1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Low ABV beers just for certain states

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by larrychandler, Jan 28, 2013.

1. larrychandler

larrychandler Aspirant (25) Utah Jan 28, 2013

This has been known to happen. :) Las Vegas has a great beer selection. I don't go just for the beer, though. There's also wine to consider. There are some good beers in the State stores here in Utah, but I won't stock up on them since their prices are too high. I will buy it locally if I just want to sample something new.

2. larrychandler

There are always reports of the police stopping people who buy alcohol from across the border stores, but it's rare, at least in Southern Utah. Buddy of mine was driving back from California, had $1,000 worth of wine in his car. Was speeding. Was stopped. Police looked in, saw the wine, gave him a speeding ticket, but didn't confiscate it.

3. I used to just go to Lee's Discount Liquor in Mesquite. Much closer than Vegas.

4. larrychandler

Lee's is great for a quick trip. I go to Vegas for so many other reasons, including good restaurants, so that's where I stock up. Total Wine and Whole Foods have great beer selections, and Marche Bacchus and Costco are great for wine.

5. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I thought it was a bit amusing that on the Black Crown website it says this: "*Except in OK and UT, and certain stores in CO, KS and MN where Budweiser Black Crown is 3.2% alc/vol."

I suppose it's an easy mistake to make for some marketing person in charge of the website who is unfamiliar with the difference between alcohol by weight and alcohol by volume, but it sure does make the beer sound watered down, which I'm guessing is the opposite of the message they want to be sending out with this beer :p .

6. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I seriously wonder if they actually brew 3.2 versions of the light beers. The regular version would seem to fall within the "margin of error" if tested and it would save breweries a lot of time and effort.

When in college we always bought Pabst 3.2 kegs after 10 pm when we realized we were out of beer and still had a lot of party left in us. A local bar sold 3.2 kegs believe it or not so we'd hustle over and get Pabst because we had heard they just paid the fine instead of brewing 3.2 beer and put real beer in their kegs. Probably an old urban legend but we went with it at the time.

Crusader likes this.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

That's an interesting question. I would imagine that federal law is the law of the land due to the supremacy clause, so even if there's no leeway given in the Utah code the federal law takes precedent and allows for that 0,3% variation that was indicated in another thread.

That's an interesting societal experiment if I ever saw one, if that's indeed the case, the same 4.2% beer being sold as either 4.2% abv or 3.2%abw, with the latter being viewed as severely lacking in alcoholic strenght.

8. jimmah120

jimmah120 Savant (355) Minnesota Feb 21, 2012

this is a thing?

9. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

It used to be that those black bottle caps (crowns) distinguished the 3.2 ABW E.P.A. to the full strength version with the yellow caps, but I['m sure it's changed with the new label design.

3.2% ABW E.P.A. was always a great draught beer!

10. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Spent a night in OK once, crushed a 12pk of Bud while watching TV in the hotel. Couldn't figure out why I was barely buzzed. Then I noticed the cans had a small image of the state of OK on them and the 3.2%.

11. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

A belated P.S.:

A message from Chip Walton at Summit a few weeks back reminded me that the 3.2 version of EPA has been out of circulation for well over a year, now. :(

12. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

There's plenty of good beers in UT, you just may have to buy what you want in the State Store. :)

BTW, If you are a hiker, be sure to check out Arches, Canyonlands, and Capital Reef, folks tend to neglect them so the crowds won't be so thick and the scenery is spectacular. Also, a good brewery in Moab, not far from Arches.

13. Rogue Dead Guy is 10% in Oregon; everywhere else it is about 6%

14. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Savant (310) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2014

Since Utah Law states that it is illegal to sell beer above 4% abv on any of the days of the week ending with "day", yes. Unless you are on a unicycle, and pay for your brew in Sacagawea coins, are you then able to enter what is termed the "Devil Zone" aisle. If beer is proof that there is a God, loves us, and wants us to be happy, stop the madness! ;)

15. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Woah, blast from the past! (The post you quoted was from January 2013 and I vacationed in UT in September 2013!)

I did get some some decent beer with dinner most nights in UT. Apart from our visit to Moab Brewery it was all in bottles, but that's ok. I found stuff I liked from Moab Brewery, Zion Canyon Brewery, and Wasatch Brewing (Polygamy Porter was really good!). Apart from a few drafts at Moab Brewery, everything was ~4%, which was actually great, because I would have had to drive back to the hotel each evening and we were always getting up at the crack of dawn to hit the road, so being drunk or hungover was not going to fly.

With the recent increase in popularity of low-ABV, sessionable beers now would be a great time for UT breweries to try to expend distribution to other areas of the country.

It was a great trip. We flew into Moab and rented a one-way car, did Arches and Canyonlands (2 days), then drove to Monument Valley and a drive-by of Lake Mead ending up in Kanab (1 day), Bryce Canyon [which was my favorite] back to Kanab (1 day), Grand Canyon North and South rims to Phoenix (attended a family wedding).

I'm going back to UT someday though... I still need to see Zion Nat'l Park and hiking Coyote Buttes is on my bucket list, assuming I can get picked for the daily hiking permit lottery.

Not quite... I got beer above 4% at Moab brewery, so there are some exceptions.

drtth likes this.
  16. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

:) Didn't notice someone had resurrected a thread from over a year ago.

Glad to hear you had a good trip and did get to some of my favorite places. The natural beauty and diversity of the whole state, not just Southern Utah, is one of the things I miss most about not living in Utah any longer.

17. Holy crap ! I found a reason to like NY. No ABV laws. I'm sure it's next on Mario Cuomos to do list however

TejasMtnBiker likes this.
  18. jimmah120

jimmah120 Savant (355) Minnesota Feb 21, 2012

Tis a shame. No wonder I couldn't find it. :p

Chaz likes this.
  19. Colorado is also a 3.2% state for all convenience stores and gas stations. Boulder Beer and Tommyknocker actually make lower alcohol versions of their beers to fit that market.

Also, there are laws against owning more than one retail liquor license, which prevents any chains like Total Wine of Binny's but also kept places like Trader Joes from coming here until recently.

20. Sounds like you had a good trip. We did so many trips to UT we lost track. I need to go back while the knees still work.