Looking For a Bottle shop in Modesto or Surrounding Area

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by No1Smitty, Jan 28, 2013.

1. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (420) California Nov 7, 2011 Verified

I am wondering if I am missing a great bottle shop within my town. I usually have to harvest my finds at bevmo in town. Or if I can drive to Tracy to Pete's or Perry's in Livermore. What something more sustainable. Can anyone give me a tip ?

2. I'm sure you already figured this out but Stanislaus County might have the worst beer distribution in the state. I usually have to go with BevMo for the standards and wait for a Bay Area trip to hit Perry's or Pete's. You've also probably realized that Perry's usually runs a bit more expensive while Pete's doesn't seem to have much of a markup (the exception here would be Pliny which seems to be consistent at both places). I have had some luck from time to time at Liquor Locker on Standiford and Prescott. Not a crazy selection but they do get some one-offs. For instance they got a couple cases of the Ruination 10th Anniversary. I think they have Lagunitas Sucks there right now but I didn't see any Bigfoot when I was in last Thur.

3. No1Smitty

Hey Shackman. That's what I had kinda figured. I really have just those spots ,but was wondering if I was missing something. I can't justify driving 60 plus miles to maybe get one bottle of a rare if at all. If it was for sure that would be a different story. :)

Finding a anything close to Modesto is like spinning my wheels. Lol !

4. Well lately it has been hard to find a better deal then growlers at Dust Bowl in Turlock. They're actually doing some exciting things there and with most beers only available at the brewery I find myself making growler runs more and more. Food is very good, too.

5. No1Smitty

Shh ! We'll keep dustbowl our little secret. All these other areas have theirs ;)

6. In Tracy and Livermore we already know about Dust Bowl. And I personally love it. But if there's ever anything rare that I can get multiples of and you can't make the drive, I have no problem muling for you if I can grab it. I'm in Livermore for work but live in Tracy. That way you will only have to make the drive if its a certainty that you get the bottle.

No1Smitty likes this.
  7. No1Smitty

That is awesome Johnny !

8. Had I known before that you were close I would've got you a BA Bigfoot at cost. Unfortunately the ones I have are all accounted for already. :/

9. No1Smitty

Np. I have got some goodies coming from Michigan today. Maybe we could trade something else? I'll let you know.

10. You do bottle shares? I'm always up for sharing my bottles with others.

11. No1Smitty

Are you talking about a group getting together or just a couple people? I'm down, just not sure how its done in the area.

12. Either or. I've never seen a tasting in the Central Valley. But if we can set something up, it'd be awesome

13. No1Smitty

No doubt.

14. Alincider

Alincider Aspirant (25) Jan 29, 2013

Does anyone know of a brew supply store near Lancaster? I have been searching the web and the nearest I can find is Santa Clarita. I'm finding it hard to believe that the Antelope Valley or Acton doesn't have one.

15. Like home brewing?

16. sloelco

sloelco Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

Hey guys,

Used to live in Modesto and still am in town often. I found Sprouts Market at Briggsmore and McHenry to have a pretty good selection. Not mind blowing and might be pretty similar to Bevmo though.

17. No1Smitty

Sprouts is decent for the town. Bevmo definitely has more though. What are your options like now?

18. sloelco

sloelco Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

I live about 45 minutes east of Fresno in Oakhurst. Really limited options here, basically one decent shop. Getting the Boulevard beers and Lagunitas Sucks were pretty suprising.

Fresno has a 3 beer spots with Eureka Burger, The Yardhouse, and Spokeasy.

What keeps me sane is that I drive all over for work. I cover a territory from Stockton to Bakersfield including the foothills. I also frequently go to Mammoth and other destinations on the 395 corridor and over to Monterrey and San Luis Obispo. it allows me to seek out some good finds.

I frequently pick up beers from Kern River, Alesmith, Hair of the Dog and some others. I'd be interested in a bottle share if one comes together.

19. Alincider

Alincider Aspirant (25) Jan 29, 2013

Yes, for home brew. I have been searching the net and all I can find is a place in Santa Clarita. Hoping for a place closer to home. Maybe someone can recommend and online store that is close by so shipping will be quick and cheap.

20. I think there was another topic in this specific forum but there's a shop opening soon in Lancaster for homebrew. Don't know the name but Im sure I read it on this forum

21. No1Smitty

There is a Modesto home brew "store". I drove by it and frankly it is in one of the worst parts of town. And ran out of an apartment complex? Needless to say I kept driving.

22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

They are home brewing like Walter and Jesse.

23. If you mean barley and wine it's actually pretty good homebrew shop. Little more expensive than more beer, but you are not paying for shipping.

24. No1Smitty

No Trust me it's not barley and wine. It is in an apartment complex off of Carver. Called Modesto home brew

25. No1Smitty

That is a homemade sign that they must of painted. I don't have a clue as to where to go. And don't feel like going and knocking on people's doors to see if they are the brewstore.