1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for a place to get a beer in Baltimore

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by JaymoNJ, Mar 8, 2013.

1. JaymoNJ

JaymoNJ Aspirant (45) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

Hey folks Ill be on Baltimore this weekend, Taking my daughter to the aquarium. Any recs on a place to eat (kid friendly) that also has a quality Craft beer selection.

Also any beers that I should bring home to NJ that I normally wouldn't be able to get...

Thanks

2. Max's Taphouse. One of the best beer bars in the Country. "Quality" doesn't even begin to describe that place.

I have seen families eat there before. They have tables and such, and solid food.

bluewolf17 likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

If I recall correctly, I don't think they want children there after a certain hour. If memory serves, I think it's around 5:00. For that matter, that might only be during the week.

It's been a while now, but I seem to recall someone stopping by last sumer with his family (including kids) on a Saturday afternoon during the week, and the doorman telling him that he couldn't come in with the kids. To be on the safe side, I would recommend that the OP contact Max's to verify the current policy. Also, while I'm a big fan of Max's, even if it were allowed, I would not want to bring my children into Max' on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Places that I think are more kid friendly, but also have a good craft beer list, are the Alewife, Hudson St. Stackhouse and Mahaffey's. All three places have dining room areas that are pretty much separate from the bar area (unlike Max's), which might explain why they are more welcoming to children. Alewife would probably be my number one choice, as it's fairly close to the inner harbor, they have a great beer selection, and the dining area is nicely appointed.

4. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Alewife I agree is probably the better suggestion in this case.

5. I Agree with John. My wife won't even let's bring the kids there on a Tuesday for lunch. I've been meaning to ask them, but i definitely would not bring them after happy hour on a fri or sat.

6. John_M

Pratt Street is a good recommendation, but the guest beer selection tends to be no better than so-so. The focus is on Oliver Brewing beers at PSAH (understandable, as they're brewed at PSAH), which I think are good, but not spectacularly so (the brewer makes generally british style ales). If memorry serves, they also usually have a handful of guest beers on tap, but that includes things like Stella, Yuengling, Guinness, etc.

On the other hand, the OP will encounter a much more pub-like atmosphere and menu at PSAH, and prices will be cheaper as well. So that's an attraction.

7. Haha looks like I gave some shitty info.

Still, Max's rocks!

8. p90beer

p90beer Aficionado (125) Delaware Jan 10, 2011

There is a really good place a little outside of town with great food in Columbia, Md called Victoria Gastropub - outstanding food and real good craft lineup
    http://victoriagastropub.com/

9. John_M

It's also a good half hour drive from the inner harbor, and Victoria's exhorbitant prices are legendary.

10. John_M

True Dat!!! (About Max's rocking!)

11. Max's is amazing if you're going more for the brew. Alehouse is better for a family setting (still a great beer selection). You can't go wrong with any one the place suggested above.

12. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I want to go back to Max's!

13. 2dogbrew

2dogbrew Savant (420) Virginia Mar 2, 2009

Alewife is a good choice

14. i would strongly recommend heavy seas ale house, i went few weeks ago stellar service and great time, ask for Brad

15. John_M

Remind me again what the craft options are there (other than heavy seas stuff).

The problem I have with the alehouse (other than the high prices), is that you can find Heavy Seas beer with little effort all over town, and invariably for less money than what you'll pay at the alehouse. Also, if you have a car, finding parking around that part of town is completely miserable.

16. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

This place is nice. The prices are high, true, but the beer list is pretty amazing. I would call this a high end night out with kids. But you may not get to try the best on the list if you're driving them--take a cab.

17. John_M

I agree Michael, but the selection at Victoria's, good as it is, won't be any better than what the OP can find closer to the Aquarium. Also, unless you're familiar with the area, it can be a bit tricky getting to Victoria's from the inner harbor area of town.

I don't know if you've been to Alewife, but it's actually coparable to Victoria's in many ways. Like Victoria's, the menu is a bit more upscale than your typical alehouse, and their beer selection is at least as good as what you can find at Victoria's (40 beer taplist, with nothing but craft and imports on draft). While Alewife is by no means cheap, their prices are still better than what you'll encounter at Victoria's.

If the OP was going to be out in Howard County, then I would certainly recommend Victoria's to him, if he wanted to go to a somewhat upscale restuarant that had an excellent beer selection (otherwise, I might recommend Frisco's or T'Bonz, if the OP wanted to go someplace a bit more informal, but still wanted an excellent beer selection). Given that he's going to be in the Inner Harbor area, I really don't think he'd be happy driving over to the gastropub, just so he can pay Howard County prices for good food and drink.

18. JaymoNJ

JaymoNJ Aspirant (45) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

Ended up having the wife and her girlfriend take my daughter to a place on the waterfront while my buddy and I hit up Max's for a couple of beers. Couldn't pass up some nugget nectar on tap!! Thanks for the suggestions I can't wait to go back.

19. John_M

Good decision. I was there myself on Sunday, and couldn't agree more. Fresh NN and FW 16th anniversary on tap (as well as the Bruery Humulus Lager). Hard to beat that.

20. well played! ;)

alysmith4 likes this.