1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for advice - Beer Tasting order

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by maxcoinage, Feb 24, 2013.

1. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

I'm going to be hosting my first beer tasting this coming weekend and wanted to get some advice on the order to pour the brews. I'll make an attempt at what I'm thinking and if anyone has some other suggestions, please chime in.

My homebrew (Amber Ale 4.2% ABV, very low IBU)
    Revolution Cross of Gold
    Duvel
    Hopslam
    Sucaba '13
    Dark Lord '12
    Bourbon County Coffee '12

thanks!
  2. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

i think that's a pretty solid order (from mild to extreme flavors, kinda)....

i might switch the Sucuba and the DL, just to have the 2 BA beers together, an DL is almost as different from BCBS as sucuba is). Other than that they are all pretty vastly different, so it should be a roller-coaster ride for your mouth (nothing wrong with that!).
    maxcoinage likes this.
  3. What time should I come over? ;)
    maxcoinage likes this.
  4. drtth

drtth Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I'd order them by impact on the palate from the hops and dark roast malt, much as you have, but would personally swap the order of the sucaba and the hopslam since for my tastes the hop bitterness shows a bit more in the hopslam (dipa) than in an English barleywine like sucaba.

Be sure to have lots of water and unsalted crackers for between beers to cleanse the palate.
    maxcoinage likes this.