1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for a refreshing, fruity IPA/DIPA for summer. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Two Hearted
    Racer 5
    Jai Alai

dpjosuns likes this.
  2. Clown Shoes Galactica.

3. odells Myrcenary or IPA
    Tallgrass Ethos

4. Sweetwater IPA ....
    That's my go to

5. shawnp

shawnp Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Flower Power.

6. ScottK22

ScottK22 Savant (380) New York Dec 30, 2010

7. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

I'd have to say flower power. So delicious. I actually got 2 consecutive sixtels of it earlier this year and I literally had never repeated a sixtel before that.

DrStiffington likes this.
  8. Flying dog citra DIPA is the like drinking a juicy peach IPA. Pretty much any IPA with mostly citra and galaxy hops with be more fruity, easy drinking less bitter IPA.

9. Meh. Overly bitter and mildy fruity.

10. ^^^^this^^^^

11. have you traded for that, or can you actually find it around the city right now?

12. Drive up to Mass and get your hands on some Wormtown Be Hoppy.

13. Hoptimum, and abcs

14. GA_SIPPER

GA_SIPPER Aficionado (140) Georgia Feb 24, 2013

Green Flash: West Coast IPA, Imperial, and maybe even Palate Wrecker (if you like high ibu/abv)
    Two Hearted is good but maybe more floral than fruity (IMO).
    Hop Stoopid

15. Crymopipe494

Crymopipe494 Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 12, 2012

Two Hearted is perfect!

Doug_Render likes this.
  16. Crymopipe494

Crymopipe494 Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 12, 2012

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's and All Day IPA are easy to drink on a hot day!

Doug_Render likes this.
  17. Try clown shoes galactica brewed in Ipswich mass. Galaxy hops are tropical as a storm. Or try Maine beer co lunch.

Doug_Render likes this.
  18. PALMEJ1

PALMEJ1 Savant (340) Alabama Dec 8, 2008

Too bad you can't get Sweetwater IPA. At only 6.2% and super fruity it would be perfect.

19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I have tried very hard to like this beer but I just can't get into it, and I typically really like Troegs' stuff.

20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Caldera is nice, also a canned brew, tasty as hell and relatively low in ABV for an IPA. Jai Alai too, has to be fresh though. Fits the adjective juicy quite nicely.

21. Jewmagic151

Jewmagic151 Aficionado (115) Kansas May 31, 2013

Raging bitch by flying dog!

22. Had my very first tonight courtesy of a friend from Hershey. Solid

23. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

Not a fan of Gandhi? I'd drink that everyday without hesitation. To each his own.

Try G'Knight. Maybe even Deviant Dales. Both scream juicy and IMO both tasted better than the one NN I had the "pleasure" to drink a few months ago.

24. Roguer

Roguer Champion (985) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

Might I suggest Hoptimum? You can easily get it in CT (and everywhere else), and it's quite juicy and fruity. You won't avoid the grapefruit hop bomb effect entirely, but for an intensely hopped DIPA, it's extremely sweet and balanced.

25. For refreshing DIPA, Double Trouble is my favorite. Scary how easy it goes down.

SpongeRuiner likes this.
  26. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (465) Illinois May 17, 2013

Sidekick

27. There are three really good ones I've heard of recently.

Heady Topper
    Pliny the Elder
    Double Sunshine IPA.

I think they are tough to get though.

Roguer likes this.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

any base pale + French press + 2oz citra = what you need

29. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Man, what really is "fruity"

Personally I find IPA's that are "grapefruity" (stuff like Citra hopped beers), and then "fruity" (more sweeter fruit, like juicy fruit, Two Hearted for me). I see recomendations for both to me here. BUT, that's just my definition and my tastebuds.

More Fruity by my definition is Two Hearted, Hop Devil, Flower Power, Nugget Nectar. Someone mentioned Lake Erie Monster and someone else mentioned Alchemy Hour. To me Alchemy is more grapefruity with Piney, while Moster is more Fruity with a bit of Pine. I find Furious more fruity and Abrasive more grapefruity.

30. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Was going to mention this. I should put a timer next to me when drinking this so I can limit myself to a certain number of sips every couple of minutes. It's that drinkable to me.

It's actually a touch boozy for 9.1% ABV...but in a drinkable, good way. Like how a gin & tonic is on a hot day at the beach.

Omnium likes this.
  31. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Savant (325) California Dec 21, 2010

Found a couple of bottles of Alchemy last week... I think she's seen better days given her shelf life and the bottle's "serve by" date would agree. Also snagged a fresh Lake Erie Monster which tasted fantastic.

32. Dogfish head 60 minute IPA I really loved when I was in the USA.

33. Take a ride down to Jersey and get yourself some Carton Boat Beer. You surely will not be disappointed by a delicious 4.2% session IPA. Growler fills and on tap only. Good news is its only 10$ for a 64oz fill at the brewery.

34. Am I missing a trick here? If I want to be refreshed I'll sink a couple of pints of something suitable. If I'm hot and thirsty I always go for something light and easy such as Hophead or a decent mild.I certainly don't find beers of high ABV refreshing, they put me to sleep.
    No problem with IPA, had a couple tonight. But not for thirst or to cool off, simply to enjoy and savour.Not the same thing at all. I began the evening with a mild though to deal with my thirst and refresh me :)
    Edit-just read the above post ,4.2% IPA is only just above session strength and should fit the bill reasonably well. My Hophead is 3.6% and incredible for the gravity.

35. Sculpin, Hop Wallop

36. Most of them.

37. Cool story dude.
    I happen to be able to drink imperial stouts, barleywines, and old ales any time.
    Am I breaking some rule?

38. I can drink these any time too. But not in order to feel refreshed! I don't feel more alert or energetic after a pint or two of these , I envy your metabolism.Actually, I feel quite droopy after what I've had tonight :)

Roguer and fujindemon74 like this.
  39. I also find maxing out/volume work with front/back squats over 45-70 reps every day refreshing.

40. besch64

besch64 Disciple (60) New Jersey Mar 16, 2013

Green Flash Le Freak