Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

This just hit the Chicago area. Price is $16.99 for a 12.7 oz. bottle. It appears to have shipped in limited quantities to this market. Is this worth picking up? Personally, I love a great sour (Supplication is my personal favorite), and this being a cherry sour, all the better, but the price makes me a bit weary.

2. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

(this is a serious comment) I heard it's flat this year. Any confirmation?

3. I haven't heard flat... but I have heard terrible.
    Last year I would have but a ton at that price but I haven't bought any this year just based off the negative things I've heard from people who loved the beer in prior releases.

4. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, maybe that's what I heard...not flat, just bad. Can't remember.

5. That sucks. Last years was nice. I still have one left so maybe I'll get one of this years batch and do a side by side. If I do, I will report back.

6. Please do I'm curious to know

7. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I have drank 1 bottle from this year's release. It was by far the worst of the couple dozen or so bottles I've consumed in my lifetime.

8. Lansman

Wow. Now if that isn't clear cut, I don't know what is. I might buy one just to try, and be sure to keep my receipt.

9. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

It'll be on draft at Fountainhead on Monday. I've already decided this will be my first pour, so I'll find out if there's a potential Red Eye situation.

10. That's a shame, I really like this beer.

11. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

None of these posts are encouraging...never good to hear that there is a good chance that your 12.7 oz bottle that costed $16.99 is going to suck. :confused: Anyhow, I'm going to try hitting Fountainhead on Monday as well to check it out on tap prior to cracking the bottle.

12. hahah of course this years is the worst.. it always is these days.. everyone loves to wax poetic about past years being the best.. im getting sick of BA's

punkrkr27, FlssmrBrewAlum and bradner like this.
  13. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

I really like Red Poppy. Anyone else taste this year's batch yet? If I hear some good things, then I'm ISO

14. Four months is way too soon to be this jaded about BA...

The fact is that Lost Abbey, despite making some very good beers, have plenty of bad releases. Brandy Angel's Share 2011 was infected, ALL of the Older Viscosity vintages were flat until 2010, and we've all given up hope for carbonated bottles of Angel's Share. Being concerned that this year's Red Poppy will not be good is fair and reasonable. $17 buys a lot of disappointment.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying this on tap.

chanokokoro likes this.
  15. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

They've built some equity with me via Deliverance, which is just awesome. I've had a flat and screwed up Angels Share, and one that was actually fine. But I think I will steer clear of the Poppy.

16. This year's Red Poppy is disappointing. I regret buying my bottles. Gotta try before ya buy.

17. chanokokoro

I didn't make it over to Fountainhead tonight. How was it? How was Red Poppy on tap?

18. chanokokoro

Yep. There's a long history of inconsistent carbonation with The Lost Abbey's brews. I wish they would figure it out. Yet, I still shelled out the $17 for Red Poppy :rolleyes:...

19. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Delicious. Loads of barrel character.

chanokokoro likes this.
  20. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Completely agree. I enjoyed it so much that I hope there's more today.

chanokokoro likes this.
  21. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I know a place in central IL that still had bottles of last year's as of January. Is there any indication of bottling dates or years on the LA brews ? I'd love to go pick those up this weekend, but don't want to get burned by this year's...

22. No high-five? For shame...

EDIT: Also - Monomoy Kriek >> Red Poppy.

TotallyHosed likes this.
  23. bradner

bradner Savant (350) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

This year's Red Poppy says "Vintage 2012" in yellow on the neck of the bottle. I want to say that the 2011 doesn't have a date.

24. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Awesome, that will make my purchase a lot easier this weekend. Thanks!

25. Lansman

Opened a bottle of this last night with two others - we all agreed that the beer smelled like moldy cheese, but the beer was very delicious and the highlight of the night. Nicely balanced with good mouthfeel. Definitely worth giving it a try.

26. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

I preferred last year's fruitier version over this one which I though had more of a dirty/funk taste to it. To each his own...

27. bradner

bradner Savant (350) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

If I recall, there was a thread last year about the unpleasant aroma of the 2011 vintage. I did not experience that with any of the bottles I had though.