1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for beer in Austin

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by pwsoldier, Jan 21, 2013.

1. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

My wife and I will be heading up to Austin later today and I'll be on the lookout for Sputnik and VaS. Anyone know of any stores that still has these available?

2. acbe

acbe Savant (300) Texas Jul 23, 2011

Sputnik is draft only and no longer on tap as far as I know. VaS is available at every bottle shop and Specs I've been in.

3. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

You might find some Sputnik around - its just that all the kegs went out some time ago. I would call drink.well, black star, pint house pizza, and draughthouse for growler fills. Unfortunately, the one bar I'm pretty sure still has it and does growler fills, Hopfields, is closed Mondays. I had some at Bangers last week, and it's off menu so they might still have some. However, I don't think they fill growlers.

4. pwsoldier

Thanks for the tips! Probably won't have time to go pub-hopping, but Pinthouse will be our first stop. I'll bring a growler just in case.

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Pinthouse only fills THEIR growlers, and only with THEIR beer. Draught House has been pretty good about updating their Taplister lately, and its not showing on there any more. Black Star and drink.well might be your best bets, and since they're both very close to Pinthouse, it would be worth calling them both to see if they still have it.

Good luck!

6. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Yesterday DH had VaS on tap.

Also, a few days ago Violet Crown had Sputnik still.

7. BrettLS

BrettLS Disciple (50) Texas Jun 8, 2010

Neither drink.well nor Pinthouse have Sputnik.

8. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (80) Texas Jan 10, 2013

workhorse still might have sputnik. full bar, so no growler fills. near pinthouse, drink.well, draught house, and hopfields since it sounds like you're in the area.

9. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

I guess I've already been out of Austin too long. What is VaS?

Edit: Oh, Victory at Sea. Got it.

10. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Ballast Point Victory at Sea

11. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

where are you at now?

12. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Billy's still had it on tap earlier this week. No clue if it's still there.

13. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Irving.

14. JoeMohrfeld

JoeMohrfeld Zealot (80) Colorado May 5, 2010

I just wanted to clear up any confusion there may be about our growler filling policies. We will fill any growler with any beer on our tap wall (excluding nitro due to storageability of nitro beers) but if you choose to fill a growler other then ours with one of our beers we will just place a sticker on it. If you ever run into an issue or have confusion about it when at Pinthouse just let me know, I am usually always here.

Regarding Sputnik, we are out, but we do have two more kegs of victory at sea that we will continue to pour until they run out!

Cheers!
    Joe

15. pwsoldier

Thanks for the clarification, Joe! I really enjoyed Pinthouse and will definitely be back.

16. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Glad to hear that joe. I never understand places that just fill their own growlers anyway, seems like it would be alot of money not being made there.

Now i really have to make it over to pinthouse!

17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Your sister store in San Marcos might still have some Victory at Sea.

18. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Just out of curiosity, what's the purpose of this?

19. pwsoldier

They received a case after I made the Austin trip. I picked one up at Spec's RR though.

20. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Haha! I'm a dumbass, I thought this was a new thread.

21. JoeMohrfeld

JoeMohrfeld Zealot (80) Colorado May 5, 2010

Honestly we chose to do it because that was what I was used to in Colorado and at Odell, as well as what many of of the FoCo and Front Range Breweries did, and I liked it. i thought it was cool having a growler with a bunch of stickers on it from all the breweries and brewpubs I went to... instilled that drunken nostalgia from places I enjoyed! We chose to go the sticker route over not filling any growler but our own because we knew some people had a lot of growlers already and would want to continue to use their own.

The general thinking is since we don't package or have branded package off premise our growler is the only way people would know it is our beer coming out of that growler. For example, say you bring a growler full of our beer to a friends place/party/gathering and they love it or hate (but hopefully love it :) ) at least the people who tried it know where it came from.

Cheers!
    Joe

mattisloco likes this.
  22. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for the clarification, Joe. I was apparently misinformed. I'll remember to bring a growler next time I'm in!

Ken

blatherbeard likes this.
  23. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Picked up a VaS *(well 2 actually) from King Liquors on burnet. Holy hell they have a good seletction. Also finally got the RA dry hopped porter as well as the last 4 pack of Narwhal. Im thinking i need to stop at this location more often. (its also where i got the black ops) a few bucks more than specs but not overly so.

Drank the VaS and i still cant believe that sucker is 10 percent abv!

24. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (80) Texas Jan 10, 2013

shhhhh. jeez.

25. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010