1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for a 2010 Hunahpu - are they out there?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Ohsaycanyoubeer, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Heard they were Infected? Anyone know anyone sitting on an extra?
  2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

That report is false, at least as far as the bottles I've had are concerned.

Also, the 2010 is the best Hunahpu.
  3. Well I need one to complete a vertical... and someone has to still have a case somewhere... they were still letting people walk away with cases that first year.
  4. aasher

And that first year it did hit limited distro.
  5. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Wow, this is so far removed from my opinion. I think trading for vintage Hunahpu is a complete waste. I've tried all three vintages side by side by side a couple times, and even with the extreme bottle variation in the 2012s, the 2010 was absolutely the worst.
    cavedave and AtlCarl like this.
  6. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Fresh Hunahpu's is the best Hunahpu's. Anyone sitting on bottles of 2010 still is probably hellbent on a "vertical" and it would probably take the fist of an angry god to break the compulsion to collect "verticals" so many people have.
    jbeezification and AlexFields like this.
  7. aasher

I respectfully disagree. I had a 2010 in June and a 2012 shortly after. The 2012 convinced me to never trade for Hunahpu again. I was really disappointed. There wasn't any pepper and it was far too sweet. The 2010 on the other hand was really complex and still had a touch of pepper to go with a near perfect amount of cinnamon.
  8. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (210) Florida Mar 15, 2012

I love a great 'aged hunahpu vs fresh hunahpu' debate. What do you guys think about Dark Lord?
    AlexFields likes this.
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

2-3 year old Dark Lord, fresh Hunahpu. Easy game.
  10. DanimalFL

I should have specified. What do you think about Dark Lord as a beer? Is it a cloying soy bomb or a great beer?
  11. MarkIntihar

My opinion of Dark Lord has nothing to do with my opinion of Hunahpu's, so I'm not sure why that's relevant...
    VonZipper likes this.
  12. DanimalFL

Bored as shit. Just trying to stir the pot.
  13. MarkIntihar

Lol, wrong guy for that :D

I agree the last few years of Dark Lord have been disappointing, but the last time I had the 2011 it was actually coming around pretty nicely. 2008 Dark Lord is still one of my favorite beers of all time. That said, 2011 Hunahpu's fresh was also one of my all time favorites.
  14. DanimalFL

All three years of Hunahpu taste different to me. 2012 had more chili flavor fresh than the other years prior when fresh. Fresh Hunahpu is a different beer than aged Hunahpu. I actually like it with a bit of age on it as the cinnamon and chilis are more in the background. To me the 2011 is drinking great right now. Its all subjective though.
    maximum12 likes this.
  15. AtlCarl

AtlCarl Aficionado (125) Georgia Feb 1, 2011

To each is own here, but a group of us did a 3yr vertical in November, and the '11 was the unanimous favorite amongst the group. All of which also thought that '10 was a mess a this point. I've never had either fresh, so I can t speak to that extent. Definitely an interesting vertical to do.
  16. I just want to complete my vertical people! I don't care if it tastes like rat's piss as long as I have the set. Yes, I am a little bit OCD.
  17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I'm in that same boat. I tried 2012 Hunahpu for the first time this past spring and was really underwhelmed. Especially since non-BA Abraxas is frankly a better beer and less scarce.

Not to start anything, but I've also been recently discouraged by CCB's BA program to the point I've given up trading for their beers. It blows my mind that the ratings on these beers hover in the 4.4 - 4.5 range.

Now Peg's on the other hand is totally legit, RareR DOS was one of those few BA Imperial Stouts that lived up to the hype!
  18. aasher

Abraxas is great and really similar to the original Hunahpu. I'm looking very forward to more beers from Perennial.
  19. danwho

danwho Savant (385) California Feb 18, 2010

How can I tell what year mine is? It may be a '10, but I don't see any date.
  20. If it doesn't have a date then it is a '10.... I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  21. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

11 and 12 had dates on them, don't think 10 had a date on it.
  22. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I think it goes well with rice, eggs, and onions.
  23. danwho

danwho Savant (385) California Feb 18, 2010

It looks like mine is a '10, if you want it for your vert, BM me.
  24. TheBronze

TheBronze Savant (320) Washington Apr 16, 2009

I saw this in another thread and via Google. '11's distinguishing feature is a red ribbon around the CCB logo. So if yours has no ribbon and no date, it just might be a '10.
  25. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

Have you had Apple Brandy Huna?? IMO it's one of the best beers made!!
    Stouttyme and CarolinaKevin like this.
  26. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I have a 2010 bottle. Randomly.
  27. Had 2010 at a tasting Saturday and I have to say it was a great beer. Hints of vanilla and cinnamon, pepper must have fallen off because it was barely there. I have not had it fresh but thought this beer was great
  28. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

29. It's not infected, had one recently and it was amazing, and have one left.

[​IMG]