1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lost Abbey Red Poppy in CA?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by TheAngryBurrito, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I have not heard that this was releasing yet (just that it would be Mid-Winter), but El Cerrito Liquor just posted on Facebook that they have this in. Has anyone seen it anywhere else?
  2. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I've been on the waiting list @ beership for 8-9 months and haven't heard anything yet...
  3. Barons in murrieta has had it on the shelves since last release, still there now. Not sure about the new release though.

Also just to ask, do you think it's worth twice the price of Cuvée Des Jacobins?
  4. Definitely, but not on a regular basis. I was kind of disappointed the Jacobins is filtered and not bottle fermented.
  5. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

just had a red poppy from trade recently, very tasty
  6. I almost bought a bottle today actually... my timing was beautiful, but I was persuaded to buy a Cantillon haha.
    HopsintheSack likes this.
  7. Fresh

Fresh Aficionado (160) California Dec 27, 2012

Saw it at local bottle shop in Orange County, CA today
  8. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

i saw it on shelves in santa cruz this passed weekends. while its good the price point for size always makes me pass
    dianimal and kojevergas like this.
  9. how long do you guys think red poppy could age and be worth it?
  10. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Cuvee de Jacobins is a good beer and all, but pales in direct comparison. I did a blind test with Oude Tart, La Folie, and Jacobins and it got absolutely slaughtered.
    luwak likes this.
  11. Abes 6 pack in Bethlehem still has it. I bought one a while back and enjoyed but not for the high pricetag. Rather just drink a $7 Rodenbach.
  12. Which shop if I may ask?
  13. I agree all of the other beers listed are overall better, but I really do enjoy jacobins at the price and availability. I really really enjoy pouring an equal amount of Framboise with a sour brown like red poppy or jacobins. I close my eyes and pretend its a track 5.
  14. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

honestly i think it's one of the 10~20 best beers in america, but i buy it rarely due to price. if you like sour cherry, you'll like red poppy. one of the most accurate bits of ad copy i've ever read (shit about the beer being a celebration/explosion of sour cherry or whatever; delivers that a hundred fold).
    luwak likes this.
  15. 2012 is still on shelves by me. $25-27/375ml though, which is too steep for me given all the other quality options out there.
  16. Fresh

Fresh Aficionado (160) California Dec 27, 2012

Hacienda Beverage (Brea). Its the smaller bottle and was 15.99
    ZombieJester likes this.
  17. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

this just showed up at Stearns Liquor!!
  18. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Yeah for those thinking about the money i'd say: don't hesitate if you are into sour red stuff.
    This beer is fantastic!
  19. Wow those are way over priced, the 2012 is still on the shelves at 12.99 here.
  20. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Huh. I'll have to try this again some time. Don't know the age of the bottle, but our impression was watery, washed out and 'muddy' flavors with gentle acidity. Really tame and nondescript.
    I don't like beat you over the head sours and prefer balance and complexity. This just had... Well, not much there.
  21. They also just got some Supplication in, and for a few bucks less I'd definitely take that instead.
  22. El Cerrito Liquor has it at 16.99 but I think I'm gonna pass. Lost Abbey bottles are just never worth the high cost. Maybe I'll buy one just to send out as an extra in a trade
  23. A friend who lives in Long Beach is headed over there to pick up a bottle for me. Hopefully they will still be in when he gets off work.
  24. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Mr kegs in HB had it yesterday when I picked up some sucaba. Don't remember the pricepoint exactly, but around 15/bottle.
  25. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

It's in San Diego. I saw it yesterday on the shelf.
  26. Valley Beverage and Vendome TL put it on twitter today. I tried last years. Good stuff but pricy.
  27. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (280) Florida Sep 15, 2012

me and a buddy cracked open a 2011 red poppy, supplication and consecration during super bowl weekend and we both thought that the aged red poppy blew the others away but dont get me wrong those rr sours are great but man that red poppy was incredible!
  28. Saw Poppy, Deliverance Ale, and Angels Share at Bill's in Atwater when I was there a few hours ago.
  29. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Saw some at Whole Foods in Westwood.
  30. Still sitting on shelves in San Diego. $17.99
  31. Damn, Stearns was out by the time my friend got over there. Maybe I should just drive down to the brewery.