1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for great IPAs/beers in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by shawnohall, Dec 25, 2012.

1. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Is there an IPA or other type of ale that is incredible in it's own right, maybe even bordering on legendary (ha ha) but more readily available? Thanks and Merry Christmas.
  2. I think Sculpin is out there.
  3. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Few of them far as the ratings go; nothing quite attains the status Younger has but for easily available/easily traded for, HopSlam will be out soon and Abrasive is currently available.

Also, this question is suited best to the Trading Help forum.
  4. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (290) Washington Aug 28, 2012

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/140

Print this list, take it to your local bottle shop and ask them what they can get. You'll notice that some of the highest rated DIPA's are probably not what you'd expect... Ruination, 90 min, Double Jack... These are all readily available (at least where I'm from). It should be more about what flavors you like in your beer and less about what every one else thinks about it IMO. Merry Christmas :)
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

2 on that list are readily available. And 2 are seasonally available (and not now). 2 more were limited and are now retired.

Good luck with that.

As for the original question... it's better served in the Southwest forum.

The brewery in your avatar just had a seasonal brew this summer ... SS Pro-Am 2012 that was a DIPA that was absolutely out of this world. Hitting Houston right now in bottles is Deep Ellum IPA, which is a completely wonderful IPA... local to Dallas and just now being sent out in bottles. I'm more of a sour and stout drinker than anything, but we do get some fantastic IPA selections from Stone, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Sierra Nevada amongst others along with many fantastic Deschutes varieties that other parts of the country crave and enjoy.

Check out the 'Best of 2012 Texas Craft Beer' thread over at the Southwest forum for more ideas:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/best-texas-craft-beer-of-2012.56658/

And please. Never trust the top 50 (it's the official hype train, woo! woo!) and drink local.
  6. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

If you type in google Beer Advocate Beers of Fame Pliny the ELDER is #1. The younger and other brews have way less reviews. That said Pliny the Younger is only in kegs this year and the ELDER is by far the best DIPA I have ever had. Lives up to the hype.
  7. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

You'll probably never get younger in Texas, usually Cali only... May be a few kegs that make it to Philly area, not sure about that. Bt def not to texas
  8. Philly has gotten kegs in the past. I know several bars had them last March.
  9. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Cool, wasn't sure about the distortion to Philly, but knew it wouldn't make it to Texas...
  10. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

trading? he just wants to go pick up some beer, not do an ip for whatever he can get his hands on in texas?
  11. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
    Stone Ruination
    St Arnold Endeavour
    Ska Modus Hoperandi
    Full Sail IPA
    Deep Vellum IPA (depending on where in TX you are)
    (512) IPA

All of the above are excellent and most of them are readily available here in TX.
    gtermi likes this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I need to try this new Deep Vellum IPA. ;)
  13. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Whalz, bro.
  14. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

ISO: Deep Vellum IPA

Merry Christmas everybody!
  15. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I've always been pleased with Saint Arnold Endeavour..... it's a great dIPA
  16. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

If you can get it fresh.
  17. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Is there anything in Texas close to zombie dust?
  18. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'm down to about 8 of these left. No direct replacement.

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is close. Still isn't quite the same, but if you hanker ZD and can't get it, you probably won't be disappointed.
  19. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

20. ApostleBrewing

ApostleBrewing Zealot (80) Texas Oct 21, 2010

Deep Ellum's IPA. Central Market has it readily available.
    Daemose and Ford like this.
  21. Ford

Yes.. as is the best case with IPA's....
  22. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I really meant if you can find it fresh. Its difficult to find anything but oooollllllldd bottles some places.
    Daemose likes this.
  23. shawnohall

My original post was altered when moved to the Southwest section, and mentioned Pliny the Younger. Is there anything, IPA or another style, available in Texas (preferrably Houston area) that has achieved that legendary, "must try before you die" status...or is at least in the same ballpark, quality wise? Thanks again.
  24. shawnohall

Have you seen it in a Spec's anywhere? I don't recall seeing it in the Conroe Spec's.
  25. shawnohall

I try to "support my local brewery". Several Saint Arnold products and Southern Star Pine Belt Pale Ale have often graced my fridge.
  26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

There is no beer on earth as hyped/over hyped as the Younger. Not much is even close to the Elder in that department.
  27. Ford

Ah yes, it certainly is very important to check the bottle dates on Endeavour.. I've seen plenty of bottles from old releases out there before..
  28. ApostleBrewing

ApostleBrewing Zealot (80) Texas Oct 21, 2010

I haven't seen it at Specs, now that you say that.
  29. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

I'm fairly certain that they are draft only outside of the DFW area. They self-distribute, so it may be a little while before they are getting bottles out to other markets in Texas. Anyone know what all they are bottling at this point?