 5-10 reviews before I decide to buy a beer. I try to average them out, flavor wise.

35. Guilty of that as well, unless I know something about the beer/brewery before hand.

36. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Saint Arnold Endeavour was 8.99 a bomber earlier this year now I can get it for 5.99 all day. And I do. Great fucking beer.

ShameAndFailure likes this.
  37. Ah, yeah you're right. That's still a great deal though. So many of those German beers you can get for really cheap and most are above average quality.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  38. I need to start looking down,or looking away, from high priced beers. I just can't help myself though!

itsthepleats likes this.
  39. I think it has more to do with mass produced vs. small-batch than it does price. Though Zwyiec Porter is a fucking gem. I wish it popped up on shelves more often.

40. Value in craft beer is usually there if you look hard enough, like the Porter you mention - ie. $2.99 for Weihenstephan Vitus 16.9 oz. Not bad for a world class beer.

Blueribbon666 and RochefortChris like this.