1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for pairing suggestions on a Mexican dish

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Bakker, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

New Years Eve the guys are cooking and the ladies get to clean up when we're done! It's worked out great the last few years.
    Anyway, I need help pairing up a beer with the main course I am cooking.
    I'm doing homemade sopes, a layer of frijoles negros seasoned just right with a little chorizo, grilled venison marinated in a cilantro marinade, topped with lettuce, queso fresco and your favorite table salsa.
    So what do you think?

2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

A nice Amber like Stone Levitation would go with the spice of the chorizo, I like Scotch Ales like Founders Dirty Bastard with game like venison and strangely enough I like Oktoberfests and dark lagers with spicy mexican food, I even think a nice clean pilsner would do the trick of quenching your thirst without overpowering the many layers of flavor in the main dish. But like most things, this is just my opinion and you probably have different tastebuds so have a couple options on hand, including your personal favorite stand by beer.

Bakker likes this.
  3. mexican food go mexican beer...i'd suggest negro modelo or pacifico claro

i typically drink tecate with mexican...but you have to be a fan to enjoy it with food

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Tecate out of a can has a distinctive metal taste. Draft isn't half bad, but if you're going to go that route I think Dos Equis,(horrible ad campaign encluded), wins the day.

5. promark420

promark420 Aficionado (150) Georgia Nov 12, 2005

If those beans have epazote (and why shouldn't they?), I'd go with the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. The lemongrassiness and overall flavor should be innocuous enough to complement the herb's but not overpower anything.

6. i usually have tecate out of a bottle...i prefer it that way...but dos equis amber is also a good pair with mexican food

7. I would recommend a hoppy porter or possibly a (Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA/ American Dark Ale) or whatever the hell those beer are being called at present. The hoppy notes should work well with the cilantro and slight spice that you get from the chorizo as the darker roasted malt notes will echo in the frijoles and meld with the gaminess of venision.

A Saison of darker variety could also work well here as well as a Schwartzbier if you wish.

Typical Mexican beers will probably not deliver what you are looking forward to as far as providing an actual pairing.

If you go with any canned beers, it helps to drink those from a glass, putting your lips on top of a metal can will impart a distinctly metallic flavor. Kegs are just giant cans!

8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008