1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Love hate relationship with Belgian (and belgian style) beers-

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gregfalone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I love some authentic Belgians beers, whether they be triples, dubbels, quads or strong darks ales, but I've noticed many if them have a taste, that to me, tastes a little bit barfy... Like vomit. Is there something about Belgian yeast that has a slightly vomit like taste to it? The better ones don't seem to have this tinge to them, but I've noticed many of the lesser beers seem to have a slightly vomity smell/taste to them...
  2. The only beer I've ever had that had a vomit character was New Belgium's Peach Porch Lounger. Funny part is that the rep that sells it to me at the store always rolls his eyes and says "gotta count the puke." Aside from that I can't say I have ever had a Belgian or Belgian-style beer that had any notes of vomit.
  3. shwurr

shwurr Aspirant (35) California Nov 15, 2012

I sortof agree. Its an aftertaste of regurgitated fruit and spice that's sickeningly sweet but with a lingering hint of stomach acids. I've been drinking Leffe lately as a cheap replacement for Duvel (<3) and notice it after a couple bottles on the afterburp.
  4. Cozzatoad

Cozzatoad Savant (295) Italy Feb 2, 2011

Sugars, yeast, sweet fruit flavours. When mixing properly you'll get a great beer, unlucky bottles may have that kind of blah feel