1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for Heady Topper in Boston

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jkane, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Does anyone know where I can buy Heady Topper in the Boston area? Bars, restaurants, or Liquor stores, doesn't matter.

2. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Gotta go to Vermont.

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Aficionado (205) New York Mar 15, 2004

Someplace North of Waterbury VT.Doesn't seem to make it to Bennington or Brattleboro..

4. on occasion, some bars (Lord Hobo/Eastern Standard) have it. otherwise, northwest VT :p

5. Thanks for the replies. Reading through all the other Heady posts, I am beginning to realize finding it down this way is very, very unlikely. Sucks to be us I guess.

6. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Dude, it's less than 4 hours away.

BeerGreg, jomobono, bruindre and 2 others like this.
  7. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

From Medfid, it's probably do-able in 3 1/2 hours.

It would be worth driving more than that.

8. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Someone from The Publick House was posting on twitter that they were up at the cannery today. Wouldn't be surprised to see cans available there soon.

9. I'm bringing a few four packs with me from Montpelier to south Boston sat. Will be at Cambridge brewing company sat afternoon and hanging in the city for the day.

10. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

better bring pepper spray

audioserf likes this.
  11. If you guys in MA are lucky it will begin showing up in southern Vermont soon with their expansion and you'll be able to come just across the border to get a fix (if you time it right, I'm sure...)

12. Drufus

Drufus Aficionado (170) Connecticut Apr 23, 2007

drive to VT, then be prepared to drive around to find it. I was at the brewery on Sunday and there were no cans to sell. The trip was not for nothing as I got to taste the stuff, and I can say that it is indeed amazing.

13. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

wonder if HT will not taste as good once it's easier to get.

14. Depends on how long it sits around on the shelf.

konabrewer likes this.
  15. As some have mentioned, it pops up randomly in Boston (Deep Ellum, Publick House and Eastern Standard). Best bet is to drive up on a Monday - though unfortunately HF is closed that day. Good luck!

16. People said the same thing when they bottled it. And again when they canned it.

17. Many isolated pockets selling bootleg HT around town. Just don't cringe at some of the prices - $12 per can at some joints.

18. Flashy

Thought HT was excellent when it was around during the summer- but come on folks wise up. I guess we all need a purpose.

19. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Huh?

Rosinante and Horbar like this.
  20. Horbar

I don't..... understand.... the words ....coming out of your mouth.

21. Flashy

Well I did go to Ireland once just to try Beamish. Wise up as in driving around VT to find a beer that is so hyped up is silly- but if that is what makes you happy, then do it. There was after all the Ireland trip for me.

22. Flashy

I guess Patriot fans are looking for something to do this weekend.

Patrick likes this.
  23. Horbar

I'm gonna put on a white suit and travel to Vermont. I'm going deer hunting. No guns, I'm just gonna stab em.

fearfactory and sandman3479 like this.
  24. I heard he was a Giants fan.

25. doesn't fade much with age. if anything it takes a couple weeks after canning to really shine. picked up 2 cases in late october, was at its best early-mid december believe it or not. only a 4-pack left and its still drinking REALLY good.

Finally got my hands on some Sucks last week and was able to taste heady and sucks back-to-back. expected them to be close from what i remembered of sucks last year, but heady was FAR superior!! not even close

Rosinante likes this.
  26. Flashy

Green Flash is pretty close in my book, but I am no expert.

27. This is obvious.

28. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It's available illegally throughout the area for upwards of $10 or more a can. You just need to keep an ear open and know where to look.

29. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

John Kimmich has said he likes it best about 4 weeks after canning.

damienblack likes this.
  30. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Isn't it $8 at Publick House?

31. After drinking many cases of Heady, I would say I agree with your statement about it drinking really good after many weeks. I enjoy it a day old or 6 weeks old, but it is a different beer as it sits for a while. One of the true joys in life is trying to decide which heady is best. Sometimes it was the previous one, sometimes the one i am drinking at the moment, but the best feeling is that i still have more to taste.

Although sucks is no heady, it is a wonderful beer and maybe the best west coast ipa/dipa after pliny.

32. Is last years Sucks completely different than this years? This year seems sweeter.

33. Horbar

Sucks is a fine beer, but I find it one dimensional. It lacks the body of an IPA and is nothing at all like Heady.

Rosinante likes this.
  34. ouch!

35. A Chinese restaurant near me is offering it for $8.50, have heard PH has it for $8. But many other places have it for over $10 as Todd stated.

36. Flashy

Now we are all looking for something to do.

37. Flashy

Did you figure out the words coming out of my mouth yet? We might start remedial night for BA's- or we can read or type slowly.

38. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Is all the stuff MA bars is still bootleg?

$9/can at Lord Hobo, iirc.

39. Vee Vee in JP tweeted that they have some to celebrate their 5th anniversary this week.

40. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I dont understand these bars that advertise that they have it. Its highly illegal for them to be selling it, no?