1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for good English IPAs in Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by draheim, May 1, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

The Best IPAs thread got me thinking, when we talk about IPAs on here it's basically assumed that we're talking about American IPAs. Then I started wondering, what are the most representative English IPAs that are available in my area, so I can really get an idea about the difference? Checked this list and this list, I'm not really sure which of these are available locally.

Can anyone point me to an English IPA that is considered a "classic," representative of the style (if such a thing exists)? Basically I'm looking for the English IPA equivalent to a SNPA for the American pale ale.

Cheers!
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

If you checked that list. You have the answer.

Samuel Smiths.

Cheers!
  3. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Print the second list and go shopping to find what is available to you.
  4. Mr. Foster has summed it up. 3rd highest rated, and is available practically anywhere and everywhere.
  5. thornbridge Jauipur is good if available in the NW
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

That's on the 3rd most rated list.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I was checking the Northwest Liquid Gold website to see if they carried anything for you but I see that they no longer ship beer. :(
  8. Oops! Serves me right for being too lazy to spend an extra couple of seconds reading what list it even was lol
    Cheers!
  9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Thornbridge Jaipur is probably my favorite English IPA. That being said, I think this beer is fairly atypical for an English IPA. The alcohol is a bit on the high side (relatively speaking), and the beer is hoppier then most English style IPA's (all this would tend to explain why I like it so much).

I'll go with everyone else and recommend the Samuel Smith IPA as the classic representation of the style.
  10. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Think it's tap only, but Foggy Noggin beers are all English-style, and I've had their Diablo De Sol at their "taphouse."

I can't really compare it to anything else, though...
    NWer likes this.