1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Looking for recommendations for Houston trip

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by masterhomebrewer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Would like to hit a brew pub, beer bar and authentic Houston foodie joint off the beaten path. Goode's looks interesting if not a bit too polished for my tastes -- anyone familiar with the tap list there?

Will be especially appreciative of recommendations for down and dirty Houston/Texas eateries -- bar-b-ques, seafood, whatever. Will be staying in Seabrooke, so Houston's close enough, but don't want to travel more than 30-ish miles as our trip is short.

Thanks in advance for tips!

2. lnashsig

lnashsig Savant (330) Texas Oct 30, 2010

Must see Bars:
    1) Hay Merchant: http://www.haymerchant.com/ (79 taps, 5 casks, great food)
    2) Petrol Station: 34 taps, incredible burgers and chill laid back neighborhood craft beer bar
    3) Flying Saucer Downtown or Sugarland

Must see restaurants with great craft selection:
    1) Queen Vic (awesome indian food, great craft beer and cocktails)
    2) BRC (great craft beer, great southern style food)
    3) Downhouse (great craft beer, great food)

Great bottleshops:
    1) D&Q (Richmond and Montrose)
    2) Specs downtown

excellent beer selection also found at HEB Bunker Hill and HEB Buffalo speedway

Enjoy your time in Houston! Cheers!

3. lnashsig

Goode Company has great BBQ (they also have a great seafood, mesquite grill place), but you will not find goode (had to use the pun) beer there.

4. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

There are some nice SPECS locations closer to where you will be staying too. You never know what you will find at different SPECS locations, and distribution is through a different company down in Galveston county than in Houston. There is a Boondoggles Pub on Nasa Parkway, for a quick TX craft pint and inexpensive bite, very close to where you will be staying. I am mentioning this because it is in the area you will be staying in. Not the best of the craft world, but the best I can think of if you wanna grab a quick brew in the neighborhood. Also a Molly's nearby on 518. They will have a TX craft selection too, and 20 or 30 something taps. D&Q is the big must hit bottle shop in Houston, don't let it's appearance throw you off. All the first guy said are the best Houston has. He did however leave out the Ginger Man. The original location is in Houston, near Rice University. Unfortunately, we have no brew pubs. There are a few breweries though, worth checking out if you are going to be here on the weekend. Fun to tour and taste the offerings.

BJs claims to be a brewpub, though most of its beer is brewed through contract with Saint Arnold. They do brew some stuff on site at some locations I think. There is a location on Bay Area BLVD. Kinda pricey too.

Galveston may make a nice trip for you. The link below shows pretty much everywhere that serves craft beers.
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6050170_brew-pubs-galveston_-texas.html

If anything else comes to mind, I will let you know.

5. OK, thanks for the great help. My itinerary is coming together nicely!

6. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

They pretty much covered Houston, but if you do end up in Galveston, be sure to check out Brews Brothers. They weren't on that link. They opened a couple months ago. They aren't brewing yet, but they do have a nice craft selection.

7. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

I live a few blocks down from Goode Co BBQ yet I still drive 15 minutes to Luling City Market. I think it's so much better that I go out of my way. But discussing who has better bbq with a Texan can lead to an endless argument or possible gunfire so I'm just throwing out my Luling recommendation (which also wont have a good beer selection). I agree with all of your other suggestions, though!

8. Frozenmoses

Frozenmoses Aficionado (230) Texas Nov 23, 2010

This place is legit? I've lived here for about 3 years and haven't tried it because it's a chain. I have yet to have respectable BBQ in Htown. Might try this out tonight.

9. lnashsig

I find it hard to call something a "chain" that only has like 3 locations and they are all in the same city. Go to the original location (Kirby and Westpark), order anything. Make sure to get the potato salad. Amazing BBQ, I still think it's the best in the city.

10. lnashsig

Not to fire the first shot of the BBQ war, but I HATE Luling City Market. Think their BBQ is dry and disgusting.

11. Frozenmoses

Didn't realize it was that small of a company. I see the one on i10 and the one in cypress all the time. I just assumed they were all over the city. Thanks for the tip, I'll take the wife there for dinner tonight.

12. Walden97

ha! I think the same about Goode, too! We better just let this one die out before it gets ugly! ;)

13. davacano

davacano Disciple (65) Texas Feb 2, 2010

Have you tired Gatlin's in the Heights? Some of the best BBQ in the city.

14. Frozenmoses

I tried some BBQ joint in the heights a couple years ago but the name escapes me at the moment. Whatever it was, it was average at best. Next time I'm in the area I'll check this place out.

15. UTCengOwl

UTCengOwl Aficionado (240) Texas May 27, 2010

I liked Goode Co. when I was in undergrad. That was before I went to Lockhart for the first time, though. Now... I couldn't see myself really caring to go back.

16. Frozenmoses

Just went there for dinner, not bad at all, but nothing to write home about. I guess I've been spoiled by Salt Lick and the Lockhart BBQ scene.

17. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Best BBQ in Houston bare none is Gatlins. A close second is Beavers (which has a very good local beer selection)...anyway

Like has been said
    Hey Merchant (less than a month old) best beer bar in Houston.
    Down House has one of the most under rated selections in town...
    Petrol Station, Gingerman, Flying Saucer are the typical beer bars.
    Love Anvil (same people as Hey Merchant) and Queen Vic (one of the best restaurants in town and a great beer selection) as well. All are listed on the Houston beerfly page.

18. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (340) Texas Oct 2, 2007

Goode Co is a solid choice, Luling has the best BBQ chicken in town but thats it, if you want the best BBQ in Houston head up North Shepherd to Burns BBQ( this is southern Black BBQ ) once you have black you will never go back.

19. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

That's why I'm hooked on Stouts. All the best have been brought up so far on this forum. If your in town around the second Sunday of any month we have our BA Tasting at the Ginger Man at 1:30pm.

20. Not a chain and their meat is good (love the duck), but I hate their BBQ sauce. (Closer to marinara than BBQ.) On the other hand, I have a friend from Houston who now lives in Portland who LOVES their sauce. As someone else said though, BBQ is too subjective with regards to "the best".

21. As a foodie, I recommend checking out Feast. (In fact, this is my top recommendation for food in Houston.) They also have a decent European selection of beers to include Orval at a not too obscene price. Beavers is also a great recommendation. As someone who traveled to Houston for several years before moving here recently, those are the only two restaurants that I've tried that have stood out. (In the area you are looking to visit.)

Edit: I am putting a couple of restaurants on the "must visit" list from this thread though.

22. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

My suggestion is trying to hit up our ethnic restaurants. You name it we have it down here. Jamaican Food go to Reggae Hut, Greek- Niko Nikos, a mess load of TexMex and Vietnamese places, and I second Feast (Ooful cuisine).

23. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Think you meant offal. Feast is definitely the place to go if you're adventurous about food.

24. Frozenmoses

If you really want to hit up world class cuisine in Houston, check out Mark's American. You'll pay out the nose, but holy shit, you'll remember the meal for a month. Try their bread pudding.

25. lnashsig

The key about their sauce (which I love) is the bacon in it. It is a love it or hate it sauce, but I'm on the love it side.

26. lnashsig

27. Walden97

Haha...so were 20 others so I'm not too worried. We apparently agree about some of the other food joints in town so there must be some difference in our BBQ flavor detecting genes.

28. Dude, Boondoggles!!! http://www.boondogglespub.com/ Minutes from Seabrook and has the best food/beer selection in Clear Lake. If you feel like going into Houston, other cool places:

Richmond Arms http://www.richmondarmsonline.com/ Killer English food and great draft selection.

The Black Lab http://www.blacklabradorpub.com/ Also an English Pub dive with excellent food and beer selection.

The Flying Saucer http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/houston/ Easily the most selection for beer and really get food, but sometimes it's way crowded and has alot of douchebags around.

Also, if you can make it to Houston downtown Spec's, you will be totally rocked by the great selection of beer to purchase. Jesterking and Karbach, new Texas breweries you should try.
    http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/showmap?store=00&

30. 2378GCGTG

2378GCGTG Savant (270) Texas Dec 7, 2011

An addendum to this list should include Brews Brothers. Best craft beer bar in town bar none (had to), there are also many other great bars not listed on that site that have some decent brews

31. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Galveston is coming up for sure. Pre-Ike there wasn't much craft beer to be found in local bars. Most bars out there are new, thanks for the info! I didn't read the list(stupid moment I suppose), before posting it.