Looking down on beers based on price.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Price prohibits me from trying some beers ala Dogfish head . Its not that I wouldnt want to try em just not going to throw my $$$s at something that may or may not be agreeable.
    I wholeheartedly agree about Samiclaus also tried twice just to be sure and yup sucked both times.. Little bottles tho !!

2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Everyone loves value for their money, beer is no different.

3. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I actually try to grab a cheap new brew everytime out. You never know when you might happen upon the next big thing and I haven't had to many bad beers doing it, just some underwhelming ones.

4. Some of my favorite beers/purchases are:
    Ipswich Oatmeal Stout 7.49 per 6 Pack
    SN Celebration 12.99$ per 12 pack.
    Narrangansett Porter/Summer Ale 7.99 for 6 Pack of Tall Boys.
    Brooklyn BCS 7.99$ per 4 pack.
    Smuttynose IPA 12.99$ per 12 pack.
    And 18 packs of Highlife for 10.99

5. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, but price can be a factor in judging the quality of a beer before you even buy it. I'm not talking extreme mark-ups like 30 dollars for a bomber of Bourbon County, but look at it this way:

Cheap supermarket lager can be made on the cheap or on the really cheap. In the category "chug it back fast, serve ice cold" there's 30-cent stuff that I prefer over 80-cent stuff. Most beer in supermarkets is made using the cheapest ingredients possible, and that's not what craft is about.

The whole definition of craft is not letting cost or expenses get in the way of producing quality. The real craft brewer does not compromise: you'll pay more for a beer I'm happy to let you drink. Thick imperial stouts with lots of expensive additives like Blue Mountain Coffee or Naga Chillis are gonna be vastly more expensive to produce, as are triple dry-hopped IPAs. The ingredients for good beer don't come cheap.

Then of course we haven't brought the simple economic question of supply and demand into the equasion. The reason why The Bruery or Goose Island charge 30 dollars for a bottle is because they can. Of course, there are high production costs, but marketing research that was without a doubt expertly conducted has shown that people are more than willing to pay that much for it.

The goal of any company is to make a profit, people that look at craft as an art where no profits should be made are hypocrites. The most iconic paintings in the world were made on commission, to put food on the artist's table. I don't see why a brewery can't make big bucks off great beer without compromising their integrity.

6. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

My innate cheapness forced me to pass on a beer I've been wanting to try since it hit this market. 11.99 for DFH India Brown Ale! Not an astronomical price, but bought a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye for 8.99 instead. I figured that I'll like the Hop Rod better.

7. 451beer

451beer Aficionado (145) Ohio Jun 21, 2011

Zombie dust which is rated 100 is $35 a case. That's about 1.40 a beer. Cheap craft beer can be on top and zd is proof of that.

8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Sink the Bismark & Tactical Nuclear Penguin. I look down on those beers

Cheers!

9. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I scoff @ Leinenkugel's price point every time I pass it on the shelves. OVERPRICED for what it is & against the competition in the same price range, just can't get with it, against the others.

10. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I look down on beers that are overpriced.

Dannywhitewash likes this.
  11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Zweic and Black Boss Porters are both very good in my opinion. Grand Imperial not so much. That's another cheap Polish porter that you don't see as often as the former two.

12. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I tend to look at things from the contrarian point of view.

I love those popular overpriced Bombers and overpriced whales on the shelves. I also love the overpriced four/six packs from over-hyped breweries.

As long as these exist; there will always be a ready supply of $ 9.99 Celebrator, $ 7.99 Old Rasputin, $ 3.99 Aventinus, $ 2.69 Vitus, $ 8.99 Founders, $ 8.99 Lagunitas, etc., for my ready consumption!

13. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I totally agree about the Zywiec porter! I love that stuff.

Mikkeller beers tend to be overly expensive but I've pulled the trigger on a few and was pleasantly surprised. Particularly Monk's Brew aged in red wine barrels and raspberries.

14. $15 for a 12er of SN Torpedo ( $1.25 a bottle). An IPA that is as good as it gets IMHO.

15. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (340) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

I look down on BA Old Rasputin considering the price of the base beer.

I'll admit, if I see a bottle in the high $ range that I'm not familiar with, I'll look it up on BA. Low price, not so much.

16. I buy Zywiec all the time! It's killer! Brooklyn BCS and Monster for $7.99/4pack is a steal as well! Smuttynose bombers @$5.99... love 'em all!

17. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

I look up on great beers that are inexpensive;)

rjniles likes this.
  18. The cheapest beer in Australia doesn't come from Australia, or from England or even the USA.

It comes from Germany.

19. I had a Double Bastard at 6.99. The alc % and amazing quality make that a deal in my book. Went back and got 3 more! Also in NC Duck Rabbit 6 packs of the high gravity stuff for 11 or 12. Hoppy Bunny or wee heavy.. Yum.